Builds 1976 '40 Resto/Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rear axle housing, all welded up. You can't see it very well in this pic but I left vestiges of the old spring perches on as both a guide for the new u-bolts and as a bit of protection for them. I also added small brackets to tie the brake lines too, the original ones were shot.

I gave it a coat of Zero Rust then 2 coats of Rustoleum then bolted it up.
PICT1195.JPG
PICT1196.JPG
PICT1200.JPG

The wire wheeling and painting is never ending... :rolleyes:
PICT1203.JPG
PICT1224.JPG

Ready to build up the rear axle.

New studs, washers and nuts.

Diff ready to assemble with all new bearings and seals and a fine spline R&P.

Poly Perf rears with new gaskets, studs and flanges.
PICT1216.JPG
PICT1294.JPG
PICT1226.JPG

Assembled the diff. It wasn't really difficult, just a PITA. The moment of truth is the pattern the r&p make when they contact, but you have to assemble everything and set all preloads and the backlash before checking the tooth pattern. Then, if its not right, you take it all the way back apart and do it all over again.

I did it so many times I am pretty sure I can assemble a diff in my sleep now. :doh:
PICT1304.JPG
PICT1308.JPG
IMGP0157.JPG

Yesterday I ran a tap through all all the stud holes and put in all new studs, then put the rebuilt fine spline diff in. Then it got over 100 degrees and so the rest of the day was spent drinking ice cold :beer:

I just noticed when going through the pics to post that I haven't staked the pinion nut :doh:
IMGP0161.JPG
IMGP0162.JPG
IMGP0169.JPG

time to hobble your crippled ass into the shop and give us an update :flipoff2:

100 degrees damn bro are you and Satan doing a build together:eek:

And that my friends is why dumb @$$es like me should stay out of forums.... should have checked the post date my bad:bang:

time to hobble your crippled ass into the shop and give us an update :flipoff2:

Man, that is what I was thinking, you know you got more than that to show duuuuuuuude. Here is what you need to do:

Crack open a Cherry Wheat :beer:

Find your digital Camera...

Drink another Cherry Wheat :beer:

Stumble/hobble into the garage...

Crack open the next :beer:

Rest yourself on one of your stools and snap a few pics...

(remind yourself there is more :beer: inside) and head back in.

Upload some pics BUD! :D

tumbleweed.gif

:flipoff2:

any news?

Almost a year since the last post...and longer than that since the last post of interest...

[crickets]

Seriously.
:flipoff2:
WTF?

I'm not sure that Ian is even on Mud anymore so here's an update.... I bought his 76' for my dad as a project for both of us to do together. Months went by and neither of us were able to coordinate time to wrench together. After a year, I decided to forget the build & put all the cool stuff that came with Ian's project on my '64 that I had been building for the last 10 years. So bottom line, my '64 got fresh SOA's with cryo'd shafts/longfields/disc brakes x4, a crawlbox, and a Saginaw p/s conversion. From there, and without Dad's knowledge, I tubed out some fenders/sliders, bent up a family roll cage, and threw some paint on it. I then invited Dad to Cruise Moab 2014 for a week of wheeling. Knowing the first thing he'd do when he arrived in Moab was check out the 40...I taped this letter to the steering wheel:

Dad-

I’m so glad that you and Cathie decided to come out to Cruise Moab and go 4-wheeling with us. Hopefully this week will remind you of when I was Lilah’s age and we would go 4-wheeling in your old Bronco. I suppose most of our trips back then were to cut firewood but you and Uncle Bill would always manage to put the 4wd to the test. I loved riding around in that rig with the top off even though your Jonsered would always manage to injure me in some fashion. As cool as that rig was, my earliest memories of four wheeling was you always talking about Toyota’s. You’d go on and on about how great they were. Sayings like “there’s nothing better than a Toyota” or “Toyota’s will always outlast any American vehicle” are forever burned into my head. I distinctly remember you saying “someday I’m gonna buy a brand new Toyota pickup”.

That day finally came. It seemed like an eternity that I stared out Nanny & Pop’s front window waiting for you to return from the dealership. Finally you pulled up in that brand new 1979 4wd Toyota pickup. The white paint was so shinny that it hurt my eyes and that “new car” smell was amazing. It was then and there that I said to myself “someday I’m gonna buy a brand new Toyota pickup”…..

That thought was reinforced every time we’d pass a Landcruiser. You’d always say “Oh that’s a nice Cruiser” or “Boy, that guy has done a lot of work to that one”. Every backpacking, camping, and ski trip we took there was always a 40 that would get your (and my) attention. “Greatest off road rig ever made” you’d say.

In 2003 I finally found an FJ40 that I could afford. Julie drove me up to Golden to pick it up and it was quite the “white knuckle” drive home. A mile down the road I discovered that only the front passenger –side drum was working! That trip from Golden to Aurora with one headlight, no taillights, and only one wheel braking was the longest and most terrifying trip I’ve ever made. During that trip I thought to myself, “This is going to be a lot of work”.

Well, it was. Over the last 11 years I’ve done the following:

• De-smogged 1986 2F motor swap
• Rebuilt 4-speed transmission
• Rebuilt transfer case
• Marlin Crawl box
• SOA (Spring over axles) with flipped springs
• 4 wheel disc brakes
• Saginaw power steering w/ tilt column
• 6 point cage
• Learned to weld and fabricate metal
• Front bumper w/ WARN 8264 winch
• Viair On-board air system
• Longfield birfields with Cryo’d axles front and rear
• Rebuilt 3rd members front and rear
• ARB locker up front; Lockrite locker in the rear
• Painless wiring harness
• Shackle reversal
• Moved 3x
• Had Lilah & Everett

I have only one regret; not getting it done in time for your retirement in 2005! Yep, I bought this 40 with every intention of giving it to you as retirement gift. I sincerely hope you and Cathie enjoy “Cruising” up and down the Mackenzie River in Oregon. Thanks for being such a great Dad. I love you!

Love,
Travis

So how's that for an update? 90% of Ian's rig lives on in the form of a 1964 FJ40, and Dad has been smiling ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom