Bad ecu/maf/cel with a twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought that I'd just post this so it would go in the database.

I had a bad ecu in my 93 (standard 83,84,85 codes) and it finally blew while I was changing some sparkplug wires and air filter.

While the old ecu was in, the CEL did not illuminate while the key was in the on position nor would it fire.

I replaced the old ecu for a new one (94) and the CEL still didn't illuminate, so I followed the FSM and it basically stated replace the ecu (I just did!).

To make a long story short I found the MAF connector buggered upped and cut the top of the MAF off to see that some foil between the pin connectors to the PCB where torn and floating around causing a short. A quick solder job and it's now fixed.

If you run into a non CEL situation (ign on position) and pull either the TPS or MAF connection and it comes on then the problem might not be your ecu.

Too bad when I put the old ecu in it didn't work either, I had a combo situation, bad ecu and MAF.

For sale (1) 93 ecu ash tray.

A couple of things about the different ECU. If they were both californian models then both ecu's would have the egr programing and the wire. If 93 was not a californian spec and you replaced it with a 94 with egr spec's it would of been interesting to see if the code is triping as the temp sensor for the egr gas is incuded all 94 models. So I gather all is working well at this time? later robbie

Early federal 93's (til May 93) have an 89661-60170 and early California 93's have an 89661-60220. Both of those are replaced by an 89661-60221 which is also used in all 94's.

The 60170 and the 60220 are the ones that are prone to the 83, 84, 85 TCM/ECM communications DTC codes.

robbie said:
A couple of things about the different ECU. If they were both californian models then both ecu's would have the egr programing and the wire. If 93 was not a californian spec and you replaced it with a 94 with egr spec's it would of been interesting to see if the code is triping as the temp sensor for the egr gas is incuded all 94 models. So I gather all is working well at this time? later robbie

Thank you for your concern, all is work great now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom