Builds 1976 '40 Resto/Buildup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great rebuild Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I am surprised that I just discovered your thread.

I especially liked the engine pics. I hate seeing paint on a gasket or gasket sealing surface, and you did yours just like I did mine. It may not really matter in the long run, but it makes me feel better.

Keep up the great work. I am a follower of your progress now. :beer:

The split case needs to be modified to accommodate a protrusion on the back plate of the ToyBox (indicated by the arrow in the first pic). I called Dave at Marlin and he sent me a jig (second picture) and bit to remove the necesary material from the split case.
PICT0891small.JPG
PICT0886small.JPG
PICT0893small.JPG

I used the aluminum pins to align the jig with the bolt holes on the front face of the split case and clamped it in place (gently, its all aluminum).
PICT0908small.JPG
PICT0909small.JPG

I determined the exact amount of material to remove ( 10 mm radius arc 19mm deep) and drilled it out slowly and carefully using the bit Marlin sent me and a 1/2" cordless.
PICT0912small.JPG
PICT0918small.JPG
PICT0923small.JPG

The final results. All in all it was super easy, it would have taken 5 minutes if I hadn't spent so much time taking poser shots and remeasuring everything (I didn't want to start a thread on 'how I fawked up my split case'). Dave at Marlin tells me they will eventually be including a template with the ToyBox to do this, but in all honesty if you can get them to mail you the jig do so, it makes the job super easy. And don't forget to mail the jig back promptly! :D

Heres the final result, front half of the split case mated with the back side of the ToyBox.
PICT0929small.JPG
PICT0931small.JPG
PICT0930small.JPG

....and that's why Marlin is a great guy to do biz with.

Sweet looking stuff Ian!

Just curious, but why is that pin there to begin with? Is to help index the case?

Just wondering.

Rezarf <><

REZARF said:
Sweet looking stuff Ian!

Just curious, but why is that pin there to begin with? Is to help index the case?

Just wondering.

Rezarf <><

It houses part of the shifter mechanism inside the Toybox, its actually hollow.

Which is funny, we were drinkin :beer: and lookin at it the night it got here and my friend decided it was just leftover from the milling process and I should cut it off. :eek: I kept him away from the Toybox and called Marlin the next morning :idea: ;)

After much agonizing over wether to just take the tranny to a tranny shop and have them put in the new output shaft from Marlin I decided to do it myself. I figured for the cost of the labor to have the shaft replaced I could buy a puller and then I would not only own the puller but I would have still have done everything on this build myself.

I bought a Posi-Lock TJ1 puller, in retrospect I should have purchased part #11054L (the 16" jaws, I got 11054 with 10" jaws) as the jaws were about 1/4" short for removing the bearing from the long output shaft of an H42 with a spacer. It turns out that Sears.com had the best price I could find on the puller ($169).

While I waited for the bearing puller I painted the outside of the tranny. Tranny and puller pics:
PICT0941.JPG
PICT0944.JPG
PICT0950.JPG

Next was just following the FSM to dismantle the tranny.
PICT0951.JPG

The lower rear bearing presented a problem. It does not have a snap ring so the new puller was useless. In true White Trash fashion much :beer: was consumed and then I had an :idea:

I bought some 5/16" x 6" carriage bolts from the hardware store (first pic) and then ground off all of the head of the bolt excelt one side (second pic). I chose carriage bolts becuase they have a wider head than machine bolts. I then used the bulk of a harmonic balancer puller I had along with my booty-fabbed "jaws" to remove the lower rear bearing. Net cost for this puller was about $2 (since I had the harmonic balancer puller).
PICT0952.JPG
PICT0953.JPG
PICT0954.JPG

The next problem was the output shaft. The 1985 H42 has an exceptionally long output shaft that goes through a spacer between the tranny and t-case. The spacer is to make the H42 as long as the H55, basically its where 5th gear is in the H55. The result is a looooong output shaft. As I mentioned earlier I had the extended jaw puller but not the longest set of jaws. It turned out that my puller was 1/4" short for pulling the bearing off this shaft :mad:

I contemplated sending the puller back, etc., but I am home this week (I travel for work) and really wanted to make some progress, so after due consideration and several more :beer: 's I decided I woudl cut the output shaft. I would never need it again so all I was losing was potential resale value of the used shaft and that was offset by my desire to git 'r done. I took 3/8" off the output shaft to make sure. Below is the butchered shaft and a shot of the stock shaft next to the new Marlin shaft for comparison.
PICT0963.JPG
PICT0961.JPG

You are a very resourceful person. I like to McGyver things too. Your resto looks awesome!

Reassembled the gears on the new output shaft. Now that I am ready to put it all back together I am regretting not getting new bearings for the tranny. While I'm in there its silly not to. So it looks like I will spend this morning seeing if I can dig up a set of OEM bearings in Colorado so I can put this back together today. My goal this week is to get the tranny, Toybox and t-case mocked up on the chassis so I can start to figure pinion angles, crossmembers, anti-wrap bar and drivelines.

Hopefully I will be posting pics of the assembled tranny tommorow. Overall I have about 2 hours and 6 :beer: 's into it so far. I give it :banana: :banana: if you have the pullers. I also noticed what may be a discrepancy in the FSM, I will scan it and post with pics later.
PICT0962.JPG

Thanks guys!

Got bearings yesterday, the tranny is rebuilt and I am putting it in today. I need to pic up bolts from Fastenal and put the axle housings back under the frame. Pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom