9mm brake ferrule solutions needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTacos

Full Globetard
Threads
I am renewing the brakes on my '69 40. The PO crimped brake lines to eliminate leaky wheel cylinders, put the return springs on the shoes on the inboard side all around, installed the drums without retaining screws (I know, I know..... people with aftermarket billet rims or whatever do this so the fancy low profile spinners seat properly but I still think the retaining screws are ESSENTIAL!)

I got the front left "Y" pipe dismantled and found that the 9mm ferrules are quite mushroomed

I have heard that there are 9mm-10mm adapters available somewhere. Anyone know where?

It seems like it would be easiest to dump all my cracked f'ed up ferrules in the recycling bin with the lines and build a new system from the wheel cylinders to the master....am I thinking about this wrong?
9mm ferrule mushroom.jpg
9mm ferrule mushroom2.jpg

Last edited:
the older cruiser had the springs on the in board side before they started using the pins and springs to hold them in place.i have never used those screws on any of my personal cruisers because getting them out on top of a mountain at 2 in the morning when they are stuck is a bitch.i believe if you do a search you will find the napa part nos for the adapters go to 10 and be done with it.i thought they went to 10 mm in 68 but im not sure .

It seems like it would be easiest to dump all my cracked f'ed up ferrules in the recycling bin with the lines and build a new system from the wheel cylinders to the master....am I thinking about this wrong?

You're definitely on the right track.

Going from ancient 9mm fittings, single circuit hydraulics, non powered, non self adjusting 4 wheel drums...
to 10mm fittings, dual circuit power boosted master, 4wheel discs would be safer in many ways.

Just sayin....

Huh....both springs on the inboard side of the shoes? My Haynes manual clearly shows the trailing return spring on the outboard side. :meh:

You have a very good point about field service there. I have found that the drums can rotate slightly on the hub flange such that they hang up on the wheel studs. This was true on my 60 as well where one of the rear wheels didn't have the drum fixing screw. The other wheel required an impact driver to get the screw out. Both of these vehicles had badly neglected braking systems. Also, the 40 had lug nuts that were pretty loose so nothing was keeping the drums from rotating.

You're definitely on the right track.

Going from ancient 9mm fittings, single circuit hydraulics, non powered, non self adjusting 4 wheel drums...
to 10mm fittings, dual circuit power boosted master, 4wheel discs would be safer in many ways.

Just sayin....

I'm doing some of that. I have a '90 Camry dual circuit master that I am swapping in. I will probably put in a booster at some point and at least front discs. I'd kinda like to keep it original at this point bad breaking and all. In the words of the immortal Enzo Ferrari "What do you need good breaks for? They don't make the car go faster."

Do you know where I can find proper adapters for the wheel cylinders to go from 9mm male to 10mmx1 female?

I looked on Napa with no result.

Thanks for the help Jim.

hiya, when I did the change in my '69, i bought 9mm brake nuts from brakequip and made new lines. I just put new 10mm nuts on the other end to interface with the newer setup. That way when I go put disks in the rear, It should be a snap.
best, ty :beer:

http://www.brakequip.com/tubenuts.html

hiya, when I did the change in my '69, i bought 9mm brake nuts from brakequip and made new lines. I just put new 10mm nuts on the other end to interface with the newer setup. That way when I go put disks in the rear, It should be a snap.
best, ty :beer:

http://www.brakequip.com/tubenuts.html

So you made short lines with m9x1 on one end and m10x1 on the other and then replaced the "T" fitting that bolts to the backing plate? I think the T on mine has a 45 degree offset where the flexible hose attaches. Was it hard to get the flex hose to go onto the backing plate with a standard "T"?

Also, brakequip dosen't seem to have a retail portal. how do I order from them? Phone call?

I did the 9mm to 10mm from the t connector junction across the axle to a new three way junction (10mm). If you call brake quip, they can tell you if here is a dealer in your area. Best, ty
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom