Spring flip or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In another thread a mudder asked about 2 1/2" or 4" lift. The consensus seems to be the 4". If you do this and are going to do the brake lines anyway, would you go ahead and do the flip and get new drive shafts? I guess I'm askling if the spring flip is worth it?

I assume you're doing a SOA.
Using the softer stock springs you'll be getting about a 6" lift. Plenty for 35" tires.
Flipping the springs will improve the stability of the rig making the "cut and turn" unnecessary.
If you don't have a heavy foot axle-wrap wont be an issue either.
Lengthening the drive shafts is very straight forward.
You have to trim some of the body-work but not very much.
Brake lines were easy too, but all you need is a donor line from a used rig to add front or rear I forget which now.
Spring perches a dodge truck part#
front shock towers a ford truck part#
Pretty easy to to.

Last edited:
Hey Alex.... your rig misses you!

;)

Mark...

No this will not be SOA. Going with 4" leaves if I end up lifting at all. I'm just asking about flipping them around for the added wheelbase.

i did that 2 yrs ago . am very pleased with it . the front looks a little funny to me but the aproach angle is much better. the rear looks better. the tire is now more centered in the wheel well. this is a pretty easy job . you will need longer drive shafts and extended brake lines. the front shocks can be mounted to the front of the mount(upper). the rear takes a little more i cut out the crossmember they mount to spun it around and welded it back in. imo it was a good mod.

I flipped the rear and it is a little work but it was worth it
fj40 015.jpg

Flipping the springs will improve the stability of the rig making the "cut and turn" unnecessary.

So your saying that if the front springsare flipped, no need to cut and turn the axle housing? Can you explain this a bit more?

flipped front will extend and the driveshaft angle is not as steep as it would be without flip, all is well if you are not sr

extra wheelbase is extra wheelbase... better ride on road and better stability off road.

I found that when I flipped my front springs I no longer needed the caster plates that were in there because of a 4" SUA lift... definitely no need for cut and turn.

Sounds like if I can get the drive shafts lengthened cheap enough it would be well worth it. In that case, what is the proper way to measure for new or lengthened drive shafts?

do the flip then measure from flange to flange and give that dimension to the driveshaft shop... should be about 4" longer than what you have now.

In another thread a mudder asked about 2 1/2" or 4" lift. The consensus seems to be the 4". If you do this and are going to do the brake lines anyway, would you go ahead and do the flip and get new drive shafts? I guess I'm askling if the spring flip is worth it?

Depend on what you plan on doing with the rig. Are you okay with body damage? DO you have a locker in the front? Have you upgraded to stronger axles and birfs? What size tires are you running? How much do you wheel? Do you intend to be able to retain your value in your vehicle?

Hi All:

"Kyot4x4," nicely done rear wheelbase extension! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I flipped the rear and it is a little work but it was worth it

when flipping the front springs and also doing the saginaw power steering conversion what does this do to your steering geomitry?? do you need a special pitman arm??

do you need to change where you mount the pump??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom