Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad to see you back on the road Fel! Congrats and always a good feeling. I can't imagine being down two vehicles like that, I only live a few miles from my office and about 5 blocks from our salon so we could walk/ride to work. But at this time of year when it is in the 20s (warm) in the morning, yeah no thank you!

Okay, I was thinking your gauge was actually good and reading bad spark, but sounds like you need a new tachometer. Carbs and associated emissions crap are the biggest PITA about this era of vehicles.
We're you able to fix the leak?

It seems it’s sucking at the intake still. Unless I pull it I’m not gonna fix it * right now. I’m just shaking my head as is my friend who helped me w/ it. She runs and drives well enough, I chose to simply run it w/ the choke out a 1/4 and will do till the Nissan is fixed.
She grabbed the attention of a cute little boy in the grocery store parking lot. His mom gave me a grin as she pulled out so he musta kept talking once buckled up.

80F0FB24-4FDB-4CFE-B9FA-65AA777A60F8.jpeg

Last edited:
So drove 30+ miles one way to pick up my son tonight. On the highway she cruises along at a steady RPM of 2500 w/ a speed showing of 55ish. Mind you she’s on 35” tires. A very few hiccups at about 2300 RPMs.
So other than that and a leaky window she did well. I only pulled the choke 1/4 while slowing into off ramps and stop and go traffic.
My son was THRILLED to see it in the parking lot we meet at! “This is gonna be fun!” And monkey crawled his way up into the backseat to his car seat. Then demanded we listen to one of the 4 cds in the console. He picked the Natural Born Killers soundtrack and I enjoyed listening to Sweet Jane turned up loud. I skipped the overtly dirty and gunshot filled tracks. All in all a fairly uneventful drive so new off the top end rebuild.
Before meeting him I stopped at a Lowe’s across the way for gorilla tape to seal the window and checked for any coolant leaks and saw none. Phew!

That's good Stuff Felicity, "Badass" project name suits the owner in this case for sure.
Your a Tenacious inspiration to all who work of these old trucks cheers to you.
:beer:

Your tires grew, when did you get 35's?

It’s what was on it when I bought her. I have a set of 31’s to put on stock rims at some point when the weather isn’t in the 20’s. Hence one of the reasons she got coined Badass. Def a downsize but will be less intense... tho I do like intense. Will see how she rides and looks with the smaller tires but I'll keep the 35's on the rims tucked into the corner of my messy garage.

IMG_9453.JPG

IMG_9479.JPG

IMG_9483.JPG

The rims have too little backspacing... they’re eating into the tie rod bushings or whatever they’re called. At some point I plan on doing knuckles, new rotors, calipers, drums ect and planned on tie rods too so if I kept the 35’s I’d need to run spacers. Looked like a 1/4” would be enough to push the rims outward off the tie rods but since the tires are 12.5 they already stick out wicked.
I’m curious to see how she rolls on the 31’s.
Like I said, I won’t ditch the 35’s right off.

31's on stock rims and stock springs will provide a nice ride. Getting rid of those extended shackles would help your handling immensely.

31's on an old saggy OME 2" lift would still look good. 31's on a new, bouncy OME lift would look funny.

I love my 31s with my fresh ome 2.5 lift. It drives so much nicer with 31s than the 33s I had on there before. So much more nippy now, stuff happens when you push the skinny peddle.
3CA764F8-D406-4F23-BC78-5C6C3CCDCFEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the 31 pro tip. I like that you chopped the lower edge of your rear panels. I dig that look.

Thanks! Mine rusted out, there’s not much point to the rockers and rear quarters other than looks. Just a hollow void that collects debris.

Here’s it is getting a hair cut.
F1D9030F-A95C-477A-ADC8-443BEF190B70.jpeg
50F7AC09-20B8-4D81-8E9D-5387B75064FB.jpeg
7861847C-A889-4A92-B4C1-D757FBB5254C.jpeg

I found this tire size to diff ratio chart is a good general guide.
0632A430-4A1A-4712-A9B0-1BF4AB012607.jpeg

Saved it here. Some info saved

Keep up the good work it looks great!

Thank you! So far my rear is in good shape but I like that look so won’t have any issue chopping them if it comes to it.

Ha! And that’s the truth too, my bf would most definitely agree.

Took a spin over to the lake near us. My son thought breaking the lifted ice sheets along the edge was darn fun. He’s all about utter destruction! Then he smashed thru and went up to the top of one boot so I called it quits at that point.

3AE9E562-C226-4DCD-AF69-E6C334E22B16.jpeg

58FBA4DE-11A9-40E7-9198-DD7B8938EC36.jpeg

Last edited:
The rims have too little backspacing... they’re eating into the tie rod bushings or whatever they’re called. At some point I plan on doing knuckles, new rotors, calipers, drums ect and planned on tie rods too so if I kept the 35’s I’d need to run spacers. Looked like a 1/4” would be enough to push the rims outward off the tie rods but since the tires are 12.5 they already stick out wicked.
I’m curious to see how she rolls on the 31’s.
Like I said, I won’t ditch the 35’s right off.

I had that problem running heavy backspace 10 inch wide rims with clip on wheel weights. I just had the tire shop balance with internal stick on weights and made sure to grease stuff regularly. I was in your neck of the woods a few months ago, work trip though and on a tine crunch. Forgot you were in the northeast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom