What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a DUI Distributor. Had been running pertronix, but now after my 3rd igniter failed and leaving me stranded on the Million Dollar Hwy at SAS this year 🤬🤬🤬, it was time to move in a different direction. I know there are 2 camps on whether to go the DUI or newer version Toyota big cap electronic distributor, but for now I chose the DUI and very happy with its performance so far, The 2F (mosley build) doesn’t even crank a full turn before it starts and it now idles like a top. I don’t notice much difference in acceleration, but I haven’t done much fine tuning yet other than setting the timing (it seemed to run the best at around 11-12deg before TDC…. Basically the BB was just out of site in the window)

Installation was super easy although it did take me awhile since it was my first install of a dui and I didn’t want to mess something up. I did install a relay as recommended by DUI for direct 12v power from the battery to the distributor and connected the secondary Tach terminal on the distributor to the Sniper harness.

So far so good and now just hope it’s more reliable than the pertronix. 🤞

Our DUI ignition coil failed on the million dollar highway this year. 2nd time it has failed in the 76 FJ40. Going back to OEM. Hope your luck is better than mine.

OEM electronic. Not points.

I love the "big cap" FJ60 distributor in my 40, but parts to rebuild them (especially the two-port vacuum advancer on the 60 dizzys) are becoming unobtanium. Don't know what I will do when my advancer wears out, but I had considered a DUI. 😬
 
Unpopular opinion….I used this cheap ignition coil in my ‘64 bc my other one had a crack in it and I wanted something quick and it has been almost two years…no issues.

 
Our DUI ignition coil failed on the million dollar highway this year. 2nd time it has failed in the 76 FJ40. Going back to OEM. Hope your luck is better than mine.

Ive been reading a lot of threads where the DUI distributor control modules have been failing. I wonder if it's the quality of parts dui uses along with the ones folks have been buying to replace them.
 
Do you have a link for that box? I need a place to store my cellphone while driving. Thx...
I like that solution as well. It looks a lot like this one on Scamazon:

IMG_5305.webp


 
Ive been reading a lot of threads where the DUI distributor control modules have been failing. I wonder if it's the quality of parts dui uses along with the ones folks have been buying to replace them.
I was thinking the same thing because this type of distributor was used in a lot of GM cars and I dont hear of then failing all that often… so wonder if just buying an oem GM coil module for the DUI would increase the reliability.

I also read in a thread when I was deciding whether to go with the DUI where someone was attributing/theorizing the premature failures to not having installed the solenoid and direct voltage between the battery/DUI coil. I was hoping to attach the link to that thread (it was not on Mud), but I can't track it down.
 
I love the "big cap" FJ60 distributor in my 40, but parts to rebuild them (especially the two-port vacuum advancer on the 60 dizzys) are becoming unobtanium. Don't know what I will do when my advancer wears out, but I had considered a DUI. 😬
Do you need both ports on your advancer? I only needed one so I got a single port advancer from @4Cruisers...

20220114_093045 - Copy.webp


20220114_115643 - Copy.webp
 
Do you need both ports on your advancer? I only needed one so I got a single port advancer from @4Cruisers...

It's nice to have both ports, as the second one is for the High Altitude Compensation system, and I still drive my 40 to/up in the mountains of Colorado and Utah. The HAC helps quite a bit at elevation.

IMG_0864.webp


But when it goes, I guess I'll have to do without.
 
When I had a DUI, I had ordered replacement parts for most of it for fear of it becoming a problem. Once I swapped the Hyperspark, I sold the $340.00 worth of parts and the DUI for a total profit of ( -$330.00… ) oh well
 
Finally got around to installing the steering wheel wrap. Used the baseball stitch. Once I got the hang of it, it went pretty smoothly. I would suggest getting a pick to help tighten the threads as you go along. I picked up a 4 piece pick set at Harbor Freight.

Also installed a set of hood struts. My pop rivet gun wasn't big enough for the pop rivets they give you so I used small nuts/bolts. Which worked out better. Got one side installed and when I opened the hood it was only at a 30* angle. Realized I had installed one of the brackets upside down. Fixed that then when trying to shut the hood, the strut was hitting the cross support brace on the passenger side near the firewall. Took me a minute then realized I had installed that bracket upside down also. Once I figured those out the drivers side was easy, its the exact same setup. I only screwed up one of those.


IMG_1971.webp
IMG_1972.webp
IMG_1973.webp
 
We’ve got working lights now. Fixed the previous owners wiring labels with the help of the manual. Turn signal would light up but not blink, while the hazards worked. Turned out to be a bulb issue. The new tail lights shipped with the same bulb for reverse and turn signals and the turn signal bulbs didn’t draw enough current. Ended up using these


IMG_8639.webp


Also removed all of the splicing for the unfinished trailer harness.
 
Finally got around to installing the steering wheel wrap. Used the baseball stitch. Once I got the hang of it, it went pretty smoothly. I would suggest getting a pick to help tighten the threads as you go along. I picked up a 4 piece pick set at Harbor Freight.

View attachment 4208680View attachment 4208681
Wheel wrap looks great. I’ve been considering doing this. Which wrap did you end up using?
 
Finally got around to installing the steering wheel wrap. Used the baseball stitch. Once I got the hang of it, it went pretty smoothly. I would suggest getting a pick to help tighten the threads as you go along. I picked up a 4 piece pick set at Harbor Freight.

Also installed a set of hood struts. My pop rivet gun wasn't big enough for the pop rivets they give you so I used small nuts/bolts. Which worked out better. Got one side installed and when I opened the hood it was only at a 30* angle. Realized I had installed one of the brackets upside down. Fixed that then when trying to shut the hood, the strut was hitting the cross support brace on the passenger side near the firewall. Took me a minute then realized I had installed that bracket upside down also. Once I figured those out the drivers side was easy, its the exact same setup. I only screwed up one of those.


View attachment 4208680View attachment 4208681View attachment 4208682
What size nuts/ bolts did you use? I have a set of these but (irrationally) hate rivets.
 
Our DUI ignition coil failed on the million dollar highway this year. 2nd time it has failed in the 76 FJ40. Going back to OEM. Hope your luck is better than mine.
My DUI coil failed at about 30 Mikes after install. Summit Racing replaced it quickly no questions asked, Although I included a PDF of the email between my mechanic and me where he told me it was a faulty coil.
 
Restarted my knob factory.
Nothing to offer yet…
Also began the rebuild of my 77 front axle!
 
Back
Top Bottom