Scrapes, bruises & scars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mbb

SILVER Star
Threads
I have and 85 FJ-60 with 33" tires, OME lift and ARB lockers. My truck had straight sheet metal, until last week...the story starts back before Christmas, when on a christmas tree hunting trip in Mendocino NF, one of the guys mentions that he is thinking about organizing a Rubicon trip for near-stock (land rover) wagons. He's an old-school rover guy, and some other land rovers would be coming, but he says I should come along too. He thinks my truck should be able to make it through without any damage. So the seed is planted. Long preamble short, we went through last week, three rovers and my one land cruiser. No one made it through completely damage free, but everyone made it and we had a good time! I'm not sure if this thread is meant to be encouragement or a warning to those of you that might be still on the fence about doing a trail like the Rubicon. I'll let you decide.

I was accompanied by three long wheel base rovers, one pickup (open differentials) and two wagons (both with rear lockers). All vehicles had 33" tires of various widths. The rovers sit a little higher at the rockers than my cruiser, but they have more stuff hanging down under the chassis (exhaust pipes, etc.). The only drive train damage was a bent tie rod on the pickup as he was trying to bounce his way up a ledge.

Regarding the damage to my vehicle specifically, the only thing that broke was the rubber cushion that mounts the muffler. I put dents in each of the passenger side doors and creased the drivers side doors at the intermediate seam. My tail pipe was crushed.

I was lucky to have great rocker and quarter panel protection. My sliders and rear bumper took many hard hits and kept coming back for more. I dragged my long ass down every ledge and pulled the truck through rock passages on the sliders. Without these key pieces of armor my truck would be in much worse shape. My homemade front bumper took a few hard hits too, and it held firm.

I wasn't expecting the trail to be so tough. It was not so much the difficulty of any particular technical section, but the tough sections seemed to come one right after another. It took us 2 1/2 days to get through, but we purposely went slow to minimize damage.
rubicon 01.JPG
rubicon 02.JPG
rubicon 05.JPG

Last edited:
cool write up. my buddy and I have contemplated Rubicon for the past 2 years. looks like next year it is a go!

the dents are character and stories now!

clint

Old Land Rovers rock! :bounce:

(I should add cruisers do too)

Thanks for the photos. Looks like lots of fun. Might it be better to route the exhaust out right behind the rear tire?

Looks like a lot of fun. I like the old school rovers too. Good to hear the report I might give Rubicon a try next year with about the same setup.

I love my fj60, however I just did a rather tame trail in my 1995 Pathfinder. I had done same trail in the 60 about two weeks ago, and wow what a difference! THe Pathfinder did the trail with ease, and some comfort, and the 60 made me nervous.

Zack

Is your pathfinder modified? I recently ran a pretty rocky trail with my stock 62 and a friend's slightly modified pathfinder had a tough time--his underbelly was dragging on everything and he had no articulation.

Great story on the Rubicon, I'm still trying to decide between dakar or SOA. After running the trail would SOA and 35's have made a big difference?

How did your like wheeling with Timm?

:grinpimp:

The Land-Rover world is pretty small. I heard about his tie-rod, that's pretty normal for a Series truck...

If you do talk to him, tell him to ship my intercooler! (He should already have sent it by now, I am just teasing).

Cool trip!

Your rig is tits man! Sorry about the damage, at least it looks like you had a good time causing the damage.

How did your like wheeling with Timm?

:grinpimp:

The Land-Rover world is pretty small. I heard about his tie-rod, that's pretty normal for a Series truck...

If you do talk to him, tell him to ship my intercooler! (He should already have sent it by now, I am just teasing).

Cool trip!

Yeah, wheeling with Timm was a blast. For the other three drivers (myself included) this was our first time through the Rubicon. Timm led the way and he made it look so easy even with his open differential truck. Then he would run back down the trail to spot us through the difficult parts. Had we been out with someone less experienced, things could have ended a lot worse.

Nice photos and report. Did you get use to the sounding of metal scraping on rock?

What is the purpose of the notch in the bottom of your front bumper?

Is your pathfinder modified? Great story on the Rubicon, I'm still trying to decide between dakar or SOA. After running the trail would SOA and 35's have made a big difference?

I'm not so sure about the 35's, but I think the SOA would help a lot. the other trucks with big tires (maybe 37+) could roll over most of the obstacles. We did see one modified FJ-cruiser come through, but he was with a professionally guided group, I think, so there may have been a bit more rock stacking, etc. going on.

There are sections that are tight both in width as well as requiring a tortuous path. The LWB wagons have a hard time in these spots. I gues some extra height can help, but often an obstacle on one side of the truck will push you into an obastacle on the other side and that's mostly a function of width, not height, although with the right SOA set up you might have better articuation (more axle movement and less body roll).

Nice photos and report. Did you get use to the sounding of metal scraping on rock?

What is the purpose of the notch in the bottom of your front bumper?

LOL...yeah, the first few crashes of sliders against rock were disturbing. By the end of the trip, I hardly noticed it...

The notch in the front bumper is for a hilift jack. Just someplace to put the tounge so it doesn't slide off.

I would much rather have the damage on my truck be from trails and trips like yours than parking lot or garage damage. I have several reflection points on mine.

SWEET nice pics and write up :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom