My First Land Cruiser - BJ60 "Wabi Sabi" (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright!

I am finally part of the Land Cruiser community! Never realized how special these vehicles are to people until I hopped on this forum, and of course, when I finally drove it myself. I'm in love.

This thread is part for all of you, but mostly for me to keep a story board of what I have done with this. :)

I bought my first land cruiser completely on a whim. A buddy texted me the below photos out of the blue, and as a joke I replied "ill buy it, how much?". As it turns out, the guy was looking to sell...

It's a 1984 Canadian BJ60 I bought from a gentleman out in Manitoba. He was the second owner and purchased it in 1989 after coming back from Africa and falling in love with them. This thing looked mint and got it for a half decent price considering the prices are going up nonstop it seems. It has 317,000km and the previous owner was a diesel mechanic so it has all the proper maintenance done. He put brand new tires on it for when he sold it! Old school. The gentleman had been looking for a few years for a buyer, never posted it online. Turns out his sons had posted this reddit thread to gauge pricing a year or so before I came along and bought it for around $8k USD. (Reddit Post - Value Range?)

It has a diesel 4 cyl (3B) with a H55f 5 spd transmission. Took it for a couple drives and loved it. The small town test drive was a 30 minute cruise around some farm country with my buddy. Got it to highway speeds, slowed down and engaged the lockers and 4wd, it all worked. She's slow but its perfect. Looking forward to a lot more adventures when I have it where I want it. Planning on using it as mostly a mall crawler and daily driver, but I have a lot of camping plans as well in the rocky mountains. However, dont expect to see this thing on 35"s anytime soon.

Model: BJ60
Engine: Toyota 3B
Transmission: H55F
Year: 1984 (built in Nov 1983)
Colour Code: 857 Medium-Blue

I moved to Calgary AB recently and my buddy drove it all the way out from MB.

Pics from the truck in Manitoba that my buddy texted me before I bought it:

IMG_1678.jpeg

716689346.jpeg

And here is a picture from when I got it to Calgary.

DSC02010.jpeg

The odometer stopped working in Sask when my buddy was driving it out. That was the first job i did when i got it into my garage. Wasnt hard. ive worked on motorcycles and this was a similar small job that those skills translated well.

I Have been poking around the truck more and more and just loving looking at it and learning about them. Lots of good info out there, and this mud community and its patrons are phenomenal the more invested i get with this project. Thank you all in advance for your insight and guidance.

Things I have done so far:

- replaced the rear hatch struts (simple $30 for 2x of 16" ones from princess auto did the trick)
- complete re-assembly of odometer
- replaced front steering damper
- replaced both rear drum brake cylinders. (they were leaking something fierce after the drive from Manitoba to Alberta)
- Replaced rear rubber brake line (was leaking bad)
- new air filter. (old one was like maraca with so much dust and rocks?! in it.)

On the to do:

- garage beers :beer:
- 3B engine refresh and preventative maintenance
- Rust repair (rear seat area)
- undercoating, and rust prevention
- suspension re-fresh (i think the rear DS springs are broken as it has a 1" difference from drivers side to passenger side)
- spend all my money on parts
- scroll through ih8mud forums at work cause I'm addicted
- 1 million other things I'm sure.....

As a bonus, here is a picture from the previous owner when he drove the truck up to the Yukon in the 1990’s

IMG_4196.jpeg

Last edited:
And now onto the "build".

I plan on keeping the truck pretty much stock, but just want to make it more comfy and ensure that shes in mint condition.

I saw some threads that talked about sound dampening and i considered them correct. So i went after the tear down and prep the interior for some more sound deadening sheets later in spring. This is all part of the check up on the truck to see how the last 40 years have treated her.

Here is the tear down of the interior.

DSC02015-2.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

The good news, is that since i have an un-heated garage and its -10C outside, i dont need dry ice to take the old sound dampening off!! Shes just pops right off in the cold hahaha. Except the spots left behind as seen below. It likley had some oil or something spilled onto it which made the bitumen far more sticky.

DSC02027-2.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

more to come...

Last edited:
Annnnnd now my excitement of buying a "mint" land cruiser is over!

I should have known better that a truck from Manitoba would have some rust. After tearing apart the carpet and jute which came straight out with no issues, I found the issues.

Now I know this is a common rust area, had no clue to check here when I purchased. Oh well!

Where the rear seats have the bracket to the wheel well is where it gets spicy.

DSC02019.jpg

DSC02020.jpg

Uh oh!

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

I thought it didnt look too bad so i saw a thread from @joebattle1 that laid out what needed to be done. So i got after it.

DSC02031.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Love the name too, some patina will fit right in!

DSC02032.jpg

The more i picked away, the worse it got.....

I knew that i needed to place a datum hole for the rear seat mounts, and then drill out the spot welds. I was hoping that there was metal behind the mounts....

after a few hours of dremmeling and drilling, and breaking a drill, and a few drill bits. I managed to get one side free. Then the other.
I only managed to get the backing plate off the driver's side. What a pain in the a&&.

Theyre pretty mangled....

I need a good sheet metal fabricator type in Calgary....let me know if anyone knows someone.
I dont own a welder sadly.

DSC02033.jpg

DSC02034.jpg

Look how big that hole got from the start!!!! Sheeesh!!!

Cant wait to fix this. It will be done for next summer. Guarenteed.

I’m happy to hear somebody who had the same dream as me.

Keep us posted.

Annnnnd now my excitement of buying a "mint" land cruiser is over!

I should have known better that a truck from Manitoba would have some rust. After tearing apart the carpet and jute which came straight out with no issues, i found the issues.

Where the rear seats have the bracket to the wheel well is where it gets spicy.

View attachment 3497386
View attachment 3497387

Uh oh!

View attachment 3497388

View attachment 3497390

I thought it didnt look too bad so i saw a thread from @joebattle1 that laid out what needed to be done. So i got after it.

View attachment 3497392
Looking good…

Finally got the other side off.

This side was much easier as there was less rust on the passenger side.

Still formulating how and more importantly “who” can get this welding done for me.

I’m thinking I will have the prep sheet metal purchased, cut and bent by me to save in the fab process and just hire someone to weld it up for me. Should be a quick was to get the job done if they just need to weld the pieces I have already pre-made.

Anyone know what gauge sheet metal to use?

IMG_4808.jpeg

Mandatory Sunday shop clean up in prep for next week and work on the rear brakes to put them all back together with the new rear brake cylinders. They came in the mail in like 2 days! Surprisingly cheap too.

142BC8FD-672A-4B8A-8528-350610B0FE8C.jpeg

More to come…

1st, welcome aboard this crazy train from another canuk. gaugewise i'm thinkin' 18 gauge is a smidge thicker than stock.
may i suggest picking up a wire feed welder n teaching yourself to weld. it's not rocket surgery. good fortunes with the repair

Congrats on your new-to-you BJ60! Unfortunately at the age these are in, rust will play a factor in some way for pretty much all of them. The underside of yours looks to be in pretty good shape though, appears to just be mainly surface rust. Check the frame real good in the rear C-channels, the front shackle mount on the rear leaf springs, and the upper crossbar for the rear shocks. Look forward to watching your progress, I need to start getting after rust myself as well!

A Canadian BJ60 had rust? No way!

Congrats on your new BJ60! I'm in Lethbridge, just a couple hours south, and I've done extensive rust repair on 60 series trucks. DM me with any specific questions you may have.

There's no such thing as a rust-free Canadian Land Cruiser, so prepare to be always chasing the rust demon. This probably won't be the last surprise the truck has in store for you.

There's a decent community of Land Cruiser people in Calgary. Join our "Western Canadian Land Cruisers" facebook group, and maybe you'll find someone to help you with that repair.

In terms of fixing that panel, I would replace it with a flat piece of heavier stock: perhaps 12 or 14 gauge. For floors and inner fender, etc. use 18 gauge as @kirvesmies suggested.

A Canadian BJ60 had rust? No way!

No kidding right?! o_O Especially from Manitoba hahaha
I knew it was coming sooner or later!

Congrats on your new BJ60! I'm in Lethbridge, just a couple hours south, and I've done extensive rust repair on 60 series trucks. DM me with any specific questions you may have.

There's no such thing as a rust-free Canadian Land Cruiser, so prepare to be always chasing the rust demon. This probably won't be the last surprise the truck has in store for you.

There's a decent community of Land Cruiser people in Calgary. Join our "Western Canadian Land Cruisers" facebook group, and maybe you'll find someone to help you with that repair.

In terms of fixing that panel, I would replace it with a flat piece of heavier stock: perhaps 12 or 14 gauge. For floors and inner fender, etc. use 18 gauge as @kirvesmies suggested.

Sounds good! Let me know if there are any other sneaky spots I should get after like @Rabrownmkiv mentioned.

I was thinking of going to some auto body shop but I'm sure ill get charged out the nose for a "simple" weld job even if I prep the replacement metal plates.
Saw some people mention the below shop for Land Cruiser work.

Pro-Active Automotive
3501-29 Street NE
Calgary, AB

Cheers!

I've heard varying reports about Pro-Active. I know some people who've been very frustrated with their turnaround times. I don't even know if they do rust repair, but you could give them a shout I suppose.

I will say this: you have the resourcefulness and courage to get this far: why not find a used MIG welder on Marketplace or whatever, load it up with .023 wire, and have a go at welding in your own patches? Watch a few youtube videos and giver hell. Even if you buy a brand new welder from Canadian Tire or whatever, you're likely to wind up thousands of dollars ahead vs. paying a shop to do it for you, and that's IF you can find a shop that'll do it.

I've heard varying reports about Pro-Active. I know some people who've been very frustrated with their turnaround times. I don't even know if they do rust repair, but you could give them a shout I suppose.

I will say this: you have the resourcefulness and courage to get this far: why not find a used MIG welder on Marketplace or whatever, load it up with .023 wire, and have a go at welding in your own patches? Watch a few youtube videos and giver hell. Even if you buy a brand new welder from Canadian Tire or whatever, you're likely to wind up thousands of dollars ahead vs. paying a shop to do it for you, and that's IF you can find a shop that'll do it.

You're not wrong, I have welded in the past and done a course during my mechanical engineering degree on MIG/TIG and stick welding.

I think I could make it happen. The issue lies with the garage. I have a cheap-o garage that only has a measly 15A breaker sending power to it. No sub panel either. I blew the fuse 2 times when I was running the heater and the angle grinder hahaha. So that's where I'm not sure I have the facilities to accomplish the job!

edit: loving the FJ40 Basket Case build. Now there's some sheet metal work!

i second this
regarding the inadequate electrical, got any friends in the trade? i had the exact same issue when i moved in here. 2 weeks later i had 220 out in the old garage. got my sparky to come in n let me know what i needed where. i pulled the wire, mounted the boxes n he came in to tie it all together. payment? all he wanted was a 12 pack of brewskis. inspection?? :rofl:
read thru @diesellibrarian 's build , i believe this is the last or latest 62 he did Two 62s Become One - Build Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/two-62s-become-one-build-thread.1262739/post-15118374

Nice to see a BJ60 getting some love - that one looks to be pretty good. I'm deep into a BJ60 full restoration (changing the 3B for a 15B-T but otherwise keeping it pretty much stock) and it's interesting so see the engine shot from yours (though mine is single battery, right-hand drive). I bought mine from the first owner who bought it in early 1990.

If I were you, I would do the welding myself - start on the non-cosmetic stuff that you have revealed, then build up to the more skilled repairs you'll inevitable find. The roof gutters and rear wheel arches will almost certainly be rusty, a good chance that the bottom of the doors are too.

People flock to the HJ61s but in some ways I think the BJs were the ones to have - the 12H-T and 3F-E engines (HJ61 and FJ62) were both the last generation of those engine families. With the 3B, Toyota/Daihatsu were only getting started with the B engine. They are still being made as far more powerful direct injection, turbocharged engines which can drop pretty much straight in (no changes to engine mounts or transmission/driveline) in place of the 3B in case you want the extra power. Or just enjoy the slow, reliable 3B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom