Another 4-Speed Conversion Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the driveshafts and took her for an inaugural 4-speed run. Shifts thru all of the gears without issue. But the speedometer isn't working. My working theory is that I need to pull the parking brake and inspect the bolts securing the backing plate. Sadly, I may have not put the short bolt in the upper left corner so it may have damaged the speedo gear or housing. :( So, I will need to loosen the motor mounts and lift the front of the engine in order to pull the drum to inspect and see what is going on. Dang!

View attachment 3578736

View attachment 3578737
Love that you got it running! But sorry about the speedometer housing! I hope I didn’t install those bolts wrong too now that you mention it.
By the end of this we will be pros and tilting the motor. Hahaha

Installed the driveshafts and took her for an inaugural 4-speed run. Shifts thru all of the gears without issue. But the speedometer isn't working. My working theory is that I need to pull the parking brake and inspect the bolts securing the backing plate. Sadly, I may have not put the short bolt in the upper left corner so it may have damaged the speedo gear or housing. :( So, I will need to loosen the motor mounts and lift the front of the engine in order to pull the drum to inspect and see what is going on. Dang!

View attachment 3578736

View attachment 3578737
So when I installed my Bone-O-Drive, my Dakota Digital Speedo worked initially then went Ka-Put after a few miles. What I had found was the little brass key that goes into the Speedo shaft on the TC had slid out and wasn’t turning the cable. There is like a felt spacer that goes in there and mine was pushed up into the end of the cable. So I added a second felt spacer from my bags of spare parts, I also bought an extra cable from Dakota, just in case….anyway the moral is, check the little brass key is correctly engaged with the Speedo drive.

Thanks! What does the little felt spacer look like. I don’t have one in there.

Thanks! What does the little felt spacer look like. I don’t have one in there.
It’s part #80 from SOR…it like a piece of 1/4 thick felt, maybe 3/8” diameter…..with a hole in the middle.
IMG_3842.png

Speedometer is now working. Replaced the old gear with a new OEM replacement PN 33403-69016. We will see if it lasts. If not, the back-up plan would be to switch over to GPS since the Dakota Digital is already set up for that. I have ordered a M22x1.5 female banjo block-off cap just in case I end up going that route.

Next on tap will be to install the 4-speed shift boot and retainer plate. Part numbers shown below:
03.14.2024.Speedometer Driven Gear.jpg

4-Speed Shift Lever Boot.jpg

4-Speed Shift Lever Boot Retainer Plate.jpg

Hump day. Placed 4 M6 rivnuts for new 4-speed boot and retainer plate. 4-speed instruction plaque mounted on pocket door. Next up is replacing the defrost knob with one that our son 3D printed for us

Another option for those wanting to delete the speedo gear for GPS. :)
Designed for splitcase but should work on single-piece as well.

The final thing was to replace the defrost knob. We had a generic one that was not OEM. It stuck out too far and the 4-speed shift lever would hit it when shifting into first and third gear. I found in the 3D depository where @EmanC posted a link to the 3D printing files for early defrost knob here
The profile doesn't protrude as much and works better with the 4-speed. Drove it to the gas station and re-calibrated the speedometer. Calling it a wrap for now.

IMG_0753.JPEG

IMG_0754.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom