Real time transfer help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok.. so i've gotten all the gaskets etc that i need for re assembly, i began to put everything back together and i cannot get the "high/low select lever that is inside the transfer case to go to its proper position.
Any hints on how to successfully install the transfer case and align the lever?

here is tfe part in question that i am having issue with. I cant seem to get it to line up with the indent that it is supposed to. I need to get this put together asap.
xfercase linkage.jpg

Im at a loss. i cant get this thing to line up. help me cruiser gurus you're my only hope... well, that and a tow to the local mechanic... which i do not want to do. I need to get this together ASAP, i have a body work apt tomorrow.

You have to lever it into position as you slide the transfer case halves back together. You CANNOT put it in the right position from the start.

It's not hard.

Don't take the arm off the outside but DO disconnect the rod.

having just done this a couple months ago, and, worse, ended up doing this part about 4 times (for other reasons, like forgetting to insert one of the thrust washers, or dislodging the bearing race...), here goes:

Align the internal lever so that it is pointing FORWARD.
When you slide the aluminum case on, stop with about an inch or so to go.
Reach up and around and get your fingers inside the case and feel the lever and the slot in the hi-lo yoke shaft.
Rotate the lever counterclockwise (if you were looking down at it from above) to where it is engaging the slot.
It won't fully engage until you slide the case in the rest of the way.
Slide the case in about another half inch, check to ensure the the lever and rotated more fully into the slot.
put case on the rest of the way.

to check, throw at least a bolt or two in, then try to switch the hilo clutch and rotate the shafts - not hard if the tranny is in neutral and you haven't put the PTO cover on yet. if the lever rotates back and forth and engages the hi-lo clutch smoothly, you got it!

Also, the height of the lever matters. I neglected to note the parts when I disassembled mine, but on reassembly, found that I could move that lever up high enough that it did not reliably stay engaged in the slot. I suspected that I had not replaced a thick washer on the shaft for this lever, that sits between the case and the control arms that slides onto the shaft.
I added such a washer and then the lever stayed at the correct height.

Fred Thanks a million.. !!!!

Worked out great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom