Smoking battery cables? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Watch out newbie here. I have a 1970 FJ40 with a 1/75 2F. I have learned a lot from this web site but I have to admit when it comes to wiring I am at a lose. I believe I have everything hooked up right (well till I tried to start it and the battery cables started to smoke). The motor does turn over and the starter does not get blazing hot, only the battery cables. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, but know Im at witts end. Time to resort to my Landcruiser Family. Please help...:hmm:

waterboy-albums-my-1970-fj40-picture16895-a.jpg

waterboy-albums-my-1970-fj40-picture16896-a.jpg

waterboy-albums-my-1970-fj40-picture16897-a.jpg

If more info or better pics are required please let me know. :hillbilly:

Is your battery connected the right way around? (Negative to earth/chassis/body?)

Your battery cables are JUNK!

Replace them.

The negative is connected to alternator bracket (green cable in pic). This is how the previous owner had it wired. If this is incorrect please let me know. I also have no idea how long the truck has sat. Ive had it about a year, but started with the frame an working my way up. All filters and fluids have been changed.

Consider it done Poser.

I would also pull the starter motor and test it. It could be frozen or shorted causing the cables to overheat. Since you said the you do not know how long it has been sitting, I assume you have never had the starter motor turn over.

I pulled my starter and refreshed it recently. It had been sitting for over 7 years is my guess. the part that slides to engage the fears was stuffed with straw and cloth. I guess mice had climbed into the timing hole and made some nests. It actually worked before I pulled it, but very intermittently.

That is not an uncommon ground connection point, but you want to make sure that you have a ground strap between the frame and engine as well as a connection between the negative at the battery and the engine.

Your ground cable seems larger than the positive. When you purchase replacement cables, see if you can get positive and negative cables the same wire size as the current ground.

Clean any corrosion where these cables attach; corrosion will create resistance to current flow. Resistance creates heat and heat can damage electrical components.
Positive lug on the starter solenoid, ground attachment point on the engine and any other connections need to be clean to make solid contact.

I wouldn't recommend it.

:D

I see lots of wire splices in the few pictures you posted...

Good luck.

Last edited:
The motor turns over with no problems. I dont have spark but I would like to figure out the smoking battery cables first.

Poser: A friend of mine said the same thing about a grounding strap from the engine to the frame. I gave it a quick glance and didnt see anything. Any suggestions on where the stock one would have been located?

IIRC, the ground strap ran from the bottom bolt of the starter motor over to the frame, attaching where a brake line junction secures to the frame as well.

It is the black wire with a yellow stripe in the first picture...

Does the engine turn over with the starter motor or by hand. You said the starter does not. If the starter is turning the motor over not as much to worry about, but if the starter does not turn the motor over it could be a major short with no fuse to blow, or a major load if the motor is not shorted but frozen. If the starter motor has problems it will smoke new cables as well. You definitely need new cables that is clear.

Poser: I have that one and actually did have to clean it up quite a bit. It should have a good ground know but I will take a pic tomorrow to get your opinion.

The starter motor is good to go. It has no problem turning over. If you guys think its necessary I will take it out and test it. Sorry for any confusion. The coil is stitting that way so I could make sure i had the positive and negative wired right.

Motors are electric.

The Land Cruiser has and internal combustion engine.

:beer:

Motors are electric.

I get strange looks when I explain that to people.:meh:

grounds

You could put that neg cable straight to the frame below the battery

that's just a pref I have

and def run a good ground to the engine as said

dont need to repeat it all but if you do clean it all up and tighten it up good I bet that motor will start that engine :grinpimp:

little dab of vaseline or dielectric grease wouldnt hurt

look for green coming out of the cables or any bulges in the cables or excessive stiffness in the cable----all signs of corrosion inside the insulation---I've cut some open and found some real messes

Motors are electric.

There are also rocket motors, which are chemical. ;)

MotorVersusEngine.jpg

Choose whichever term you want to use. (Motor or Engine.) It is just "personal preference".

:cheers:
MotorVersusEngine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom