LJ78 Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

Just picked up my Lj78 and had it inspected..(BC) failed on the tires and the rotors front and back. We put in day time running lights and third brake light. Now...does anyone know where I can get rotors locally in Vancouver or nearby? And I'd like some tires recomendations. I do a bit of off roading but most id road use. right now I think its got 215/70/16 duelers..i prefer a bit wider..
anyways any pointers on the brake rotors or tires appreciated

Bakasan

I did get some part #'s from Toyota Japan ..

front rotors 4351260100
rear rotors 4243160190

front pads V9118A028
rear pads V9118B011

anyone out there know if there are any of these kicking around BC or AB..?

Thanks

LJ78 Napa brake part numbers:

Front pads: AE7298A or SD7298A (severe duty)
Front rotor: 85799
Front calipers: I have these numbers, somewhere. Let me know if you need them.

Rear pads: AE 7487-M (Mettalic)
Rear rotor: 86929
Rear calipers: 61447 + 61448

I also have have Toyota numbers (at home) of all caliper pistons, seals etc if you want to rebuild your own.

:cheers:
Gord

Agreed! Great post Gord thanks!
:beer:

JOhnny

Good luck with your brakes....
Keep us updated on your progress.

lj78 update quick question

Hello again,

Quick question..on my 91 LJ78 the front hublocks are electric. When I went to get new tires today..the guy installing commented that the new rotors I got (he peeked at the part) probably wouldnt fit because they looked liked drop ins and because of some reason ( i think he said something about bearings)
So just to confirm..the part # from Napa Front rotor: 85799
Can someone tell me about the installation? Is it really complicated?
I'd appreciate some info...I admit I'm not too bright in this domain

Thanks

Bakasan (japanese for Mr Stupid)

Bakasan
I purchased my brake parts at a Toyota dealer in Yokohama, ordered using the serial number, but I havent had to install them yet.
I matched the yota rotors to the Napa ones...dimentions, etc, I think that part number is found in the Napa book under a Canadian 'cruiser listing. Good luck!

Gord

LJ78

Thanks again Gord. I had the rear rotors installed today. Right side was a real #itch. The parking brake somehow hung up the rotor and required an hour and a half of dicking. The left side took all of 30 seconds to pull off. But they are done. As for the front rotors..the Napa ones don't appear to fit. The do look the same but the front has that hub system and the mechanic said the rotors should have the wheel bolts etc fixed to it. He did show me...it appeared that the Napa ones are the same...but it looks like there is another piece between the Rotor and hub...it has the wheel bolts on it..Its hard to explain...If you pull a front wheel you'll see it. Of course I'm assuming the 91 and 90 share the same system in the front.
Anyone out there familliar with these?

Thanks

Baka

LJ78 Brake Parts

Bakasan

Any luck with your brake parts yet? If not call Dave in the Parts dept at Stampede Toyota, Calgary @ 403 291 2119. He has been very helpfull with finding LN130 (Surf) parts for me. I also have a 91 LJ78 and am interested in hearing what you find out on the brake parts. Right now I need a r/h front signal light lens and am not sure were that will come from.

Good Luck :)

Keith

91 LJ78 Prado EX-5
90 LN130 Hilux Surf
JDM Rocks

brakes LJ78

I have already had the rears installed and looking to do the fronts tomorrow. provided the parts are correct it should be 1.5 hours a side . then hopefully the inspection process ends.
I appreciate the replies from everyone and the info from Gord on the parts...Thanks

Bakasan

Hopefully the fronts go on without a hitch. Are you doing the calipers as well?
Good luck!
Cheers.
Gord

passed!

Thanks!

Went without a hitch. turns out the first mechanic wasn't familliar with the electric hubs so he was wrong about the fronts not fitting. So for all you Prado owners ..the Napa brake part numbers mentioned earlier in this thread are good.
And Buggyboy..do you need a lens for your Prado? your talking the one under the headlight? I have a couple ladies visiting from Japan next week. I can't promise but it may be possible to swing them bringing you one.
If you need it still...you can call me on 604 220 7221
Baka

passed

Sorry...I only did the rotors. The pads were 80% so I left the existing. Im sure all your part#'s are good. Thanks again gord..you really saved me alot of trouble.
Baka

91 Prado (pre-cracker)

91 LJ-78 Front R/H Signal Lens

Hi Baka

Didn't see your post till tonight about the signal light lens. I still need one but am probably too late for your Japanese friends. Having conections over their could be very advantagious when trying to find these kind of parts. If there is any way to still possibly source a lens could you let me know. My number is 250 218 2666.
Glad you got your brakes figured out. I will be recording those P/N's
We Prado owners need to help each other out with the repair and servicing problems that will come up. This forum is awsome.

Thanks

Keith

i belive my rotors and pads need to be done asap as well ....thanks for the numbers .

You don't need a 3rd brake light until sept of 1993.
Do a search of my posts for more info.
Ask the inspectors to show you a 3rd brake light on a 1990-sept93 4runner.
They can't because they did not need them yet.

Cheers,
N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom