Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Impulsive ride to Storrs, CT to see a childhood friends dome house she and her husband are building.
In AWE... 9 acres up against 200 one way and another 11+ the other. She’s a horsey girl as I teasingly call that sort of person. Her horse Reese is 18. Their daughters are 10 and 13. What an amazing experience to give them. Move in scheduled about Christmas next year. The neighbors call it the Mickey Mouse house because it’s shaped like his head. Only one in CT. The builders who erected it came all the way from Idaho w/ a whole caravan of trailers and family. Melissa and her husband are doing the rest themselves other than the floor was done by a contractor. They have zero building experience. They are such cool people.

D915BC46-0998-4341-ACE6-2DAC593C94D8.jpeg

382E94EC-53ED-4DBF-B87E-B8EB88C15F0C.jpeg

B06B1D33-0E69-4E45-B5DB-EFA84FFA2CA5.jpeg

B794B196-AD61-48B7-918B-D85BA101BFE9.jpeg

99DED996-AED3-4FF6-9E67-AE307DF74F9A.jpeg

Her blog, Dometastic

Last edited:
Funny thing, when I got out of the truck she says ‘you know my parents had one of those when we were kids..’ I’d forgotten but do recall it in the driveway! I spent lots of time at her house often staying over. We were in elementary school together. She said theirs was a 60 and the same color. :)

Impulsive ride to Storrs, CT to see a childhood friends dome house she and her husband are building.
In AWE... 9 acres up against 200 one way and another 11+ the other. She’s a horsey girl as I teasingly call that sort of person. Her horse Reese is 18. Their daughters are 10 and 13. What an amazing experience to give them. Move in scheduled about Christmas next year. The neighbors call it the Mickey Mouse house because it’s shaped like his head. Only one in CT. The builders who erected it came all the way from Idaho w/ a whole caravan of trailers and family. Melissa and her husband are doing the rest themselves other than the floor was done by a contractor. They have zero building experience. They are such cool people.

View attachment 2514375

View attachment 2514378

View attachment 2514384

View attachment 2514385

View attachment 2514386
I'd love to know more about those structures. I've got land in the middle of AR that overlook the Arkansas River, and this would be cool to then build a deck on top to chill and have a cigar.

I'd love to know more about those structures. I've got land in the middle of AR that overlook the Arkansas River, and this would be cool to then build a deck on top to chill and have a cigar.
I just added her blog link above. :)
This too, @SHIfTHEAD “Cool, yeah you can also send him to monolithic.org for info about the houses in general.”

Last edited:
Du-dah-du-dah-du... somewhere up in Mansfield, CT.

Far out beyond and above the rear cabin in a tree is a huge Bald Eagle.

1C62968C-6C83-48F5-9772-F8D399F9DC80.jpeg

I had to have help...
I drove 220 miles and when I filled truck took just shy of 16.
220 miles divided by 16 gallons = 13.75 miles per gallon.
Mostly all back roads.

Last edited:
I had to have help...
I drove 220 miles and when I filled truck took just shy of 16.
220 miles divided by 16 gallons = 13.75 miles per gallon.
Mostly all back roads.

That’s about what the window sticker claimed way back when, so I’d say you’re doing alright. With the bigger tires your odometer will read low, so if you’re not already compensating, it could get even better.

What muffler did you end up with?

That’s about what the window sticker claimed way back when, so I’d say you’re doing alright. With the bigger tires your odometer will read low, so if you’re not already compensating, it could get even better.

What muffler did you end up with?
Tires are tiny! Only 30’s. Thrush something or other.

i just had to zoom into the shadows, yeah they’re little! Used to have 33s though, maybe 20 pages ago?

MPGs are still good-
Truck came on 35x12.5’s. It was beastly. The cheap aftermarket rims were eating into the tie rod boots so I sold them. Just too darn big even tho they were fun to look at.

When I get near the fuel fill side the smell of fuel is strong. Back when I was at my friend Melissa’s dome house the truck was on a slight nose up incline. We’d been there awhile and as she and I stood near it we both could hear bubbling from the tank. My evap hard lines that run across the underside of the rear cabin were pretty rusted. I chose to ignore them cuz they are just for venting anyhow. My CC I had rebuilt awhile back w/ new charcoal and filter material. My sender is brand new. My rubber lines are in ugly shape and I’ll replace when I pull the tank to replace the pickup w/ the in better condition used one I have.

In which direction would I start to try to figure out what’s going on?

How are the gaskets on your fuel filler pipe?
if bad they can leak fuel, particularly when filling up or running a full tank, into your quarter panel. Take off your cargo panel and see if it smells strongly of gas in there. The PO on my truck had fluid/gas buildup in there made worse by the fact that the drains in the quarterpanel were blocked.
Also - use a vented gas cap which will release pressure and make venting through those gaskets less likely.

Gaskets are prob shot. Quarter inner is vented thanks to the PO at some time choosing to fix rust w/ crack filler expanding foam... hence, wide open where outer and inner should come together at the bottom seam. I kinda figure all the lines and hoses just need a full work over. The bubbling noise was interesting tho. Meant to add I had popped open the cap that day and didn’t get a loud whoosh noise tho.

My bet is that the bubbling is pressure venting through those gaskets. The old tanks used to blow out (hence the recall) because they built up too much pressure. Hence the vented cap being a good move once you sort the gaskets. The lines to the charcoal cannister (other than EPA/Smog requirement effect) would do the same thing as a vented cap.

When I get near the fuel fill side the smell of fuel is strong. Back when I was at my friend Melissa’s dome house the truck was on a slight nose up incline. We’d been there awhile and as she and I stood near it we both could hear bubbling from the tank. My evap hard lines that run across the underside of the rear cabin were pretty rusted. I chose to ignore them cuz they are just for venting anyhow. My CC I had rebuilt awhile back w/ new charcoal and filter material. My sender is brand new. My rubber lines are in ugly shape and I’ll replace when I pull the tank to replace the pickup w/ the in better condition used one I have.

In which direction would I start to try to figure out what’s going on?
Even if the canister is refilled with clean carbon it won’t work if the valve is stuck or busted. I have the same issue.

But I’ll say again, my evap lines that go across under the rear cabin are beat and most likely not tight/intact. So they’re prob basically venting as well or I’d think they might be. Is that valve avail or do I just ditch the idea to replace it since I’m not bothering w/ the lines? And if I opened my cap and didn’t get a whoosh what would the cap being vented really do additionally?

Isn’t there a pressure regulator in the quarter panel too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom