New Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
Here's few shots from our trip out west over Christmas break.

Saw this sign at a steak house in Louisiana.
Picture 052.jpg
Picture 053.jpg

you should have stole it.

A) Couple day after our arrival came record snowfall.
B) Good time to climb mt. Taylor--during the storm.
C) oops. Got a little to close to the ditch. glad my winch worked. No fun spending the night at ca 10k feet. The snow was up to my knees pulling the cable to the nearest tree.
Picture 150.jpg
Picture 162.jpg
Picture 159.jpg

A) after getting stuck on mt Taylor and struggling too much in that depth of snow I decided to stick to milder roads in the Zuni mountains which hover around 9k. There were some impassable roads there too but we found some great trails.
B-C) rewards were awesome scenery and great snow-tubing hills.
Picture 179.jpg
Picture 193.jpg
Picture 196.jpg

A) on the rocks
B) why not just say "please drive here" cuz thats what we did. An earlier attempt was blocked by deep snow. After the snow plow came through there remained a 3" layer of slushy volcanic mud. I fished tailed, slid and hit the occiassional snow bank for 8 miles in each direction. We drove till the snow got too deep.
C) they call it the "Chain of Craters" road. On the northern edge of el MalPais national monument--ca 20min drive from my mothers house. It follows a defunct volcanic rift which spewed ca 100 sq miles of lava (el malpais) and is lined with volcanic cinders cones. Its a fascinating landscape full of caves to be explored and scenery that comes out of a sci-fi movie. As you can see Mississippi doesn't have a monopoly on mud.
Picture 303.jpg
Picture 307.jpg
Picture 317.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics Barry. Thanks for sharing with us.

Be careful out there!

without a doubt, Barry Hause is the Indiana Jones of Cottonland.

Awesome pics!

Wow, what a trip. The pic of the deer is amazing, reminds me of the one you got of chestnut leaping into the pond.

Great pics. Thanks for posting. Next time I get the invite I'm going.

That old 60 has seen the country! Great pics. I wish we lived somewhere like that! Beautiful country.

Later,

I'm officially jealous of your Christmas break...so is Kristi!