Wrenching Day Pics--13 AUG 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Marty, yeah its missing right now. On early models, I think 71 and older it is removable. Kind of like the cowl vent in the middle of the hood. Like a dumb ass I striped the screws out on mine then threw the part away because it was a bit rusty. I have been looking for a while for another one and cant find one. 8 screws hold it in place. where as later models it was stamped. I think the purpose of it is to bring cold air into the heater fan blower motor.

well Rock auto SHOULD have the correct rotors sent to me today. Then finding a few hours to finish the front end up. Hopefully third times a charm with the rotors.

Warren,

Just wondering, since you did the later model axle swap, would you do it again? Or would you recommend just doing the mini swap? It is still a ways off for me, but the reason I ask is because I have a line on a set of 78 axles, w/ stock front discs. I think that I just want to hold off and find a cheap mini axle, however.

Marty

Some would dis agree. but I would do the 40 swap again. I think the biggest thing is the birfields. I well Jim C ground out the housings in the 40 axle to accomodate the larger mini truck birfs. So that was a strength upgrade.

It really depends on your donor disk axle. Mine was completely shot. Everything was replaced, seals, gaskets. bearings races. etc. This upped the cost by about another 140 bucks or so. I also needed new rotors and calipers and pads. Some donors, you can get by with new pads and turning the rotors, Mine where shot.

I got both of my 77 axles (F&R) for 300 bucks which was a good deal. But I had to put in nearly 400 more with all of the other stuff. but that was to do it right, Everything is new on them. Its really 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another.

If you have a good drum front right now. I would spend the 200 or so for the mini conversion parts. and Sell the disk front for 500 or so. Use the extra 300 for a locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom