Smoking battery cables? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OMG! Thank you! Good to know that I'm not the only one who is bothered by the improper use of the word "motor". That damn Henry Ford messed it all up when he called it the "motor car" in an effort to make his product sound more advanced.

Motors are electric.

The Land Cruiser has and internal combustion engine.

:beer:

Last edited:
OMG! Thank you! Good to know that I'm not the only one that is bothered by the improper use of the word "motor".

if you are such a stickler, why have you never learned the proper use of "who" and "that" :confused:

And their you have it...;)

:eek:

there ;p

So, back to the smoking cables.....Poser hit it on the head. If you still have problems, look at your starter and alternator.

I do concede a motor is properly used for converting electricity to motion, but hey I am far from proper. Gas powered vehicles are also called motor car's

I will be cleaning and tighting all grounding points this morning (as soon as it warms up just a little). Im hoping to have some buddys come over and see if we cant get this thing to atleast spudder. I would consider that a victory.

Are you replacing the battery cables today as well? I would highly recommend it. Good luck. Hope you get it started.

Update

Well I started the morning off wire wheeling all the grounding contacts and battery cable tags. Still was smoking. I now have brand new battery cables and grounding strap. No more smoke! Sweet! Now we have no spark. Time for some more research. Thanks for the suggestions so far. :beer:

Waterboy

Well I started the morning off wire wheeling all the grounding contacts and battery cable tags. Still was smoking. I now have brand new battery cables and grounding strap. No more smoke! Sweet! Now we have no spark. Time for some more research. Thanks for the suggestions so far. :beer:

Waterboy

Just to check the claim of "new guy", please get a nice thick glove and a working spare spark plug. Put on the glove and pull any of the plug wires and connect spare plug. Then touch the plug to the block. Have someone bump over your engine. If there is spark, you ll see it. Try this thru all wires. Next thing is to remove your coil and have it checked at Napa. Do this before distributor, my preference anyway, since you can get a spark even with junked up points. Hope this helps some.

What do I have?

Here is what I have. I am not getting any spark and I believe the coil is good. Any suggestions? Is this a semi-elctronic distributor? Also possible ways to check the coil while its still hooked up? Ran a lead to the + and - and got 3.3 ohms. Is this good or is bad?

Thanks,
Waterboy :beer:

waterboy-albums-my-1970-fj40-picture16916-a.jpg

waterboy-albums-my-1970-fj40-picture16917-a.jpg

waterboy-albums-my-1970-fj40-picture16918-a.jpg

Did you put those innards in?

Those are new, and if I didn't do, I wouldn't trust it.

Call marks offroad and get the pertronix kit.
If you have anyone with a spare distributor to borrow and test, it would be good to know.

Distributor

This is how it looked when I opened it up. What do you see that is different? Do you have a pic of what its suppose to look like? I just sold a petronix kit! :bang: I do have a full electronic ignition from a FJ60 to install. All I need is the seal for the side cover and a little confidence to do it. Today was not a confidence booster. Hopeing to have it installed after Christmas. Getting itchy to hear this run. :hillbilly:

Waterboy

gap

you getting a gap on those on the high lobe the screw looks all the way at one end and it looks like it might be on the lobe with no gap as well---a little hard to tell from the pic but it may have slipped

should also be able to open and close with a screwdriver and get a coil spark

You should be able to run fine with those points. Make sure the contact surface is clean and gapped properly. Close enough should get you a sputter. Check that your dist is connected to the ground on the coil I would connect it directly to avoid that wiring harness. Take that our out of the equation. Run a wire directly to the + side of the coil. Only connect it long enough to see if it fires up. A stock coil in a 1970 should have a ballast resistor on it. There should be a direct connection from the starter to the + side of the coil that supplied 12V while the starter is cranking. You could wire the directly as well. If the coil is good you should be able to get a spark and a sputter.

Coolerman had a great post about bulding a simple wiring harness to start the engine. I copied this idea, but I bought an actual universal ignition swith, it was under $10 and was nice to leave it wired and remove the key and not worry about the kids. Here is coolerman's harness build with details. It will help to remove your wiring harness from the equation and just worry about getting the engine running.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/179318-oy-coolermans-2-71-build-9.html#post3956232

looking at the first pics, did you attach wires to the coil? looks like it's missing something.
also the one wire has some connections in it, are you getting juice to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom