Finally Bought my first CRUISER! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tip for removing old rusted shackles....
Just push them out with a gear puller like this! So much easier than burning and pounding.
20150920_104041.jpg

That crossmember and custom C-channels are are bad-ass. Not often you see someone using a milling machine on here.

And great work on that front end renovation, everything looks great.
Are your front shackle mounts only bolted in or did you run a bead? I would keep the bolt but also weld them if you didn't (use the bolt to locate them).

Well ive been sidetracked trying to fit in resurfacing and painting my mothers porch to my busy days..... Ive painted the frame and hopefully this weekend start reassembly of the rear end. But today I am looking at my rear spring seats, last thing to clean and paint for this weekend, and I notice they are different! I believe one is a front, one a rear???? the one on bottom is the rear? I think the shock mount looks rough on it anyways so maybe need to find some replacements ASAP!

20151002_084921.jpg

wholly crap. it would take me years to get that much work done. I hate not having the time to fix my s*** up.

Good to get it done, mine was the same and somehow I thought the welding continues but there is an end to it.

Is the shock rubber adjusted to that size? I dont think it really matters, not much force on the shock, if it breaks no problem?
rear is closed one:

file.php

file.php

file.php

Got my proper rear spring seats yesterday! $30!! Thanks Dan.
They are the newer style with 26mm spring pin hole so I had to turn a couple bushings from some 4140 shafting that was laying around. All painted and waiting for the ground to dry but the sun is out today so some progress will be had!

While I was waiting for paint to dry I got looking at my horn and why it is not working.
An it appears the brass 'slip ring' and spring assembly has worn completely down and released the spring (now lost).

20151002_171416.jpg

I happen to have a piece of 1/4" round brass bar, so cut off a little piece, drill a small shallow hole in one side on center and silver soldered in place. Disassembled a spring loaded pen to steal the spring (needed slight trimming on length).

20151002_180540.jpg

20151002_181502.jpg

And now, I have a functioning horn! One more thing done!

Looking at the pics, I realize I should have also done some dust cleaning as well, but left that for next time!

just saw this thread now. Awesome work so far. Where did you pick up your OME suspension. I haven't found a source in canada yet.
I love that tip about the gear puller on the bushings.
I have just subscribed

just saw this thread now. Awesome work so far. Where did you pick up your OME suspension. I haven't found a source in canada yet.
I love that tip about the gear puller on the bushings.
I have just subscribed
I bought from FJ60 Lift Kit: Old Mane Emu FJ60 Lift kit
Price was comparable as anywhere. 165 USD to ship (I believe cause they are close geographically to me). and of course I paid 300 and something in duty/taxes.
I tried to order from kurt as recommended everywhere on this site but they wouldn't even ship. He suggested they could ship at 4-500 USD+ plus duty. A couple other quotes came in the 300$ range plus duty.

I also just found out (browsing the web at s*** to get poor on) that Cap-it is the ARB dealer at least in western canada. I may have to stop in there one day.

On those bushings, I did have one SOB bushing/pin that would not push out. It did require some heat to melt the bushing and push the pin out as there was so much corrosion it swelled the pin x2 time its original size in places. Every other pin pushed out 'like butter', no heat required! I had lubed the old bushings several times in the weeks prior to attempting this work.

So here is a quick product review. So far so good. I soaked the two new to me spring seats in metal rescue for about 6 hours (could have left it a little longer?) before I decided I needed to paint so I could be ready for today. I quickly wire wheeled any crusty rust off before the soak and that was it. Here is the before and after.

20151002_162421.jpg

20151002_201143.jpg

And here is the repair done on the fuel tank strap. There was actually more metal there than I thought... but was still very thin thin in areas. At least I don't have to worry about loosing the tank!

20151002_093531.jpg

20151002_201244.jpg

Since these pics its been painted all shiny!

Last edited:
And now the C channel repair is done! I oiled up all surfaces before inserting the c-channel as even though that POR-15 paint is amazing s***, over time she will need some rust prevention.

That cross beam above the second body mount from the rear is going to need some TLC. Now may be the time to do it.........

20151003_171128.jpg

20151003_171137.jpg

20151003_170948.jpg

20151003_171109.jpg

The whole rear end is sitting on only one of the 4 body mounts. The PO had welded the c channel insert (visible in this last pic between frame and body) between body and frame I assume to take care of this issue. The body mounts in this rear end are the next issue to be tackled...... I may need some input.

And here is where I left it tonight..... so close I can almost taste it!

20151003_184432.jpg

20151003_184451.jpg

So ... this rear body mount is non exisitent. I am thinking of cutting out this section

20151003_171109.jpg

20151003_171255.jpg

and replacing with angle or c-channel. More s*** to do but no time like the present when I have it all out and exposed.

Last edited:
You have encountered the "while I'm at it" list. I needed to get my cruiser road worthy for a special day, so I cut that list alot shorter than I should have. On hind sight I wish I would have spent more time in a few key areas.
Don't fall victim to that list. I know guys who spend more time wrenching than driving. You need to find a balance.

Your body is pretty gone. I would personally tackle ALL of it at once. Get it over with and paint it. But that is what winter is for, garage time

You have encountered the "while I'm at it" list.
Please tell me there is an end to this list!?

So almost done the rear end.... still have shocks to install, clean up a few more things and oil everything up before reinstalling the diesel tank.

Also put together a breather hose for transmission/transfercase. Simple and free (hydraulic hose and fittings were removed from an old machine and free to take!). Just needed to tap the two fill plugs. One more thing complete!

20151006_135759.jpg

And now your opinions WANTED!

I have three sets of wheels, none of the tires very good. I am likely buying BFG KO2's, in either 33x10.5 or 33x12.5.
Set one - Stock chromed wheels. Needs blasting/cleaning/painting in prep for 10.5's
Set 2 - Black 8" x 15" steel wheels. Needs blasting/cleaning/paint in prep for 12.5 or 10.5's
Set 3 - Aluminum alloys 11" x 15" wheels. 4" backspace. Look nice, ready to go (maybe a quick polish) will only accept the 12.5's and require a wheel spacer. (Ive had them on but they rub on the TRE rubber boots).

I have manual steering, and am thinking the 10.5's would be more desirable over 12.5?
If I were to do it right now, it would be the black 8" wheels with 10.5" tires.

20151005_155909.jpg

Installed pic of the breather hose installed.

20151006_170912.jpg

Boy these pics sure show how dirty and oily this beast is.

You can also see my added neodymium magnet added to the drain plug. Hopefully it stays put!

and the obligatory (almost) final install pic of the rear OME kit. I need to modify the top shock mount for a better fit as the POs replacement shock mount is at the wrong angle for a proper alignment of the bushings. Explains why there was no bushing in the old top shock mounts! I just thought it was worn out!

20151006_170630.jpg

20151006_170708.jpg

Now is this good to go????

I mean the slack between the u-bolts and springs? The spring pin is snugly located within the spring perch and the spring seat locating everything in place, and u-bolts are square and torqued, but do I need something filling this gap? These spring seats are from a >85 and mines an 81.

20151006_171141.jpg

20151006_171147.jpg

Got all muddy and rolled around in the gravel pressure washing the old girls nether regions.... Picked up another can of POR15 and decided I will paint the frame and underbody wherever I can reasonably get at. Everything is degreased and washed and tomorrow I will 'prep and ready'

So got looking at my fuel tank which needs some TLC, and remembering I heard a rattle when removing, I picked it up and gave it a shake. Sounds like gravel.....

20151007_165124.jpg

I will post a separate thread on this as they tend to get better responses! But it is gravel, and some stuff... Looks lie a pre-filter and ??? Small rectangular aluminum chunk? and gravel! Everything below was found floating in the tank.

20151007_170817.jpg

20151007_170754.jpg

20151007_170747.jpg

20151007_170808.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom