What would you do? Just got my first ever FJ40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Just bought my first ever Toyota. It's a 1975 and makes me happy every time I see it. I wanted to get an idea of anything you all recommend in terms of maintenance/upgrades that are really useful/crucial. I plan on Holley EFI swapping, cutting that snorkel length and fixing manifold gasket leaks first!

Appreciate any input!

Only let me upload 5 pictures, here's the imgur album link:
More photos

IMG_3123.JPEG

IMG_3108.JPEG

IMG_3132.JPEG

IMG_3111.JPEG

IMG_3151.JPEG

Hey everyone,

Just bought my first ever Toyota. It's a 1975 and makes me happy every time I see it. I wanted to get an idea of anything you all recommend in terms of maintenance/upgrades that are really useful/crucial. I plan on Holley EFI swapping, cutting that snorkel length and fixing manifold gasket leaks first!

Appreciate any input!

Only let me upload 5 pictures, here's the imgur album link:
More photos

View attachment 3255125

View attachment 3255126

View attachment 3255127

View attachment 3255128

View attachment 3255129
looks in good shape! i also would drive it. maybe get an OEM carb and air cleaner assy.:cheers:

Drive It is what I'd do!

Maybe down the road some new suspension to improve the ride, those springs look a little tired
For a spring over, you want them relatively flat. Keeps the center of gravity lower and better ride.

Welcome to Mud!

Consider upgrading your knuckle steering arms to move the tie rod above the springs. Especially if you plan to wheel on rock and boulder infested trails.

Looks pretty good. Immediately, something to hold down the battery. Driving and stopping well. Base line it, check or change fluids, check brakes and such. Look for upper and lower dash pads. Most importantly have fun. I'd be curious to see how the steering links are from the box to the knuckles.

Looks like defrost vents are blocked off🤔

Definitely drive it and get to know it before any major upgrades/changes.

What distributor is that? (Cant tell from the photos)
I would recommend verifying the make/model of the disty to make sure its correct for a 2F.
Some folks buy cruisers that have a disty for a chevy I-6 engine, the drive gear on the disty isnt *exactly" the same and the disty can get pushed up and disengage from the oil pump, which completely genades the engine!

I bought mine with an incorrect disty and was lucky that nothing was damaged. Swapped it out for an electronic trollhole disty.

Nice looking ride! If you're talking about the length of the snorkel, leave the exterior parts alone and only shorten what is under the hood. A little cleaning is all that I would do other than address maintenance items.

Very nice find!! I’d like more info on that snorkel setup! What’s leaking?

One post and :poof:

I hope the SOA didn’t unload on a street corner.

I totally forgot I posted here. I've been insanely busy with work, but I've been driving it locally here in CT. Enjoying it and finally spent some money and have some concerns now!

I just ordered:
Gobi Ranger Roof Rack
4Plus Tire & Cooler Carrier
Mosely Motors Sniper EFI Kit

Kept having issues starting, realized that the starter was pretty old. I ended up picking up a GR as recommended by a bunch of people. Starts right up every time!

I have an exhaust leak near the intake, there's a lot of gasket sealer there my guess is something is warped, but I may upgrade to the ceramic headers from Man-A-Fre, still deciding, $1,100 for them with the Y-pipe.

I went off road a bit and got stuck, I ended up getting out, but I realized that I cannot get into 4L. It just will not budge. Gets from 2H, 4H and N easily, not sure what the issue is or how to start debugging it.
Thought my e-brake didn't work, I didn't realize that its not actually attached to the shoes its a gear/transfer case brake, so I had to adjust the knob CCW and it doesn't move now which is very nice, because trying to heel/toe with the brake pedal a mile above the throttle pedal was a bit difficult on hills.

Still learning and finally got the time to do more. Sorry for the super late update, but I'm back at it.

I have to run through all the fluids still, I've never dealt with transfer cases or diff fluids so time to research and get back to work.

Consider upgrading your knuckle steering arms to move the tie rod above the springs. Especially if you plan to wheel on rock and boulder infested trails.
Not planning on going on any crazy trails right now, just getting into the overland/off-road scene, but I will take a look at upgrading the steering arms.

Is this truck in or around the NYC area? Looks like a truck a buddy once owned for a time … he changes trucks as much as most people change underwear… he’s owned over 250 tlcs
Bought it in MA, now lives in CT.

Tune up and fluid change on everything. Address any weird noises then drive it and have fun. Then power steering if it doesn’t have it and high steer while you’re in there. You’ll probably want a track bar at some point if you don’t drive like a granny.
Power steering works great, not sure what a track bar is, is it for articulation like pan hard bar for 4 links?

What distributor is that? (Cant tell from the photos)
I would recommend verifying the make/model of the disty to make sure its correct for a 2F.
Some folks buy cruisers that have a disty for a chevy I-6 engine, the drive gear on the disty isnt *exactly" the same and the disty can get pushed up and disengage from the oil pump, which completely genades the engine!

I bought mine with an incorrect disty and was lucky that nothing was damaged. Swapped it out for an electronic trollhole disty.
Some HEI, I've heard this happen before, someone on FB told me about their locking experience with their distributor not engaging correctly. Previous owner had driven around with this distributor for a while I am assuming its okay but I will have to do a bit more research.

Nice looking ride! If you're talking about the length of the snorkel, leave the exterior parts alone and only shorten what is under the hood. A little cleaning is all that I would do other than address maintenance items.
Just the inside, the tubing is crazy. Outside is perfect length. TLC is the name of the game!

Very nice find!! I’d like more info on that snorkel setup! What’s leaking?
Exhaust leak, I think something is warped, theres a lot of gasket sealer.

One post and :poof:

I hope the SOA didn’t unload on a street corner.
I'm alive!

I have to run through all the fluids still, I've never dealt with transfer cases or diff fluids so time to research and get back to work.
Take the fill plug out FIRST. Be ready for some to leak from the transmission, there is a seal between it and the transfer case that commonly leaks to overfill the transmission.

Then the drain. 22 or 24 mm on the bottom of the axle, do a search for pictures of the tranny and transmission.

Don't skimp on the pump, once your under the truck pumping gear oil an extra couple dollars for a reliable pump that fits the bottle top and has a clip to hold it in the fill hole will be worth it.

After fluids and filter changes, the First thing I did was to load up the grease gun and work my way around the many grease nipples on the steering and transmission.
Number them with a white pen to help you catch them all next time.

After that I'd look at changing all the fuses and adding a couple of packs into the glove box along with a small meter.

Inspecting and changing the soft lines - fuel, clutch, brake would be next.

I would paint that bezel white first thing. Then I’d sit back and admire the rig while I made a list of the recommendations above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom