Custom in dash dual USB mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Well I got sick of the GPS fighting with the iPhone and iPad and the iPod and the quad and the CB and the seat heater.... So I decided to make myself a USB outlet to fit in the dash and not take away my 12V outlet with an adaptor.

Used one of the switch blanks and mounted a 2.1 amp mini dual socket USB to it.

Now I can charge my quad without loosing a 12v outlet!

Yes, yes, I know there are other options out there, but this space was just begging for an outlet!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's cool little drone, is there any on board camera?

Haha, not only is it small, it's very flyable, and pretty inexpensive.

Estes proto x (yes the people who make rockets). Should be about $40 at your local US hobby shop ($50 in Canada)... If not, about the same everywhere online...

No camera on this one but smallest available quad, and it has an amazing gyro.

My next quad will have onboard camera, and I have a. "Big" one (about 18" across) that will get my gopro strapped to it this summer.

hate to burst your bubble bud:

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 1.07.04 AM.png

I just about did what you did. But i figured at some point i would find one.
Sure enough I did.
www.aliexpress.com search toyota usb switch
I received one already and it looks good, haven't fitted it yet.

I wonder how electrically noisy they are?...I run radios and the noise from every USB adapter I tried so far is a noisy lil SOB

hate to burst your bubble bud:

View attachment 1038918

I just about did what you did. But i figured at some point i would find one.
Sure enough I did.
www.aliexpress.com search toyota usb switch
I received one already and it looks good, haven't fitted it yet.
That's not really direct fit. Yeah it'll go in there and kinda sorta fit. It will be a little loose and stick out a little. Those are designed for newer Toyotas.

How did you make it?

If you're talking about mine, I just carefully cut a square hole in a switch blank and mounted the guts of a 12v USB cigarette lighter style outlet to the back of it. I wired it to the back of the 12V outlet

FloridaFJ80,

I saw you have a rocker style dual usb charging port for 80 series. Do you or anyone else have or know where to get a dual switch with USB charging and USB input for compatible head units? Something like pictured below but fits our dash switch size?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437008913.264613.jpg

I just want to know if that small helo quad drone is still operational! :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom