Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F (@NeverGiveUpYota) how are things going? Been a couple weeks since you updated us!

Like an ass I ordered parts from TPD then missed an email from them and they cancelled it. Had to begin the order all over so I'm in limbo now waiting for stuff to arrive.
I keep spacing on getting to the PO too w/ your thread chaser and Jason's 12pk. I've got a lot on my brain as I just had to do a caliper job on my Nissan (my first) which thankfully went well other than having to swap a rear tire to the front. As well as I need to get my roof done asap and seeking out leftover material cheaper than new.
Sometimes I wish I were 20 again and didn't have all these responsibilities!

Like an ass I ordered parts from TPD then missed an email from them and they cancelled it. Had to begin the order all over so I'm in limbo now waiting for stuff to arrive.
I keep spacing on getting to the PO too w/ your thread chaser and Jason's 12pk. I've got a lot on my brain as I just had to do a caliper job on my Nissan (my first) which thankfully went well other than having to swap a rear tire to the front. As well as I need to get my roof done asap and seeking out leftover material cheaper than new.
Sometimes I wish I were 20 again and didn't have all these responsibilities!

Move to california and you won't even know your roof leaks. And almost 365 wrenching days a year.

No thanks! The uncertainty whether the ground is gonna break open at any given moment? No sir!

No thanks! The uncertainty whether the ground is gonna break open at any given moment? No sir!
Don't forget the uncertainty every year of whether you are going to pass CA smog inspection. Nope. No thanks! I'll keep my right coast rust thank you very much!

Smog testing sucks. California is a great place to live, but the smog situation is enough to make you want to leave. Though in truth, fuel injection basically solves the smog equation.

Welp found some sweet shingles for half the price and the guy was even nice enough to follow me home w/ half the packages. Old retiree who sings and plays guitar at a senior center. How could I not trust him?

Smog is just beginning. Then you have your over excited liberals who want to control everything and gas taxes next year that will increase our fuel by $1.00 above everyone else on the planet. If you moved here you would't have any money to fix the Cruiser. The weather is awesome but the politics suck. I will be retiring in Nevada.

Okay getting a few things back together... still waiting on clamps, a new tstat and bolts for the housing.
Also figured out I could use my old choke cable to splice my carb fan connector to the manifold heat sensor. It's not super pretty but better than the first three. Damn good thing I had so much to screw up before I got it more right.

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7546.JPG

IMG_7547.JPG

@NeverGiveUpYota I admire your spirit here. You have done a tremendous amount of good work on your machine.

Your alternator is obviously not stock, and the wiring is janky. You should fix that. Because once you're up and running, you should have years before you need to dive into it again. But electrical problems seem to sideline more Land Cruisers than anything else. Since you still have the stock plug, I'd recommend the stock alternator. Or, I'd recommend grafting the stock wiring harness to the GM plug. Jumpers like this will get water and salt in them, corrode and sideline your ride.

It's a cs130. There is a resistor inline which is part of why it looks swanky. The pigtail is hooked up to the 12v side. It's wired right but yes not pretty. I need to find a better way to contain all of it. For now it's what it is.

First start up after top end rebuild! Full choke for initial warm up prior to pulling the rocker arm to retorque the headbolts. Started at 3:35, ran till 3:55. Got everything off by 4:11 and was done retorquing by 4:33.

Few pics from the poorly weather planned afternoon. 90 degrees here in CT the last few days. Awful heat but I couldn't keep putting it off. I swear the truck was goading me from the driveway. Got a couple small burns on my left inner arm but hey, first retorque is DONE! And I prob just sweat off a couple pounds in that heat! Also the smell from the new valves I swear was not much different from that new car smell. Initially smoke and such from off the new paint I added to the exhaust manifold too. In the video there is a puddle of coolant... heater hose needed to be tightened but it was the only one. Damn good for having replaced them all!
Valve lash tmrw. Then carb settings begin along w/ timing.

IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8207.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

IMG_8208.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the actual first start up. My comments are pretty funny.

Great job! Gotta be a nice feeling when she starts up after all that tinkering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom