Rust repair fj60 1984 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are some pictures of rust spots - rear tailgate, a pillars, roof, rear tailgate
What are the steps/tools I need to go about fixing this rust? I know, it’s a lot. Its been in northern California all its life rusted from the top down

IMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2671.jpeg

I wrote a thread on my roof rust journey and removing the roof skin and doing some rust repair. Mine was not as bad as yours in the pillars though. Check it out:

You’ll need a small mig welder, angle grinder minimum.

She needs to be saved.

this post gives me PTSD, lol. You gotta pull the glass from the back windows, the windshield; drop the headliner inside (you may end up replacing the entire roof). Welding thin metal is tedious. That's a lot of work you're looking at. a LOT. Good luck if you end up doing it yourself! :)

I did mine (lots of work around the windshield and a-pillars) and I'm happy now that I did it, but it was all summer spent making cardstock templates and cutting out metal pieces, forming, welding, and grinding.

Last edited:
This is awesome, good luck! These things shot up in value so much that I stopped seeing pics of FJ60's with duct tape covering rust holes, that made my day. I hope you enjoy the process, it'll be a long one, but these vehicles are worth it.

You can get used cut roof replacements, but I did a search and found an OEM roof for sale: ROOF PANEL & BACK PANEL - https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=486375&ukey_product=3994985#63111

There's a chance it's a ghost listing and bounces once they check the back for it, but worth a shot IMO.
Some of these websites list an item available for sale, then cancel your order because they don't actually have it in stock. Any crazy rare part like that I'd email the web store and ask first.

This is awesome, good luck! These things shot up in value so much that I stopped seeing pics of FJ60's with duct tape covering rust holes, that made my day. I hope you enjoy the process, it'll be a long one, but these vehicles are worth it.
That made me laugh... Guilty! I have gorilla tape over a couple holes on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom