STIHL 1110 Series (040, 041, 041 Farm Boss, 041AV, 041 Super) 1968 - 1982 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an 041 that puts out WAY too much bar oil. It comes out right where it should to oil the bar, but the adjuster no longer controls the flow of oil. It ends up pouring out the bottom and soaking the chain and bar. It drips onto my boots - WAY too much oil. I have had this saw for 30+ years, and this problem just developed in the last two seasons. I have replaced the pump with a used one, but obviously the pump is working. I have also replaced the adjuster, again with a used one, to no avail. I get no oil into the crankcase, or out the front, just tons at the bar holes.

Holes in bar are clear. Any ideas?

Remove the guide bar studs. You can use a pair of Vise Grips or double nut them and back them out. Remove the guide plate. Don't' loose the little black rubber block that is behind the guide plate and the slot/groove in the head of the adjuster screw. Pull the adjuster screw out of the channel it sits in. Clean the area and check for cracks.

It is not uncommon for a person to tighten down the side cover and not have the adjustment pin lined up with the adjuster pin hole in the guide bar. When the outer side cover is tightened down, this misaligned pin/hole will push the pin against the back of the channel and create a crack. The other side of that crack is the oil reservoir.

Just a thought.

Post up some pictures of where the oil is coming from and I may be able to diagnose it a little better.

Remove the guide bar studs. You can use a pair of Vise Grips or double nut them and back them out. Remove the guide plate. Don't' loose the little black rubber block that is behind the guide plate and the slot/groove in the head of the adjuster screw. Pull the adjuster screw out of the channel it sits in. Clean the area and check for cracks.

It is not uncommon for a person to tighten down the side cover and not have the adjustment pin lined up with the adjuster pin hole in the guide bar. When the outer side cover is tightened down, this misaligned pin/hole will push the pin against the back of the channel and create a crack. The other side of that crack is the oil reservoir.

Just a thought.

Post up some pictures of where the oil is coming from and I may be able to diagnose it a little better.

Thanks for your response. I guess that's a possibility, but it seems like the oil is just pouring out through the slot that feeds the oil ports in the bar at a ridiculous rate. I have bent the adjuster pin in the past by doing what you suggested though, so who knows, maybe I cracked the case. I will check that.

I am having the same problem on my 041 Farm Boss, however the over oiling is because the adjustment screw for the oil control flow will not turn and is stuck in the wide open position. Any ideas as to how to get this screw to turn without splitting the crankcase? I have tried to turn it manually (with the orange knob off) with needle nose pliers and needle nose vice grips but it just will not turn. From what I've gathered, it is supposed to have between 3/4 and a full turn of adjustment. I'm consuming a full tank of oil to a 1/3 tank of gas. There is no oil leaking anywhere from the front nor is it going into the crankcase. I have the oil pump out and all seems ok with the pump and the worm gear. Why will this adjuster screw not turn?? Please help!!

Here is the adjusting "Flow Control" knob you are cranking on.

Remove the clutch assy and the aluminim cover. There is a "C" clip on the bottom side of the adjuster knob. Remove the clip and the knob will pull straight up. It is held in place by the black o ring.
No need to split the case to access it.

041 oiler adjuster.PNG

Hi Dan,
The pump drive shaft has a bevel on the worm gear end do I slide the pump back in with the bevel facing a certain way?
Thanks for any help that you can give me,
Hi Paul did you ever figure which direction the bevel on end of shaft should be orientated? I'm having a problem getting the pump to fully seat and therefor cannot get the spring clip into the channel. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Oil pump shaft spins. Doesn't matter which way it is pointing. The spring sets the tension.
Thanks for the quick reply. Any thoughts on why I cannot get the pump to fully seat? I'm probably 1/16" away from getting it fully seated, but that is preventing me from getting the snap ring (which retains the oil pump) into the slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom