Light Bar/Pods Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question about wiring up a light bar and light pods. I ended up picking up a cheap light bar and 4 spot light pods from ebay. I also got 2 wiring harnesses with their own relay and power button. I'm going to mount the light bar on the front bumper to 1 relay, and the 4 light pods on the roof rack wired to their own relay. The light bar seems straight forward enough, but the light pods have me wondering. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to electrics, and I'm not sure if this is how I would wire up the 4 spot lights. Is the attached diagram correct? Really I'm interested in the area circled in green. Also the links for the cheap ebay lights and relay are below. Thanks.

2 of these 1pc LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit 12V 40Amp Fuse Relay ON/OFF Switch NEW 689720973810 | eBay

1 of these CREE Single Row 22inch 416W Combo Led Light Bar + 4x 4inch 18W Spot Pods 20" 24" | eBay

Wiring diagram Imgur

The way you’re talking sounds fine.

One suggestion is to use the plugs they have on the lights & pods - the reason you see “foggy lenses” / condensation in LED lights is people clip the plug & use butt connectors, letting moisture run up the black sheath & into the housing.

Clipped plugs from used LED’s (esp Rigid) is a sign they were probably stolen & the buyer/user gets what they deserve when their light fogs up within 3-6mo in WA.

My buddy at the local car stereo shop told me that little tip about not clipping the connectors- when you look you see how even the cheapies are weather resistant from the housing to the plug.

So leave all those little square connectors & butt connect to the plug pigtail any length of wire you need to extend to make all 4 pods join in a spot you can access easily (either underhood or underdash, I prefer to just bring switch wiring through the firewall when I can help it).

The way you’re talking sounds fine.

One suggestion is to use the plugs they have on the lights & pods - the reason you see “foggy lenses” / condensation in LED lights is people clip the plug & use butt connectors, letting moisture run up the black sheath & into the housing.

Clipped plugs from used LED’s (esp Rigid) is a sign they were probably stolen & the buyer/user gets what they deserve when their light fogs up within 3-6mo in WA.

My buddy at the local car stereo shop told me that little tip about not clipping the connectors- when you look you see how even the cheapies are weather resistant from the housing to the plug.

So leave all those little square connectors & butt connect to the plug pigtail any length of wire you need to extend to make all 4 pods join in a spot you can access easily (either underhood or underdash, I prefer to just bring switch wiring through the firewall when I can help it).

Only issue is due to it being such a cheap set up, it didnt come with plugs and just bare wires. I'm trying to find he best solution to keep it water tight. Id rather not have to solder and heat shrink it, but if thats what I have to do.

EDIT: Just ordered some water proof 2 plug connectors from Amazon. Those should do the trick.

Last edited:
Yeah, wow - I even have a pair of ‘dirty-dirt-cheap’ 4” cubes that light the engine compartment for my boat / sand filter, they were ~$20/pr & even they had male & female plugs/pigtails.

Aside from those, I always just wait for deals on Heise - they are good build quality but cheap $$$ on Ebay. My NIB 30” blackout lense Heise was ~$125 shipped.

I also have some Vision X stuff, but the vendor is ~1hr from my house, so we have bought open box demo / buyer remorse stuff real cheap, all still as-new - we just go scrounge their demo inventory.

At least you found some aftermarket plugs to seal the light unit - I saw a used Rigid curved ~48-50” bar on the cab of a fullsize truck, it was fogged with condensate in the top 1/3 of the lense.

That’s why they have those “do not cut” -stickers on the light pigtail, if you do it voids any warranty on name-brand lights.
I just wrap the stickers with black electrical tape, saves the warranty.

I’m still too cheap to have any Rigid stuff :hillbilly:

Oh yea these are cheap. I've seen them rebranded everywhere and reviews are decent so figured it was worth the gamble. It was a 416W spot/flood combo light bar and 4 18w pods for $36 shipped. Doesnt get much cheaper than that lol.

I'm hoping the plugs will make it waterproof enough. Even if it lasts a year, I'm fine swapping out lights at $36 a set!

Got the lights mounted. Wiring harness comes this weekend.

Sequoia Lights

One suggestion is to use the plugs they have on the lights & pods - the reason you see “foggy lenses” / condensation in LED lights is people clip the plug & use butt connectors, letting moisture run up the black sheath & into the housing.....

\
never thought about it, but that does make sense. although don't assume that a truck with condensation had clipped wires. treeroot had his rigid fill with water while sitting in his driveway with stock wiring. (in addition to having to send it back multiple times for banks of the lights failing to work). every company will have a certain amount of failures

one thing to do when butt connecting is always use heat shrinkable and glue but connectors. don't ever buy butt connectors at your local checker/o'reilleys/etc. go to a quality electrical store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom