Builds 97 Landcruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally found some time to get working on this thing.

HUGE thanks to Ryan Mckee (K5RYANNC) for all his help so far!!

I can't fabricate a ham sandwich, so 95% of the fab work was done by him so far.

Bought this about 4 years ago for a DD and to tow my Samurai I had at the time. Swore up and down I wasnt gonna wheel it...you know how that goes..ha ha

Broke a rear axle a Uwharrie almost 2 years ago, finally got around to fixing that.
The shaft broke in the middle of the tube, so, only way to get it out was to cut open the housing, remove cross pin, and knock it out from the other side. Got the shaft out, and Ryan sewed it back up with a little 1/4" ring gear armor.
DIFF%20CUT%20OPEN.jpg
FRANKENSTEIN%20DIFF.jpg

Got that all fixed up, so time to start bending some tube.
Going to be a hybrid internal/external cage.
Going to put tube from the A-pillar, behind the fenders, up to the hoop on the ARB.
The ARB stuck out a bit far for our liking, so out came the torch.
ARB%20TRIM%20LINE.jpg
TORCH%20ARB.jpg
TRIMMED%20ARB.jpg

Last edited:
TRIMMED%20ARB%202.jpg

We were able to push it back a good 2.5".
Eventually going to make an even higher clearance bumper from scratch, but in the interest of saving time, went this way for now.

Cage pics:
A pillar starts at the frame, goes through the pinch weld, behind the fender, up the A pillar, and down the roof to act as a roof slider. Roof slider will be tied in to the internal portion with sandwich plates. Ryan did an awesome job with this bending, it was not easy!
CAGE%20TO%20FRAME.jpg

CAGE%20TO%20FRAME%202.jpg

PINCH%20WELD%20HOLESAW.jpg

ROOF%20SANDWICH%20PLATE.jpg
START%20CAGE.jpg
SIDE%20SHOT.jpg

Front axle was pretty jacked up too.
Broke the knuckle studs, which fell out and leaked all the gear oil out. Burnt up the front diff. I was coming back from Charleston and it started whining really loud, so I turned up the radio..ha ha. I finally decided to check it out when I couldnt hear my self think anymore. Check the rear first, all good, went to the front, and when I touched the housing it burnt my hand.. Doh! Stupid all wheel drive.
AXLE%20MIA.jpg

So, I picked up some elocked axles for a sweet deal in Conneticuit. 30 hour (just about) straight through round trip in the snow later, had them home. Hauled them in my Honda!
laughing.gif

Sold the rear (for fear of breaking it). I am perfectly happy with the welded rear, and it already had the 5.29s in it.

The E-locker front will get re-geard to 5.29s and going to try my luck with stock birfs for now...we'll see what happens. I have two spares from my old axle for trail fix if needed.
axles.jpg

More to come....hopfully gonna get back at it this weekend.

:eek: Nice work and prject.

:cheers: looks forward to more :)

excited to see how the roll cage goes.

Much nicer approach angle with the arb mod. How much did it affect room for a winch? Think a warn 12k would still fit?

Buck

If you chopped the top of the arb for clearance, instead of building high clearance bumper from scratch why not chop into the bottom and clearance it that way also?

Much nicer approach angle with the arb mod. How much did it affect room for a winch? Think a warn 12k would still fit?

Buck

I dont think it would without a good bit of grill trimming, I havent put my SmittyBuilt 8k back in yet, it looks like even with it, I may have to trim a bit from the bottom of the grill. I will try to get some better pics for you if I get back up there this weekend. (The truck is at a friends shop about an hour from here, and he is a busy dude, so not 100% sure if we will get to work this W/E or not)

If you chopped the top of the arb for clearance, instead of building high clearance bumper from scratch why not chop into the bottom and clearance it that way also?

May still take some off the bottom, depending on what gets in the way. Definately swapping the roller firlead for a hawse, and cutting off/moving the d-ring mounts. Not sure how much more we can clearance without sacrificing protection. This thing is gonna get wheeled HARD.

Last edited:
A little progress last night. Nothing picture worthy.

Got the ARB cleaned up and finished, and got back on the cage. Funny thing is, we both forgot about the exhaust going outside the frame on the pass side..ha ha :doh:

Well we got nervous for a minute, but Ryan took some measurements, scratched his head, and by the time I grabbed a fresh beverage, he had the first piece bent up around the exhaust and it was freakin perfect. His tube work is friggin art, (guess I should grabbed a pic of that, doh!) cant wait untill we get to the inside! I think he wants to do some cool stuff with his dimple dies!! :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom