Builds 1976 '40 Resto/Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, do you have to mount the manual locks in the cab? That seems wierd to have brake line coming into the cab. A cable actuated one would be cool.
Edit, why do they all say that they are not meant to be an emergency brake?

Very cool, thanks for the links.

I beleive an "emergency brake" is a mechanical system that does not rely on your brake hydraulics, so it can be used in an emergency if the hydraulics system fails.

There is not a snow ball's chance in hell that a stock T'case brake would slow a Cruiser during an emergency. It's a "parking brake" at best.

What sort of RDB conversion are you going to use? If using Chevy parts, you can do a parking brake....

Edit said:
An emergency brake is a seperate system from the hydrolic brake lines.

Picture youself rolling down a steep decent on a nasty trail... now you brake pedal hits the floor... locking up the hydrolic pressure with a line lock in the line will produce no stoppage.

Grab the emergency brake handle, and a mechanical cable engages the brake drum on the tcase...

..."whoa, that was close."-Chris Farley

LIne locks are cool and can give you a third foot sometimes when you really need it, but it shouldnt replace a good emergency brake.

Rezarf <><

Dude, I dont think that the dinky cruiser ebrake is going to stop anything on a steep decent.:D

ridgerunner said:
There is not a snow ball's chance in hell that a stock T'case brake would slow a Cruiser during an emergency. It's a "parking brake" at best.

What sort of RDB conversion are you going to use? If using Chevy parts, you can do a parking brake....

TRUTH

ridgerunner said:

I was wondering about this. I bought the RDB conversion brackets Dearborn was selling and I am waiting for them to arrive. I assume they are for GM calipers. If so, is there a specific caliper I can use?

Better check your state regulations as well - in Texas a vehicle must have a working emergency brake to pass inspection ... and a line lock does not fulfill this requirement :frown:

Nice work on the frame!

Tucker

red66toy said:
Dude, I dont think that the dinky cruiser ebrake is going to stop anything on a steep decent.:D

No it's not going to stop you like the regular brake system would. But that said I can lock my rear wheels up with it as long as I pull on it hard. It really depends on if you have it set right and no oil leaks.

And a line lock won't pass inspection at GSMTR. As the saftey guy for our club I would recommend it as a third option or for special purposes.

IanB said:
I was wondering about this. I bought the RDB conversion brackets Dearborn was selling and I am waiting for them to arrive. I assume they are for GM calipers. If so, is there a specific caliper I can use?

I'm not sure of the dearborn kit, but you can use Eldorado calipers which have an integral parking brake. http://tsmmfg.com/3110.htm

If you have the "standard" chevy kit, something like this : http://tsmmfg.com/2491.htm you should be able to swap the eldo calipers in no problem.

search line locks from summit there cheap and good. great for wheeling to, glad i could help ya. you just push in your brake pedal push a button in the cab and your brakes stay on...

Springs are done. Sandblasted, military wrap drilled and reversed, painted with Zero Rust, reversed and reinstalled. :beer:

Time to put some weight back on it so I can cut and turn the axles. :bounce: :flamingo:
PICT0457small.JPG
PICT0458small.JPG
PICT0484small.JPG

it's so inspiring to see someone do it right, straight from the beginning. it's gonna look beautiful in the end if you continue to keep putting this kinda effort and detail into it.

Hi All:

Ian, great job on the rig so far! Man, that is a lot of work! But, in the end it will be worth it! And, I hope you are enjoying the challenge!

Cute "Pitty" you got there!

Best of luck with the rest of the project!

Alan
Seattle

Nice clean shop too.

Thank you all for you kind words. Its nice to hear from fellow cruiserheads, especially since all my non-cruiser friends think I'm crazy for doing this. :bounce: :grinpimp: :bounce2:

There is a lot of wear on the output shaft, I am not sure if you can tell from these pictures. What is an "acceptable" amount of wear before replacing the shaft or looking for another tranny? :confused:
PICT0512small.JPG
PICT0514small.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom