Windshield replacement recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to have to replace my windshield and I will be going through USAA so im not sure how much control I have over what shop does it. That being said does anyone have experience with anyone local? I'm thinking they'll send me to Safelite in mount pleasant.

Which vehicle?

I've had 4 windshields replaced on my '99 LX. 526 dump trucks every time...I always had Drew from glasspro in Mt. P. do it. He's very careful and knows his way around the 100. He even took time to grind out some rust and paint the surface for prevention and took pics of everything for me. Drew is now at Baker auto in West Ashley. I still went out of my way to have him do the last one on my lx and he also just did the OEM glass on our GX. Baker even has a limo service to take you back to work (usually in a brand new benz).

The way it's worked for all the insurance carriers i've had is you just go to the shop you want and let that shop submit the claim. Don't let your insurance company tell you who to go to.

I've had 4 windshields replaced on my '99 LX. 526 dump trucks every time...I always had Drew from glasspro in Mt. P. do it. He's very careful and knows his way around the 100. He even took time to grind out some rust and paint the surface for prevention and took pics of everything for me. Drew is now at Baker auto in West Ashley. I still went out of my way to have him do the last one on my lx and he also just did the OEM glass on our GX. Baker even has a limo service to take you back to work (usually in a brand new benz).

The way it's worked for all the insurance carriers i've had is you just go to the shop you want and let that shop submit the claim. Don't let your insurance company tell you who to go to.

Did insurance pay for the OEM glass? I really want OEM installed on my 97 LX450 if at all possible.

@jeeprjames

Nope. I had the installer try to put in a claim for OEM, but it was denied. Allstate, SafeCo and Progressive all denied OEM claims. That was for my '99 LX. For my '13 GX OEM glass was approved. They must look at vehicle value. The GX also has a built in rain sensor that I believe drives a requirement for OEM glass. Not sure.

@jeeprjames

Nope. I had the installer try to put in a claim for OEM, but it was denied. Allstate, SafeCo and Progressive all denied OEM claims. That was for my '99 LX. For my '13 GX OEM glass was approved. They must look at vehicle value. The GX also has a built in rain sensor that I believe drives a requirement for OEM glass. Not sure.

Damn, I wonder if they would split the cost? I will have to call USAA and find out I guess. I see you are in Charleston as well. I live in Hanahan.

Why such a push for OEM windscreen? Isnt all made from the same silicon dioxide. I can understand if has the fancy cameras on the windscreen.

There's a pretty extensive thread on the quality difference of aftermarket vs OEM: 100 series Windshield Replacement Question: OEM vs. After Market Glass

I went down a rabbit hole and pretty much found out that the only aftermarket glass I could find was made in China and was manufactured to a lower quality (per the installers I talked to). Brands like pilkington (PPG) have shut down plants and out-sourced overseas. The options I had were PGW (subsidiary of PPG i believe) and CCC.

I've seen pitting on these windshields in 6 months. And small rocks seem to total them. The low quality is the reason I believe I'm on my 4th windshield in like 5 years...

All windshield glass has a "DOT" number on it. Usually in the lower corners. This DOT number indicates the plant the windshield was manufactured:

Meh, if insurance covers it, ill keep replacing it. Have a friend that replaces glass for a living. Glass is glass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom