Toyota power steering pump (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know the toyota part number for a power steering pump rebuild kit and whether or not is is available through a dealer of toyota parts vendors. My particular need is for the flow control valve assembly. my problem is a drip while the truck is just sitting in the garage…not under pressure ..it’s just hanging out

the 2nd photo is where the leak is.
IMG_1090.jpeg
IMG_1085.jpeg

So now that I have gotten nowhere, I have spent about 3 hours watching Land Cruiser power steering pump rebuilds from 40Channel, OTRAMM, and the usual regulars and video guys. I have also gone to a dozen different websites looking for a new pump or rebuild kits for solve this problem.

this is something I have never ventured into but does not intimidate me in any way by simply not having any knowledge of how it really works. I’ll always try myself first and then, When I “mess’ it up… I call the experts. On the other hand , a new pump can be had from a few sites from $325 to$825.00. And Amayama.com is one of them

Being the weekend i am not able get to the guys who remain closed on weekend so I spent more time reading. I found a gentleman who used a NAPA pump # 38-5475 on his ‘83 FJ60 and replaced his toyota pump. It looked nearly identical and fit like it was there from the 1990’s. He did not continue to filling the pump and running the truck so I don’t know the final outcome…but the cost difference could buy enough pumps to replace one every 15 years for the next 120 years!

my question is…for anyone with better power steering pump know-how, are there intricate details I am missing? This pump was $99.00 and the reservoir just slips right over

Last edited:
Well I am going to Napa to check it out…if it matches up cosmetically. I will bring it home and try it…the puddle grows
IMG_1130.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I am going to Napa to check it out…if it matches up cosmetically. I will bring it home and try it…the puddle growsView attachment 3474979
Good luck to you. Keep us posted. I attempted to look up the part number at NAPA that you referenced, but came up with no matches. Many of us are looking at alternatives to the 60 pump. Ours are old and failing and the new ones are super expensive if you can even find them. In your second post, you mentioned finding new ones from between $325 and $825. That has not been my experience. Rebuilt possibly, but not new TOYOTA. Rebuilt pumps will likely not have the brass bushing replaced, which is often times the source of leaks on these pumps. New pumps are $1,500.00 and out of stock in the places I have looked. The best solution that I have found is a Saginaw conversion using the conversion kit from Georg.

@roadstr6 i have seen each of the pumps you mentioned. The pump for 325 is the vane pump minus a reservoir and pulley. Amayama SAYS its Toyota and is something around $833.00 with shipping to the USA. I found the NAPA pump on their web site using the #38-5475 with a simple search. They have 2. One is $114.95 and the other is $329.00. I am taking a chance with the NAPA pump first. If it works , it would be a simple option. I have also seen the $1500.00 out of stock units on web pages and out of stock does no one any good.

it appears the o-ring on the reservoir needs to be the correct fit to prevent leaks. The best video I have seen is the one from @40channel who details every aspect of the re-build very clearly. I have inquired about the rebuild kit part numbers but have no answer so far. The biggest detail there is that brass bushing. I don’t have any machining capabilities here but if those dimensions are readily available, I’d have no problem finding someone to make a 100 of them 😀 …. I am sure that many others could use them

NAPA: as a member of their site, you save…the total was under $300 for the gasket set and the $329.00 pump. It will be here in 2 days

NEW STEERING PUMP
Part #: PS 385475N

GASKET KIT
NPS7270

EDIT: PUMP ARRIVED WITHIN 24 HOURS. It’s here already

Last edited:
So far, the adventure in power steering pump continues. Surely a very solvable situation but there are some variables. If someone has input, I am open to suggestions.

the NAPA pump arrived the next day… when comparing the fittings to the original, there are differences due to the later year FJ45 I am using this on. The photos below show the differences in between reservoir tank mounting .

IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_0946.jpeg

The left photo is a 1979 FJ45 …..while the right side photo is the pump I need to replace in a 1985 FJ45. If I was replacing the 1979 FJ45 pump, it would be a direct replacement….If the new NAPA pump had the mounting holes for the reservoir on the front and rear, it would be a very simple swap. However, it has the reservoir mounting holes on the front and side At 90 degrees. I am not even sure this is the correct power steering pump to this ‘85 FJ45

The rest of the pump will mount easily and the pulley aligns with the other belts. I am thinking to make a simple winged bracket that will bolt to the new pumps rear holes and extend to mount the wings of the newer style tank to this auxiliary bracket….so I am no artist but this should convey the idea..all predicated on the un-availability of the earlier reservoir tank. (they are available however) 44306-60031 Reservoir, Oil(For Vane Pump), Toyota. It just needs to be shipped here so this idea is only if the reservoir were not available

once again, other ideas? Please

You have a Non-US vehicle. The power steering pump isn’t in the same location as USA 2F.

Get a pump for a 3FE.

Well, thanks Matt!

Get a pump for a 3FE.

They can be rebuilt - they have a bearing instead of a bushing. I rebuilt the 3FE pump in my '86 FJ60 using a rebuild kit from AutoZone and a Suzuki motorcycle bearing. See my Post #15 here:

I think it’s a little more involved than just getting a 3FE pump. As the 3FE pump won’t bolt into that existing non-USA bracket. You’ll need to source a FJ62 3FE PS bracket to go with the 3FE pump. Also I believe you need to convert to a fan clutch water pump and pulley. I’ve done two of these conversions on non USA trucks recently and that’s the route I took.

You're right about the bracket, I forgot about that. think it is worth it though. I set up a Non-US 40 the same way. Easier PS pump to source, easier WP to source, fan clutch upgrade. I don't think you have to change the water pump though, he should already be set up for it since it already has PS

Should have said it was for a FJ45. Honestly your best bet is to reach out to one of the many flippers of SA cruisers all over the place and see if they can get a working replacement from you from their sources.
Good idea…did that and have one being delivered by Tuesday… easier than I thought going that way

UPDATE: the new power steering pump arrived and found it to be a straight forward swap although slight changes in the line connection…it was only a few degrees of angle and bend to the flexible hose.

ON THE OTHER HAND; my FJ40 has a Saginaw power steering conversion with the Saginaw type “teardrop” looking power steering pump. Can amy stock Toyota power steering pump, with the correct mounting bracket, be used to power the Saginaw power steering gearbox or is the Saginaw the only pump that would work properly?

IMG_6753.jpeg

IMG_6752.jpeg

Last edited:
UPDATE: the new power steering pump arrived and found it to be a straight forward swap although slight changes in the line connection…it was only a few degrees of angle and bend to the flexible hose.

ON THE OTHER HAND; my FJ40 has a Saginaw power steering conversion with the Saginaw type “teardrop” looking power steering pump. Can amy stock Toyota power steering pump, with the correct mounting bracket, be used to power the Saginaw power steering gearbox or is the Saginaw the only pump that would work properly?

The Toyota pump would be fine. You might feel slightly less assist, but I doubt it

The Toyota pump would be fine. You might feel slightly less assist, but I doubt it
Thank you Matt, frankly I would be happier with less assist…it seems too easy after driving a regular Chevy pickup all the time…when you jump into the FJ40, it’s noticeably free.

think this is on topic, but wanted to ask if any one knew the fitting sizes on an aussie hj47 "toyoda" steering box fittings, and the fittings for the other end at the saginaw pump? I need to get new hoses made at 60" as its RHD and I cant find any long hoses for sale. PO had the hoses just rubbing on the corner of the battery tray, and now its got a tiny leak in it :(

Sadly, I have 3 toyota power steering pumps on my bench and my FJ40 has a Saginaw power steering pump on it…the fitting are right in front of me but I have no idea how to properly measure them. Thread dimensions ALWAYS screwed me up. But, if there is a way to do it, I would be happy to give it a try

is it possible you can remove that hose and head over to a hydraulics place. When I built my log splitter…rather than take a blind shot, they did it all and it all fit

Sadly, I have 3 toyota power steering pumps on my bench and my FJ40 has a Saginaw power steering pump on it…the fitting are right in front of me but I have no idea how to properly measure them. Thread dimensions ALWAYS screwed me up. But, if there is a way to do it, I would be happy to give it a try

is it possible you can remove that hose and head over to a hydraulics place. When I built my log splitter…rather than take a blind shot, they did it all and it all fit
thanks for thinking about this. I called my local hose shop with some questions and there attitude was crap, and they said I needed to bring the hose in to make me a new one, so it seemed like more trouble then it was worth , os while i ordered my ubolt flip kit from manafre I got them to make me set of 60" hoses with the right fittings :) so no need anymore. weird that no one offers a 60" hose set for RHD trucks that have saginaw pumps? hose has to go all the way from the right side above the alt, under the engine and back up to the steering box.

@calen well if nothing worse, at least you have it solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom