Installing an fj62 radiator into an hj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am installing a rad from a 62 into an 86 hj60 , becasue the hj rad is so damn expensive.
This hj has the auto transmission and air cond.
So far I bought a good used rad from a 62 and I have fited it to the hj and so far it is basicly a bolt on deal.
Few changes like,
* Using the cooler fitting, the one on the passengerside is used as is on the 62 rad, but I used the one from the hj rad for the driverside fitting.
Also had to cut a little of the edge of the shroud from the bottom above the lower hose inlet.
I ran a funkey looking hose for the upper and drove the truck for few days and it has been running like a dream again.

Today I started on moving the ac compressor few inches to the driverside so I can rotate the thermostat housing and run the upper hose much better.
I got 4 spacers and 4 longer bolts and mounted the compressor about 2" over.
Rotated the thermostat housing so the outlet points to driverside.
I am working on making an adjuster for the ac belt, but the original belt was too short , and I ran out of time
So I will finish this tomorrow .
Then I will post some pics.
Cheers.
Vic

Just have the inlet/outlets re-located on your 2F rad and you'll be good. Use your old HJ parts for the conversion.

~John

Just have the inlet/outlets re-located on your 2F rad and you'll be good. Use your old HJ parts for the conversion.

~John
This is my wife's, I no longer have have a cruiser.
Initially,I was plannimg to get the rad changed like you mentioned, but this is cheaper and easy to do.
Saved some money for patching the body so we could keep this on the road couple of years.

It needed a new AC belt and didn't cost that much to move the ac comp over only 4 bolts.
I used a tensioner pulley from my VW spare parts.
It is all done and working great and nothing was changed so a stock rad could be installed back in it.
I want to maintain the 2H as it runs perfect and the 60 is getting up there. Hoping someday , the 2H may be swaped into a better cruiser.
Thnaks for your advice .

i used a fj62 rad for my 2h,
i brought the rad to a rad shop, and they swaped the top inlet/hose port.
nothing else needed modification

Here are 3 pics, you can see the spacess and uper hose in the first pic and the thermostat housing turned the other way in the second pics and the adjuster in the third pic .
It turns out the new ac belt will still drive the wp if the drive belt fails.
uperhose.jpg
thermo.jpg
adjuster.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom