Attempt #2 at horn button center reproduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried once to make the “TOYOTA” center piece of steering wheels. ant had a good process but it took a lot of time with slow production time. I spoke to someone I know in the resin business and here is what we came up with. I will post pics and thoughts of this process if anyone is interested.

2E268D28-003B-4050-88A9-1F39DDBF6CF5.jpeg

192E8E81-7144-4B37-982B-119DFA95173F.jpeg

D1528504-37C3-4BFA-BDAE-79C4F6F4D56D.jpeg

96CA563C-B57B-4529-8BDD-58FB00389EB5.jpeg

If they come out good, I’ll start selling them if anyone is interested. The main reason I’m doing it, is for the people who’s steering wheels repair .

Curious to know how you made your two part mold. Interesting design.

I'm still playing around with my creations...

View attachment 1579417
A guy at a resin company made it for me, charged me $50 for the two part resin and two forms.

The only bad part is it takes 24 hrs to make two. I’m going to make a form to make 5 at one go around.

Curious to know how you made your two part mold. Interesting design.

I'm still playing around with my creations...

View attachment 1579417
How are you getting the colors? A green one would look nice in my FJ. Let me know if you sell any more also.

You can dye resin any color you want. I see you're having issues with bubbles. A pressure pot would do wonders.

You can dye resin any color you want. I see you're having issues with bubbles. A pressure pot would do wonders.
I just got the bubbles figured out, working on paint now.

Pressure pot? I’ve always used a vacuum pot to remove bubbles from acrylic or epoxy resins.
The epoxy resin I’ve used is virtually unbreakable.

Most videos I’ve watched (YouTube) people use pressure pots. How much of a vacuum do you use? Have you ever tried to make one of these ?

s all that stuff probably not the cheapest ;i have been casting toy and model parts for years juts takes time to get them right

20+ years of resin casting experience here, general rule of thumb: vacuum the silicon, pressurize the resin. Heat gun can be used to remove bubbles if you don't have a pressure pot. Nice casts!!

If one of you would like to try to mold some, I’ll srnd the form to you.

looks like the mold you've got works really well! I get (on average,) 25-30 pulls from that type of silicon before they start to tear.. here's a link to a cheap pressure pot solution, 20-30 lbs is usually enough to clear bubbles, should have no issues if you're using the long set up stuff. Side note, every bubble introduced must find its way out, mix slowly without "whipping," pour resin with cup touching mold or as close as you can get it as the pouring stream will drive bubbles under.. clear is definitely the hardest resin to master, good luck!!

2-1/2 gal. Air Pressure Paint Tank

I’m tired of messing w/ it, if you want to make a few I’ll give you one of the molds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom