dual purpose bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

son of a :censor:!

Honda FMX 650 - Google Search

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

2008%5C01%5C01%5Cbikepics-1133787-320.jpg

:bang:

she's a thumper to...

uhhh.....apparently BMW has a new scooter....

And being as though the Ducati Supermotard is like $14k, even with BMW's bike at (my MSRP guess) $8,500. It's gonna be hard figuring out which one I want more. My guess is gonna be on the more simpler one though....;)

looks light as ell to....

feast yer eyes!
2008_BMW_G450X.jpg
93795000_2thumb_550x410.jpg

That's not new, it's been around for over a year, just new here. BMW has won quite a few races in Europe with it. :cool:

G450X_1.jpg

"What makes the G 450 X so unique? It's the way it's engineered. Quite simply, there is technology on this machine that is totally revolutionary. First off, the countershaft sprocket and swingarm are on the same pivot, which keeps chain tension uniform at all times for better power delivery. The clutch is smaller and mounted directly on the crankshaft which means less heat and stress on the plate. A feisty, fuel injected, easy-starting engine that's mounted forward in a stainless steel, cradle-less frame puts serious, power to the ground, while an extra-long swingarm creates unstoppable traction. Add a gas tank under the seat for a lower center of gravity, no linkage Ohlin's shock, and a forward-mounted airbox, and this is a 450 cc thumper that stands alone as the most original machine to hit the dirt in years.
European model shown.
Not available in California at this time."

And she's FUEL INJECTED!! IDK, if it's "E" though. Might be "M"

Dual-sporting is seriously popular. I just picked up my second bike today to go along with my road bike ('95 Honda ST1100). The bike I just got is a '97 Honda XR400R, which has been plated to be street-legal.

See thats more appealing to me................ more dirt than street, cause thats what I plan on mostly using it for.

But I do not want a under powered dual purpose bike.

They are very cool. I've been reading about the G450X for about two years. That seat has got to be really uncomfortable. A very dirt oriented bike, not for long rides.

Review: 2009 BMW G450X Review - Motorcycle.com

Here's the review of the F800GS: 2009 BMW F800GS Review - First Ride - Motorcycle.com , which is I think what I want eventually...

Zeee Germans must all be tall. Every bike in that place was way too tall. Well, oddly enough, except for the Ducati SuperMotard.

With that "dirt bike" you'd have to well over 6" to straddle it and comfortable at the stops. I litterly felt I was among giants.

That and I'd hate to beach one of those whales (BMW Dual sports). They look heavey....

Zeee Germans must all be tall. Every bike in that place was way too tall. Well, oddly enough, except for the Ducati SuperMotard.

With that "dirt bike" you'd have to well over 6" to straddle it and comfortable at the stops. I litterly felt I was among giants.

That and I'd hate to beach one of those whales (BMW Dual sports). They look heavey....

adjust the suspension down then. :p:meh:

A friend of mine bought a new G450X and is bringing it over today.
His last bike was a Husky 610 which he was not at all happy with, lots of issues and slow to no parts.
Previous to the Husky he had the DRZ400, he is telling me the seat on the G450X, although it looks uncomfortable, is better than than either of the previous two.
I can't wait to take his for a rip, i rode a 610 in super moto form but was not impressed, so bring on the Beamer.

Buddy came over with his BMW for me to take for a scoot, Nice machine.
The bike is light, nimble, and has very good power.
The bar height and location of the pegs are great, i could stand up on this thing all day.
The seat looks like it would hurt but is surprisingly comfy.
His only complaint is the mileage, in a word it sucks 10ltrs per 100k his van gets better mileage.
Waiting for the dealer to get the proper scan tool to remedy the problem.
Bike came with two extra sprockets of differing tooth counts as well as a manual on disc.
BMW1.jpg
BMW2.jpg
BMW3.jpg

The seat looks like it would hurt but is surprisingly comfy.
His only complaint is the mileage, in a word it sucks 10ltrs per 100k his van gets better mileage.
Waiting for the dealer to get the proper scan tool to remedy the problem.
Bike came with two extra sprockets of differing tooth counts as well as a manual on disc.

take the "power plug" out...;)

Are they "E"FI? Or, Mechanical FI?

(I know E, but just check'n)

Power plug is already done, without it done it was bucking & stalling off idle.
I would think it is electronic fuel inj.
One other thing with this bike is the frame is made from stainless steel, seems like an odd material but the bike is light.

Sore ass....

there is one thing that is almost as importent as a god bike..
one comfy seat by Renazco...
latest longrun was a 2000km two day tripp..
IMG_0009-1.jpg

:doh: Thankfully no.

I hope hope hope I never do.

I think the "two kinds of riders, those that have laid it down and those that are going to" thing is BS.

One reason I chose this bike is because it's SO easy to ride and it's so forgiving. I'd have to do something really stupid to crash it.
Update?

As far as I know, he is following my axiom:

If you don't lay your dirt bike down at some point, you're doing it wrong. :flipoff2:

I mean on the trail. :lol: Let's hope the rubber never leaves the road. :cheers:

:cheers:

Me? I got dumped in August '09 when I got hit by some douchebag making a left-hand turn from the right-hand lane. :doh:

I've been looking hard at getting a dual sport. I like the KLX250's. It would be my first bike and I want something that is light and a little more suited to the dirt. I think the KLR650 might be too much for the off road riding that Iwill probably do.

I found an '05 Yamaha TW200 for $900 on craigslist nearby. He said it's not running but was last summer? :rolleyes: I'm getting ready to call him about it today.

That would probably be too slow for me to ride to work (50 miles round trip), but would definitely be fun on the dirt roads...

i personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a 250 if you plan on riding on the road. I think a 400cc is about a perfect beginner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom