HJ47 - 1HZ Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

After working over both of the 2H engines that came with my HJ47 Ute it seems both are low on compression and needing rebuilds.

Luckily I've obtained a complete HZJ75 troopy as a doner car with a 1HZ turbo and going to attempt s conversion but have a load of questions before removing the engine from the troopy to begin installing it to my 47s rolling chassis

1. Engine mounts and cross member - is easily sorted luckily we have a guy called Billy McKinnon over here in oz making the mounts and a member that's bolt in so that seems easy enough

2. Wiring - I'm completely stumped on, have a fairly complete hj47 loom which I spent weeks repairing and know fairly well now... However guessing best to use the hzj loom how's this exactly done do I need to splice the hzj loom into the 47s loom ? Such as running ignition to my 47 barrel and then to the 1HZ ? Is it easy enough to pull the glow system and timer box etc from the 1HZ and install it into the 47... Really stumped here as much info as possible would be great.

3. Drive shafts - I understand need to be shortened for the rear and longer for the front?

4. Power steering - I still need to wrap my head around I'm guessing there's no way to null the pump and install power steering later on and run the stock 47 series pump and shafts? If not what's required to have the 1hz pump working I'm assuming the shafts & steering box won't work off the hzj?

5. Brake booster box - Delete the 47 brake vacuum booster box on driver's side and install a hzj one in the bay which I have spare

6. Handbrake - Going to run no handbrake for a bit until I'm ready to tackle the rear end swap I just fully rebuilt my drum and rear axel housings an the one off the hzj may be a bit rusty to use will have access once the engine side of things are done, but do hzj75 troopy carriers rear end housings etc just bolt directly in complete ?

7. Exhaust routing - as long as I remove the brake vacuum box on driver's side just run it out driver's side of will the steering shaft hit ?

8. Radiator - which to use ? Do I need to cut off the current radiator mounts and use something else can a 1hz radiator fit as I have a perfectly fine one to use from the doner and it's mounts etc

9. Gauges - run aftermarket for temp, oil pressure etc easy enough ...guessing the cluster becomes pretty useless how does one run speedo cable fits rear still from the hzj h55 box ?

10. Fuel return - simple as taking a part off the troopy fuel tank to install to the 47s tank and running a hard line or soft line back to it or something bit more complex?

Thanks for taking the time to read! I'm sure there will be plenty more questions and happy to post up photos of the build as I go if anyone's got any help/input on any of the points feel free to reply!

Your helps much appreciated this is my first proper engine conversion and hoping to gain the knowledge to make this as trouble free as possible

Cheers
Trent

IMG_20231128_172222.jpg

Bugger was hoping one of you would be quite knowledgeable with this conversion :D I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that someone can help chime in!

Hit up the diesel section on here, you’d Probabaly get more advice but I’ll try to help you out.

Sounds like you swapping the whole drivetrain? Engine/tranny/tcase?

It’s going to require a lot of custom work

Drivelines adjusted
That h55f shift tower is going to come out in a different space. 40 series used a different shift tower to put it in the right place amd
Those don’t exist anymore.

Exhaust, just use the 1HZ Downpipe and custom make it to fit.

Wiring should be fairly simple to tie the 1HZ in. The glowplug controller will be the hardest but you can make a Wilson switch setup for manual glowing.

Radiator - just use whatever radiator has the right layout for driver/passenger which is Probabaly 75 series. If not, get a custom built that bolts into the hj47 with the proper outlets.

Shroud - make sure you get a good shroud,

@crushers offers all the bits needed to mount....

@crushers offers all the bits needed to mount....

Hey mate for mounting im pretty sorted as we have a local guy making conversion kits here in Australia but thanks for that information

Hi, l'm in the process of buying a 1984 hj47 that has no power steering, after some research there's a company in the Netherlands who manufacture electronic power steering units for the Toyota from what l've been told if your truck has the 4 bolts at the bottom of the column going through the floor its an easy conversion with only the ECG box needing synchronised electronically. They supply the unit & once installed if everything's okay, you can return your old unit to get a partial refund on the original price. Its not cheap at £2500 but you'll get back around £700. l hope this helps.

@Ozzy75 How’s the 1HZ swap going?
Would be a good thing in a HJ47 and something l would consider if my 2H needed a overhaul.
As to your questions about the wiring it will depend on what glow system you have? If the later glow set up you could convert to the 1HZ with the correct voltage glow plugs and a single wire for the fuel solenoid is all that is needed for the fuel pump.
Radiator maybe use a HJ47 and get the inlet and outlet changed to suit the 1HZ or can you get the 1HZ to fit the 40 series cradle/frame?
Gauges, I run a JRP multi gauge set up in my turbo 80 series and love it, very easy to read and compact.
75 series rear diff fits but the spring perches have to be moved, centre will swap over but again the flange bolt pattern maybe different so a multi hole flange could fix that.
Matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom