Where in NV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
How far south in NV is this club? My Parents live in Genoa, and when the wife and I go to visit, we have gone exploring around the area. Leviathan Mine Rd., Genoa Peak Loop, and other areas when we go Geocaching. It would be great to with some Nevadans on some trails. But just how close to Carson Valley area are you?

Hmmm,
Carson valley is tahoe..

SNLC is Vegas ;)

There are some excellent trails around carson and nevada in general.

BTW, I have never actually known a persona that does Geocaching.. interesting
:)

Mace said:
Hmmm,
Carson valley is tahoe..

SNLC is Vegas ;)

There are some excellent trails around carson and nevada in general.

BTW, I have never actually known a persona that does Geocaching.. interesting
:)

Thanks Mace!! Yeah, Geocaching is a ton of fun, especially in NV where you get to take dirt roads to find them!

Perhaps we can trade garlig recipies for off road trips in central Nevada :)

LOL!! For the most part, we go out to eat so I'm slim on receipes!!

Yeah - we farm in Diamond Valley and run cows in the north end of the valley and around Lee/Jiggs area.

Born and raised here - went off to college and came back - should I have my head examined or what?

haystax said:
... - should I have my head examined or what?

I love Nevada, but I hate Clark County. If I could figure a way to make a living somewhere else besides in the City, I would move.

JDay said:
I love Nevada, but I hate Clark County. If I could figure a way to make a living somewhere else besides in the City, I would move.

That is a fact John..

They are always looking for sheepherders - although that may be too tempting for you Vegas heathens :flipoff2:

I could probably find you guys some jobs doing dishes at night and pulling weeds and mowing lawns during the day if you ever get too sick of Vegas...but by then you'll have all the water and we won't have any lawns to mow :sad:

haystax said:
They are always looking for sheepherders - although that may be too tempting for you Vegas heathens :flipoff2:

I could probably find you guys some jobs doing dishes at night and pulling weeds and mowing lawns during the day if you ever get too sick of Vegas...but by then you'll have all the water and we won't have any lawns to mow :sad:
You are welcome...
You didn;t need that water anyway ;)

(I am a hydrologist for the Southern Nevada Water Authority ;) )

You're seriously a hydrologist w/ SNWA - wow, that's pretty crazy

If you're ever up around here, I wouldn't brag on those credentials, you're liable to get shot :D

The rest of you guys are more than welcome though, might as well see what little water there is in a natural setting before Mace comes up here and steals it all :flipoff2:

Just giving you a hard time, but you better bring a checkbook if you get over the hill from Ely - I'd like to talk seriously about this whole thing from your point of view sometime

Cheers :beer:

haystax said:
You're seriously a hydrologist w/ SNWA - wow, that's pretty crazy

If you're ever up around here, I wouldn't brag on those credentials, you're liable to get shot :D

The rest of you guys are more than welcome though, might as well see what little water there is in a natural setting before Mace comes up here and steals it all :flipoff2:

Just giving you a hard time, but you better bring a checkbook if you get over the hill from Ely - I'd like to talk seriously about this whole thing from your point of view sometime

Cheers :beer:
Yeah, I actually am, hence the Water Boy title that Have gotten in a couple of places...

Checkbook?? What ever would I need a chickbook for??? :D

And I would be more than willing to chat with you about what SNWA is thinking :)

Mace said:
Yeah, I actually am, hence the Water Boy title that Have gotten in a couple of places...

Checkbook?? What ever would I need a chickbook for??? :D

And I would be more than willing to chat with you about what SNWA is thinking :)

Waterboy - good one

I would like to hear some realistic goals of the SNWA - all I hear up here is that they want everything and won't stop until they get it. Ranch real estate prices are stupid because of potential water sales in the future. 250,000 acre Wincup ranch didn't sell the other day - holding out for at least $100 million, sold for $7million to current owners in mid '80s - quite a jump

For the few families that have been around on these ranches for generations, money isn't everything and water is their life - lots of animosity towards Vegas right now. Hasn't reached us yet, we've got at least one mountain in the way but interbasin flows and such for aquifer recharge have us pretty scared that we could lose out when the water starts flowing south.

Thanks for your replies - :beer:

haystax said:
Waterboy - good one

I would like to hear some realistic goals of the SNWA - all I hear up here is that they want everything and won't stop until they get it. Ranch real estate prices are stupid because of potential water sales in the future. 250,000 acre Wincup ranch didn't sell the other day - holding out for at least $100 million, sold for $7million to current owners in mid '80s - quite a jump

For the few families that have been around on these ranches for generations, money isn't everything and water is their life - lots of animosity towards Vegas right now. Hasn't reached us yet, we've got at least one mountain in the way but interbasin flows and such for aquifer recharge have us pretty scared that we could lose out when the water starts flowing south.

Thanks for your replies - :beer:
As far as properties going up because of water right sales, thatis speculation and a bad idea.
people getting greedy is what causes BIG issues in these things.

Water in Nevada is a Bizarre thing. We work heavily with the Division of water resources to make sure that we will not have a big infulence on farms/springs/streams. That is one fo the reasons that we are spending 10 million on an exploratory drilling program. to make dam sure that we won't cause undue harm. It is not jsut the farmers that are worried. The sierra club and other environmental agencies are dead set against us without any data to validate their claims.

Right now we are trying to get the studies approved and the scientific data collected to be able to prove that we can pump these valleys without undue stress to the aquifer.

Heck, right now the Las Vegas Valley has the largest Artificial recharge program in the world. We recharge Colorado river water in to the ground to reduce the effects of the 6000 odd wells that rely on this basins groundwater.

Interbasin flow is heavily based on how the researcher views the data. The northern areas have not had enough data collected in them to difinitivly say "the water goes this way". However we know for a fact that by pumping a certain basin we can affect the surrounding flow paths..

there is a big concern that if Vidler (a canadian water prospector) and the LVVWD pump their water rights near Indian Springs, the flow path coming out from the test (that possibly contains high amounts of radiation) will be redirected to armagossa valley and Death valley. That is something that we DO NOT want to happen.

I am actually part of a Groundwater Protection Task force that meets quaterly. For the most part it is a bunch of Groundwater modelers that all like each other but almost always disagree on how to model a system..

It is actually realyl interesting and a lot of fun.

I can tell you that the SNWA is not here to rape and pillage the northern counties ;)
If they do, then you are more than welcome to come on down and kick my ass :flipoff2:

I know there is a push to get some groundwater studies done in our immediate area starting this summer - there really is no data that I know of

Test program sounds good, and this may be the first year in 10 that we get any local basin recharge due to the amazing amount of spring and winter moisture + no one irrigating for the last 2 months...works out to a dual advantage...

I remember the Vidler filings a couple years ago, hell probably ten years ago now - the speculators are what really has everyone pissed, lots of guys drying up ranches just begging to sell out and turn a quick buck.

Just watched the "Caddilac Deser" PBS documentary the other night - you've probably seen it before, pretty amazing what LA was able to do back then - would like to think that couldn't happen again but who knows, Vegas is the fastest growing city in the nation...

So I guess I'll go ahead and cross your name of my "People Left to Kill" list for now :D

Let me know if you're ever up this way, I'll buy you a beer or three :beer:

Craig

I am always happy to be off that list ;)

Same if you make it down here BTW :D

offroadkid said:
How far south in NV is this club? My Parents live in Genoa, and when the wife and I go to visit, we have gone exploring around the area. Leviathan Mine Rd., Genoa Peak Loop, and other areas when we go Geocaching. It would be great to with some Nevadans on some trails. But just how close to Carson Valley area are you?
You might want to check out Battle Born Cruisers , Nevada Geocaching Association, and Great Basin Eastern Sierra Geocachers .
BBCNN does a couple of trips down by carson every year, usually Barney Riely and Deer Valley. Dates are posted on the site a month or so in advance. GBES holds an anual geocaching rally which combines offroading and geocaching. NGA is just a fun place to hang out.

haystax said:
Yeah - we farm in Diamond Valley and run cows in the north end of the valley and around Lee/Jiggs area.

Born and raised here - went off to college and came back - should I have my head examined or what?
I think your head is okay. I'd love to live out there. We were over by Ely around Memorial day, camped by Belmont. Excellent area for mild four wheeling. I was in my GMC so stayed on the main roads but there were a few canyons that looked promising. Anyway I got so much mud on my truck the wheels were out of balance. The Eureka Sheriff department was kind enough to let my use their hose to clean out the wheels. The rest of the way home I kept wondering why I was going back.
Darn that old mortage payment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom