Who can balance my shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't want to muck up the Ramble thread anymore with my vibration issues. I pulled the front shaft in my 80 again tonight after having it in briefly for a trail run near lake Ouachita last weekend. This thing sounds like it's going to grenade at any moment. OEM U-joints are smooth as silk after replacing @ 65K miles. Shaft was rebuilt at that time also---by Joint, Cluth & Gear....who are sadly no longer in business.

Even though I have my doubts, I'm going to replace the uni's with new OEM. I'd like to get it balanced again as well---but where?

Lastly, how tight-fitting should the splines on the slip be? This one seems tight, but it's got 289K on it.

Thanks for reading this book of a post.

I guess they moved. They used to be off Bethany Rd. in Prothro Junction. My googling says they are on Broadway now. Not far from the old location.

The splines should be tight and it should expand/compress fairly easy. I've seen some that fall apart if you pick the shaft up wrong, and some you have to hammer apart. Taking it apart and greasing it will probably help a lot. Just be sure you index the ujoints properly when you put it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom