Yeller Gold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you started welding your fishplates yet?
Nope, night off from shop, trying to get both kids set up for remote learning...I fawking h8te computers :bang:

Two kinds of news any given day...

Got 2 of the scab plates welded on, I was nervous welding to the frame but happy with the welds as they turned out.

Then re- laid out my hangers and realized I’m missing a super important check measurement, center of rear spring hanger eye to same on front spring hanger. Right now I think I’ve inadvertently moved the axle ahead too far...am shooting for 1”

Anyways, happy with some progress tonight after lots of yard work & some family time for Easter.

Pics, because it’s the rule:

EEB2A235-9908-4034-857D-1D009C3B1AFE.jpeg
4FD1BDEF-28F6-47C3-8327-5A8995C4563D.jpeg
3DEFE623-910E-4AC5-AF0E-0E2B5F6908F8.jpeg

Looks solid!
So you were wanting to move your axle forward an inch?
Roughly yeah, just gives more future options if this ever gets bigger tires.

I kinda pooched myself when I welded on the scab plates I lost my layout I had carefully worked out, then I went to check on that critical distance and found I lost/misplaced my measurement. :slap:

Been meaning to post a couple pics of how I’ve got my hangers marked to prevent that. Thought it was maybe too trivial for even myself to post, but maybe not!
Yeah I’d been doing yard stuff with wife & kids and was determined to get something done so I went after dinner and burned those plates on without taking a second look at sequence...oh well.

All I need is a simple measurement off a stock frame to get back on track.

I kinda pooched myself when I welded on the scab plates I lost my layout I had carefully worked out,
I use center punch marks when I do layout and I've been known to use a center drill to mark a critical mark and spot weld it after I'm done.

All I need is a simple measurement off a stock frame to get back on track.
So if anyone has access in the next bit, I’d appreciate a measurement either from front shackle hanger to spring hanger or from the rear spring hanger to the front one, get myself back on track after a moment of less than enough foresight. I have another work around but an actual reference would be nice.

I use center punch marks when I do layout and I've been known to use a center drill to mark a critical mark and spot weld it after I'm done.
Thanks!
Yup I knew better but got ahead of myself, dumb mistake...all I had was the scribe through the layout dye. Needless to say it vaporized next to the weld.

I have always established a datum reference and everything is worked off that point, sharpie or scribe lines are for convenience but all measurements are still confirmed from the initial datum reference mark before welding.

Hope this makes sense, if you lived closer you could bring a few beers and we could layout your frame tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom