My First Land Cruiser - BJ60 "Wabi Sabi" (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Gimme a 60, I think I found out what my 3B cold staring issue was....

Operator error! :bang:

So when I was messing with the wiring last night to wire up the inclinometer, I had been turning the key for accessories, just shy of the starter motor. As you know this kicks on the auto-glow cycle. Normally my little glow light comes on for a few seconds, then turns off. I assumed this was the end of the glow cycle. Apparently I was wrong. As I sat in the truck messing about with the wiring, I heard a relay pop after like 10 seconds....odd...

So I tried it again, and it did the same. A relay pops but long after the glow light goes out. Either way, I install the inclinometer and go about starting the truck. It hasn't been started in 3 days so its very much a "cold" start. Usually this requires 3 cycles of turning over the engine for at LEAST 10-20 seconds. A very long time.

Instead, this time, I turned on the accessories and the glow system came on, the light turned off, but I patiently waited for another 10 seconds in the cab. Then turned the key, and to my surprise, with the hand throttle pulled out a bit, she fired up within only a couple seconds. Not the laborious 10-20 seconds I was used to.

1714146194818.png

I tested this theory again this morning before work after the truck sat all night, and what do you know...waiting the extra 5-10 seconds works wonders.

Turns out I should have read the 3B engine manual on the auto-glow (Super Glow) system... :doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom