Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the same issue with a fuel smell near the filler neck. As it turns out, the piece circled in red (see pic) was rusted out, and was leaking fuel. I replaced it and the smell went away.

manifold.PNG

There's no pressure regulator in the quarter panel, but there is the evap manifold that helps to manage fuel tank pressure. The gurgling you heard may have been fuel draining back into the tank from the evap manifold. I've spent enough time messing around in this area to know that there's sometimes a fair bit of fuel in those evap lines.

I had the same issue with a fuel smell near the filler neck. As it turns out, the piece circled in red (see pic) was rusted out, and was leaking fuel. I replaced it and the smell went away.

View attachment 2526315
There's no pressure regulator in the quarter panel, but there is the evap manifold that helps to manage fuel tank pressure. The gurgling you heard may have been fuel draining back into the tank from the evap manifold. I've spent enough time messing around in this area to know that there's sometimes a fair bit of fuel in those evap lines.
That’s prob what I was thinking of. TY!

That’s prob what I was thinking of. TY!
I’ve been thinking the same thing. My evap unit has not been touched. I’ve replaced every other rubber line except those at the fuel tank. I suspect it’s something like a rusted part or possibly the cc valve.

View attachment 2526315
*** GOT it!
Anyone have a clue why I can’t use the Toyota/lexus site on my laptop or phone now (used to) for the 60 but I can for the Taco? It takes both vins and acknowledges them but just won’t show parts for the 60.
I’d like to look that PN up unless you have it handy, @diesellibrarian or @mattressking?

Last edited:
Anyone have a clue why I can’t use the Toyota/lexus site on my laptop or phone now (used to) for the 60 but I can for the Taco? It takes both vins and acknowledges them but just won’t show parts for the 60.
I’d like to look that PN up unless you gave it handy, @diesellibrarian or @mattressking?

Did you clear your cookies? Try rebooting the browser. Is the computer plugged in? :)

I don't use the Vin feature so idk about that, I just use chassis codes and let my imagination run wild.

The evap manifold is NLA, so all you can get is the hoses and clamps new. The PN for it is 77209-60040 and 77209-60041 in case you go hunting for an NLA one.

EDIT: Now that I am up to speed. Check your lines to and from Charcoal Canister that they are routed correctly. Many swap them to bypass the check valve and avoid the over-pressurization of the gas tank. If they are swapped, use this to verify your CC is function properly as said before by someone here. If it fails, dribble carb cleaner into the check valve and cycle air and vacuum to free it. Do that a few times and it should start to function.

1608147936604.png

Did you clear your cookies? Try rebooting the browser. Is the computer plugged in? :)

I don't use the Vin feature so idk about that, I just use chassis codes and let my imagination run wild.

The evap manifold is NLA, so all you can get is the hoses and clamps new. The PN for it is 77209-60040 and 77209-60041 in case you go hunting for an NLA one.
Ah. Had to figure. I did finally get into the site w/o my vin number. So is the manifold something that can be omitted and simply doing hoses straight up and down?

EDIT: Now that I am up to speed. Check your lines to and from Charcoal Canister that they are routed correctly. Many swap them to bypass the check valve and avoid the over-pressurization of the gas tank. If they are swapped, use this to verify your CC is function properly as said before by someone here. If it fails, dribble carb cleaner into the check valve and cycle air and vacuum to free it. Do that a few times and it should start to function.

View attachment 2526401
Thanks. Def not swapped. I'll look into the above.

Ah. Had to figure. I did finally get into the site w/o my vin number. So is the manifold something that can be omitted and simply doing hoses straight up and down?

Shouldn't matter, the purpose of the block is to make a connection between the inside and outside of truck for the vent lines instead of using a bunch of grommets. Quick check of it to make sure its there is quick and you could disconnect existing lines to make sure it isn't blocked by anything. Fuel smell usually is charcoal canister related issue unless you have disconnected/broken hoses in the quarter panel at the junction.

*** GOT it!
I’d like to look that PN up unless you have it handy, @diesellibrarian or @mattressking?
I found a good used one thanks to the FJ60/62 facebook group, so I never had to look up the part #. You could definitely run a hose directly from the evap manifold to the tank, but you'd want to find a way to keep moisture (and that road salt you mentioned earlier) out of your quarter panel.

It’s my tank. ****a. Leaking over that tipped down corner (wipes away wet) and the pickup hard lines which I knew are crap are soaked as well.

24AAD67A-6B65-47F8-95DD-CA68DEBF91CD.jpeg

6FB9256B-0D0E-49F6-B4B3-DEAC75FBB805.jpeg

No more full tank fillups. Sigh.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the sending lines, fortunately I heard a handsome strapping young gentlemen sent you a good used one fairly recently, no?

Maybe it's just the sending lines, fortunately I heard a handsome strapping young gentlemen sent you a good used one fairly recently, no?
That he did! My parts angel from Florida!

You ought to be eligible for the recall replacement. I’d start looking into that asap.
Already done from what I was able to find online when I bought the truck in ‘16.

First big snow.

7081857F-3E5B-448A-9D66-161830F29743.jpeg

9161EA6B-3D9B-4110-A7CE-727D90391C25.jpeg

Hehe. 20 mins to get out of the driveway. Couldn’t go all the way around the lake cuz of a teeny yet steep high. Drove in reverse for prob at least 100’ till I got to a side street to get home. Haha! Lots of trashy mama mouth for my poor kids ears. But it was FUN!

My driveway is the last pix.

323349F1-405C-4BDD-AE0D-B947C39A35B7.jpeg

8A489D41-198F-48B7-A488-641B440EE720.jpeg

573217E6-6787-4870-88D3-FD0F0AC93360.jpeg

7E851C12-A05A-4591-806B-35F14CB60C8A.jpeg

3A03F014-AD63-43C2-88A6-D16EB2D9B56B.jpeg

I hated my BFG ATs in the snow. IMO Duratracs are the best year-round tire for places like Canada and the northern states that get serious snow.
I was eyeing those a week ago. $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom