What it Cost to Own an 80 Series: 11 months and 20,000 Miles In (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lighten up Francis.

Dude - full best chuckle of the day :rofl:

IDK / recall where it’s from like IDK / recall ‘good nite Irene!’ sources —

— but both are funny in the exact right moment.

Thx for the best laugh of my day, brother. For reals. :rofl:👍:rofl:

I do my best.......

That's from Stripes.

so what the o.p. Is highlighting points to basically skipping all the headaches and simply nutting up and buying a sub $30k 200 series and youd be ahead???
Sub $30K 200 Series is going to be 100K miles+ Maybe 150-200K, depending on how sub $30K you go.

So, your starting with a 10 year [or more] newer truck, but the initial investment is higher [Double? Triple?], and you may still need to clean up neglected maintenance. 100-200K miles can be a lot of neglected maintenance.

Also, 200s may be more expensive to maintain? Just guessing on that -- seems like it has more stuff that can go wonky.

Seems like the same rat-wheel -- maybe just bigger.

And therin lies the question:

if you are heading into the bush and want to come back.......do u....

1.go with a 10-15yr newer 200 with 150k miles /dealer serviced all oem parts.?
Or
2. 25year old 80 with @NLXTACY level OCD maintenence schedule and a bolt on turbo kit ?

who is more likely to :

-make it back?
-make it back faster?
- make it back without overheating ? :)

Last edited:
And therin lies the question:

if you are heading into the bush and want to come back.......do u....

1.go with a 10-15yr newer 200 with 150k miles /dealer serviced all oem parts.?
Or
2. 25year old 80 with @NLXTACY level OCD maintenence schedule and a bolt on turbo kit ?

who is more likely to :

-make it back?
-make it back faster?
- make it back without overheating ? :)

I am struggling with this question myself, currently. I have thing for the 80, but you make a compelling case for the smart move being a jump to the 200.

Also, that chicken thing is disturbing.

a few months ago I posted on a post about the repairs on an 80 series needed to reach 200,000 miles and about 3 people said that's not normal and most 80 series didn't need those kinds of repairs. *rolls* eyes. they do.

This is what may need to be done to get an fzj80 to 200,000 miles. This is what I have done to my 1997 FZJ80

to reach 200,000 miles for an fzj80 this is what would have needed to be done:
Distributor cap
rotor
cables
front and rear brakes- pads and rotors maybe calipers, perhaps brake master cylinder
02 sensors
plugs
air filter
*address the phh or do a bypass
shocks (not a lift, just shocks about 2 times)
head cover gasket (not head gasket, just cover gasket) and seals
radiator and cap
coolant flush
I forget the name but the valve by the firewall that connects to the various hoses
02 sensors maybe exhaust depending
Power Steering Pump Rebuild
Power Steering Hoses
Alternator
Starter (possibly)
A/C Compressor/Dryer (possibly)
Rear heater lines (possibly)
Vacuum Hoses and other hoses
Tires (possibly)
Charcoal Canister
Updating sound/ speakers, headunit, amp (?)
Crankshaft Seal
Possibly Rear Main Seal
Brakes- May be pads/rotors/calipers depending what has or has not been done.

I would somehwat disagree with this. I purchased my 80 from the original owner at 199k miles. It was occasionally serviced during its life, but mostly just oil changes and tires. It was never driven off road and lived its life in California. Basically, EVERYTHING was original: cooling system never touched, axles never rebuilt, all original hoses, original PS pump, charcoal canister, seals, wires, exhaust, etc.. I'm not gonna lie that I did a ton of baseline maintanace in "my" frist 10k miles (almost everything on that list), but these truck don't seem to mind being extremeley neglected.

this might be heresy, but you could get a used 4runner and put several thousand in parts/PM into it before hitting 30k. and you'll still have beer money left at the end.

me? ill just risk it with the 80 and hope I'm within walking distance to a signal when she goes.

I had/have a 97-40th. I got it about 15 years ago with 90K, was up to about 325K. I took it in for scheduled maintenance, or any time it needed something. Apart from oil/tune-ups/brakes/tires/batteries, it seemed to require very little.

I didn't even realize I was negligent owner until I found ih8mud.com

I had/have a 97-40th. I got it about 15 years ago with 90K, was up to about 325K. I took it in for scheduled maintenance, or any time it needed something. Apart from oil/tune-ups/brakes/tires/batteries, it seemed to require very little.

I didn't even realize I was negligent owner until I found ih8mud.com
While I am most certainly one of them, the majority here are way overly OCD about their trucks and it is mostly unnecessary. How many trucks are running around with well over 300k with an owner who just has no idea and only addresses small things as they come up? I'd wager a very large portion of them.

I was aiming to be light hearted about ih8mud, but I really thought I was a good steward, as I took it to a well regarded Toyota-centric repair place, and really felt like I was treating her well, giving her whatever she needed.

Then, I found this site, and I was like, "I'm supposed to be doing what?"

I could have bought a 100 series, newer 4 runner, etc. etc.... when I bought my 80 in 2015. Not for the same price mind you, but in any case I always wanted an 80 and knew "second best" wouldn't suffice.

I guess the point is that you'll always look back and wish you went with the one you wanted, and that one is probably going to the 80. Maintenance costs are what they are, which isn't really that much in a decent 80 if you can wrench yourself.

I just past 100k of ownership on mine. I can't even imagine what I spent on pm. I have a massive folder of receipts. But once baseline was done they are not to bad. I still DD and drive cross country about 20k a year on it. "NO RAGRETS"

<snip> but these truck don't seem to mind being extremeley neglected.

True....right up to the point of catastrophic failure. One of the 80's major strengths is also a major weakness. They do not complain until they are on their death-beds.

Low and slow with the gangsta lean to the left is the only way to roll in an 80 series.
I could have bought a 100 series, newer 4 runner, etc. etc.... when I bought my 80 in 2015. Not for the same price mind you, but in any case I always wanted an 80 and knew "second best" wouldn't suffice.

I guess the point is that you'll always look back and wish you went with the one you wanted, and that one is probably going to the 80. Maintenance costs are what they are, which isn't really that much in a decent 80 if you can wrench yourself.

agreed. I bought the 80 because I've wanted one since they were made. I also bought it to learn/improve my wrenching skills. I took a vow to myself that I would never pay anyone to do any work on it and so far I've kept my word.

I would somehwat disagree with this. I purchased my 80 from the original owner at 199k miles. It was occasionally serviced during its life, but mostly just oil changes and tires. It was never driven off road and lived its life in California. Basically, EVERYTHING was original: cooling system never touched, axles never rebuilt, all original hoses, original PS pump, charcoal canister, seals, wires, exhaust, etc.. I'm not gonna lie that I did a ton of baseline maintanace in "my" frist 10k miles (almost everything on that list), but these truck don't seem to mind being extremeley neglected.

Sorry, are you agreeing or disagreeing with this? Because at first you disagreed and then you wrote you did most of the items on the list.
What I am saying is that to get an 80 or any land cruiser to 200,000 miles which is not a small amount of mileage things need to get dealt and done with. I never didn't say that these are not long lasting vehicles designed, made and with parts that will outlast most others. But these things are maintenance and wear and tear items. Also, we are on a forum called IH8MUD so most of us are using their 80s for 4x4/overland/adventure. I happen to also daily drive mine alongside with 4x4; which may precipitate the needs for maintenance, but this to me, is the reality of getting a 23 year old vehicle to 200,000 miles. UNLESS the previous owner garaged it, didn't offraod it and preserved as per PM standards on ih8mud; and in this case unless the owner really likes you, you'll be paying the value of the vehicles + the owner's efforts and maintenance costs as everyone should.

Lighten up Francis. I’m 52 and still riding high in the saddle everyday and I’ll quit when my body says quit. Don’t sell yourself short. No puns intended.

There are two types of people in this world ... those that read this in Sgt Hulka's voice and those that will now Google Sgt. Hulka.

This is what may need to be done to get an fzj80 to 200,000 miles. This is w
to reach 200,000 miles for an fzj80 this is what would have needed to be done:
Distributor cap
rotor
cables
front and rear brakes- pads and rotors maybe calipers, perhaps brake master cylinder
02 sensors
plugs
air filter
*address the phh or do a bypass
shocks (not a lift, just shocks about 2 times)
head cover gasket (not head gasket, just cover gasket) and seals
radiator and cap
coolant flush
I forget the name but the valve by the firewall that connects to the various hoses
02 sensors maybe exhaust depending
Power Steering Pump Rebuild
Power Steering Hoses
Alternator
Starter (possibly)
A/C Compressor/Dryer (possibly)
Rear heater lines (possibly)
Vacuum Hoses and other hoses
Tires (possibly)
Charcoal Canister
Updating sound/ speakers, headunit, amp (?)
Crankshaft Seal
Possibly Rear Main Seal

Brakes- May be pads/rotors/calipers depending what has or has not been done.

Having done pretty much all of this list and more over the past 18 months or so on my cammo truck, I can say that this is a popular and pricey list. However, I've had my LX450 since 1999 and 25K miles on it and now it has 272k on it and the highlighted things have not been done. That truck has never been off-road. It had the birfs done once and the starter went bad once, other than that there have been no breakdowns. I just feed it oil constantly and it just keeps running. It's way tired now, but would probably make it to 300k and beyond if I needed it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom