The Chuckbox (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
Chuck is made out of wood, does this make Chuck a woodchuck :D

woodchuck.jpg

When I was in Boy Scouts eons ago, our scoutmaster had a chuckbox for camping.
We mostly backpacked, but occasionally we car camped at a dedicated site somewhere, and out came the chuckbox to prepare meals.

I soon forgot though about those old chuckboxes from long ago until they started appearing before my eyes on forums where I saw trip reports and researched them more from a few online places that make them like:
Blue Sky Kitchen
Drifta Camping Kitchens
Kanz Outdoors
The three above are all very nice units, with the first two having several models.
If one has the tools and the skills, Blue Sky Kitchen has plans available and many videos on his site showing the construction of them.

Before I got interested in them much though I had already bought a Cabelas Instant Cooking Station that I have used for the past few years.
It works great, but between the two plastic drawers and the kitchen itself, it takes a lot of room in my rig.

I saw a design by Chad (JJBigg's on Expedition Portal site) that was built around the same stove I have, the Camp Chef Denali, and I took a liking to it immediately.
His 3D modeling threads he posts up are incredible to look at.
I got the plans from Chad for the chuckbox and I had talked to a local crate builder who supplies Boeing with customized crates for shipping parts, and a salesman there saw the plans and said they could build it for me.

I was getting ready to call them up a month later to give them the go ahead when a member on a few forums I am on (Titanpat57) contacted me after he saw I was interested in them and said he could build one for me, so I emailed him the plans and he looked it over.
He modified it a bit as I measured out the two right side shelves so one could hold my 8" Lodge cast iron skillet, and my 8" Lodge Dutch oven, and the other shelf for my French Press coffee maker and plates.
The two left side shelves would be for the utensil tray and miscellaneous stuff.

I have a Cabelas Deluxe Roll-Top table I bought a few years back and it hardly takes up any room when stored in the rig.
It will be used to support the chuckbox, and it will have plenty of room to hold other stuff on top when preparing meals, much more room than the old setup.

While the Cabelas Kitchen setup was very nice I have used for the past few years, there is something about the chuckboxes that seems much more nostalgic to me.
Something like this can be passed on down the line too when I get to old to get out :D

The chuckbox arrived Saturday the 4th of September via FedEx.
It had a long journey from New York to Washington state, and the way Pat packed it, it arrived unscathed.
It was packed with foam core and taped all around, and heavy cardboard on the outside, very nice.

When I opened it up outside a few neighbors were eyeballing it, and they commented on how it looked like fine furniture.
The pictures do not do it justice, it looks great!
The finish on it lets you see the lines in the wood through it too.

Pat did an incredible job on the box from us just communicating via email back and forth.
Hats off to Pat for offering to build this for me, I am very impressed with it.

Below are some pictures of the chuckbox unloaded and then loaded up with all the stuff I had in the other setup.
I still need to figure out something to hold a roll of paper towels like the Cabelas kitchen had on it.

Box unpacked and set up on top of my ECS cargo cases

1.jpg

Side view showing the holes that are the carry handles and also the exit for the propane hose and assembly

2.jpg

Undo the two front latches and the top goes up, and the front comes down like a draw bridge

3.jpg

Loaded up with everything to prepare a meal except the food
Left side bottom is for the utensil tray and foil.
Left top is for the blue enameled plates, paper plates, bowls, toaster, measuring cups, ect.
Right side bottom is for the cast iron skillet and Dutch oven with the former nestled inside of it, and a stainless pot for heating water behind them.
Right top is for the French Press, blue enameled coffee cups, cutting board, towels, ect.

4.jpg

Upper part that holds the Camp Chef Denali propane stove
I have the non slip toolbox liner stuff below it that I buy from Griots Garage.
I use that stuff in my toolboxes at home, and also in my cargobox in my rig to prevent tools from rolling around.

5.jpg

Front closeup view showing the goods
Look at the reflection in the wood, nice finish!

6.jpg

Another shot showing the utensil tray and cast iron cookware pulled out

7.jpg

View from top

8.jpg

I take cooking very seriously when camping.
I was the head chef, well the only chef when I took my two young sons at the time many years ago camping after a divorce.
We ate generally better camping than at home.
I am a firm believer in that food tastes better when when camping and fresh air if prepared correctly, so I tend to cook better too.
The chuckbox will allow me to keep my items better organized and give a certain ambiance to the preparation of meals.
Easier access too to the items than my previous setup.

Please note the cast iron too, I feel there is nothing better to cook on both at home and outdoors, and well worth the extra weight to have a set for camping too.
I have tried many non stick pans at home and camping over the past several decades, and I always end up buying more non stick stuff to only throw it away after awhile.
Since I got into cooking with cast iron recently this year at home first, I could never go back to non cast iron again.
Food does not stick to the cast iron like it has for previous cookware.
Cast iron is also easier to take care of if you take the time to read up on it.
The food literally slides out of the skillet, and all I do for cleanup is wipe it out with a paper towel and spray some oil in it, then wipe it around, then store the pan for next use.
I do not even have to wash out with water and a scrub brush like I did at first when I got them.
They get better each time with use as they season more.

So far all I need in the setup for camping is the skillet and Dutch oven.
I still carry one Paul Revere stainless steel sauce pan, that is for heating up water only for the French Press.
Heating up water with a Dutch oven would put oil from me wiping the pans out after cleaning into the coffee, yuck.

I have been wondering how I was going to attach a paper towel holder to the chuckbox without drilling any holes into the box.
The box is made out of nine ply apple core cabinet grade 1/2" (measures out to around 1/2") which is very nice wood, and I would rather not drill into it.
I bought a cheap plastic paper towel holder for $2.99 and used some shower curtain hooks, but it looked very funky not sitting flush, and if I got some sheet metal and bent up brackets for it to hang over the edge of the wood, there was no real good way to attach them to the holder.

towel1.jpg

towel2.jpg

A member over on Expo showed me an over the cabinet holder design that would work perfectly after seeing the above pictures (he said the plastic one gave the otherwise nice box a cheap look and I agree), I had never seen the over the cabinet ones before.
I checked on Amazon yesterday and placed an order for one, and also saw they make towel holders too which would be perfect for a hand towel on the other side of the box.

Went to Lowe's this morning to look for the hand towel one, and only saw a cheap plastic one.
Fred Meyers which is just across the street where I had bought the cheap paper towel holder at.
I stopped on my way back home, and they had both of the InterDesign holders.
I bought both and came home and canceled my order for the paper towel one I placed yesterday with Amazon.

InterDesign over cabinet towel holder
part number 29450
Amazon.com: Home Essentials Over The Cabinet Towel Bar: Home & Garden

Amazon $4.06
Fred Meyer $7.99

InterDesign over cabinet paper towel holder
part number 29750
Amazon.com: Interdesign 29750 Forma Over Cabinet Paper Towel Holder: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon $13.30
Fred Meyer $9.99

The hand towel holder was cheaper from Amazon, but since I Was at Fred Meyer to get the paper towel holder, I got it too.
There is a gap in the fit as they are made to fit wood up to 3/4" thick.
I will fix the gap for both holders later by gluing in some rubber strips.
Both holders have rubber lining already on the metal to prevent scratching which is great.

Here are three pictures showing the two new holders which will work out nicely.
I usually keep both a hand towel and a dish drying towel on a clothesline on the awning, having the dish drying towel on the chuckbox and close to the dish drying rack will be better.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Very Nice!

Any idea what the weight is empty and ready to camp?

I like the idea, but does the front not get in the way when cooking? I guess you could close it while cooking, but then you have to open it each time you need something that you forgot to get out.

Have not used it yet in the field, but I have stood in front of it many times while arraigning stuff in inside, and there seems to be plenty of room for getting close to the stove.

very nice build---should work out nice --good job!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great...I am still wrestling with the ultimate layout and design for my custom chuck box and see that yours has some features worth considering. I have gone from bare bones spartan camping, to loading a huge construction/wheeled/cargo tough box full of $hit....and need to find a happy medium, hence the next chuck-box design for the gear for 5 and not 10 people! My kids are getting older, so maybe my extra gear will set them up for their future camping years????!!!

is that a sex toy on the corner of that side table?

Looks great...I am still wrestling with the ultimate layout and design for my custom chuck box and see that yours has some features worth considering.
Thanks, this is going to work out great for my needs.

is that a sex toy on the corner of that side table?
Sex toy???
Are you talking about the object on the table next to the bike pump?
If so, that is a sand design of a black bear made out of different colored sand, and encased in the glass.
That is around 50+ some year old, maybe older.

I love this thread, it takes me back to my younger days at Summer Camp with the BSofA!
Great job on the build!

Sex toy???
Are you talking about the object on the table next to the bike pump?
If so, that is a sand design of a black bear made out of different colored sand, and encased in the glass.
That is around 50+ some year old, maybe older.

Yes!! haha it looks suspicious! :D

Well the bear is harder to see, as some 50 years ago or so I use to get my hands on it and shake it before my mother could take it put it up higher out of my reach.

I have a lot of really old keepsakes from a half century and beyond that were my parents.

It says made in Japan on the bottom too, so I have no idea where they got it.
Maybe my dad got it during WWII.

I like the idea, but does the front not get in the way when cooking? I guess you could close it while cooking, but then you have to open it each time you need something that you forgot to get out.

Have not used it yet in the field, but I have stood in front of it many times while arraigning stuff in inside, and there seems to be plenty of room for getting close to the stove.

I had the same thought. Let us know how it works out. Nice looking chuckbox!

Butt

Thanks.
I have stood up to it many times now (still in my living room :D ) with the door down, and there is plenty of room to grab a pan by its handle and use a spoon, spatula, ect to cook with.
I do not think it will be a problem.

Would like to test it out on my porch tomorrow weather permitting.

A little reorganizing of the interior.
I was using a small silverware tray that I have had for awhile, but it did not have a compartment for my long slicing knife I use to slice tomatoes and other foods with.
Also the spatula and big plastic spoon used to stir soup, stir the coffee up in the French Press, ect...did not fit either.
The long knife I had to stuff off to the side.

This morning while at Fred Meyers I saw the same brand of silverware tray only a little longer and wider than the old one.
It is like Pat knew I was going to buy the new one, as the tray fits perfectly both width and lengthwise, it fills the whole space on the left lower side.

I am now able to have the items inside of the tray and not rattle around.
I only wish I could find a shorter can of the spray oils, as the can will not fit in upright with the lid on it.
I will not be transporting the can upright like that in case something hits the spray nozzle and discharges oil all over inside.
I will have to lay it on its side with the cap back on it.
I think these are the shortest cans you can get.

12.jpg

Much better organized now.
That is the new silverware with the bear pattern that arrived Friday from Cabelas.
Very heavy duty, this is good quality stuff.
Cabela's 20-Piece Flatware Set

Also seen is a new can opener I saw on Expo in a thread on what else, can openers for camping :D
Oxo Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener
What I like about it is it locks onto the can and will not come off when cutting the lid until you unlock the handle.
The lid also stays hooked to the unit via magnet until you push a release button over your trash, so you never have to touch a messy lid.

13.jpg

I predict that one day you will open the box and discover that all your paper plates are saturated with canola oil.

Find a short section of hard plastic tube the fits over the spray nozzle of your Pam and hold it in place with a piece of tape. This will prevent it from accidentally getting jammed against something and "self deploying". :grinpimp:

Nice looking set up. I'm wondering how the contents would fair after a hard trail ride. Looks to be plenty of room for all the contents to jump around.
:cool:

Thanks, I really like it.

There is extra room, but a lot of that will be taken up.
Also when I cram the full roll of paper towels in there that will help too.

The only shelf I am worried about would be the upper right one that has the glass French Press, and that is where I will put the paper towels or something else to keep everything tight in there.

Umm, p'haps I'm missing something, but....

where's the shot of where it stores? :confused:

Yes, I just 'read' the pix: text is too dense unless it mite work for me. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom