What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pfft. Someone has too much money.:flipoff2: Where is the build thread?
Actually, I sold my Ram Rebel with extensive build on it so I can continue to support my addiction: I knew that I would be spending a lot of money on this project after lurking around the forum for a while first...lol.




Funny you should ask as I am just starting to pull together my various photos and docs for a build thread. Hope to start posting soon!
 
Last edited:
Another day, another 1FZ build….



View attachment 4215512
Do you know the torque specs on the oil pump hardware? Seems like everyone has varying opinions on those I’d assume around 8-10nm but I’d love to hear what you have to say. I was doing a reseal of the pump on a 2.7 L4 on a 4 runner ( similar set up ) and the interwebs and forum guys were all over the place.
 
Do you know the torque specs on the oil pump hardware? Seems like everyone has varying opinions on those I’d assume around 8-10nm but I’d love to hear what you have to say. I was doing a reseal of the pump on a 2.7 L4 on a 4 runner ( similar set up ) and the interwebs and forum guys were all over the place.
It’s not in the FSM ?
 
It’s not in the FSM ?
I tried to find it on Mitchell, alldata and identifix to no avail. I didn’t have a 80 series or 4Runner FSM handy at the time so interwebz it was. I guess I could check my 96 LC FSM but it’s at the shop and some people have rain man like tizzy and can pull torque specs out of thin air. I try to memorize as much as possible but I’m no hero and still need to look things up occasionally. Just thought someone would know off the top of their head.
 
I tried to find it on Mitchell, alldata and identifix to no avail. I didn’t have a 80 series or 4Runner FSM handy at the time so interwebz it was. I guess I could check my 96 LC FSM but it’s at the shop and some people have rain man like tizzy and can pull torque specs out of thin air. I try to memorize as much as possible but I’m no hero and still need to look things up occasionally. Just thought someone would know off the top of their head.
Free copies of the factory service manual are available in the resource section for download
 
Free copies of the factory service manual are available in the resource section for download
Ya I have a hard copy, it’s not so easy to navigate the FSM when using a phone in the resource section. But also if someone knows off the top of their head that’s quicker than anything else… shoot if someone said I just go by feel I’d take that. All torque specs are just to avoid pulling threads and stretching bolts or in head bolts case they want you to stretch threads. Also if you don’t know it’s cool to just move along or maybe out of morbid curiosity look it up to answer someone’s question I just figured they original post had the oil pump resealed and witness marked so I assume he prob knew intimately what those specs were.
 
Do you know the torque specs on the oil pump hardware? Seems like everyone has varying opinions on those I’d assume around 8-10nm but I’d love to hear what you have to say. I was doing a reseal of the pump on a 2.7 L4 on a 4 runner ( similar set up ) and the interwebs and forum guys were all over the place.
I'm in the FSM right now. What hardware?
 
Ya I have a hard copy, it’s not so easy to navigate the FSM when using a phone in the resource section. But also if someone knows off the top of their head that’s quicker than anything else… shoot if someone said I just go by feel I’d take that. All torque specs are just to avoid pulling threads and stretching bolts or in head bolts case they want you to stretch threads. Also if you don’t know it’s cool to just move along or maybe out of morbid curiosity look it up to answer someone’s question I just figured they original post had the oil pump resealed and witness marked so I assume he prob knew intimately what those specs were.
Dude I have been on the board a long time and pretty helpful!!
I’m not at home right now or I would have looked it up.
It’s a basic question and with all your years of experience It would be easy to look up the torque specification for that specific screw
 
I'm in the FSM right now. What hardware?
Oil pump cover

IMG_4153.webp
 
I don't see an oil pump cover. Never did this job, so the closest I can determine is this - no torque spec.

9. INSTALL TIMING CHAIN COVER
(a) Remove any old packing (FIPG) material and be careful
not to drop any oil on the contact surfaces of the timing
chain cover and cylinder block.
Using a razor blade and gasket scraper, remove all
the old packing (FIPG) material from the gasket surfaces
and sealing grooves.
Thoroughly clean all components to remove all the
loose material.
Using a non−residue solvent, clean both sealing
surfaces.
(b) Apply seal packing to the timing chain cover as shown in
the illustration.
Seal packing: Part No. 08826−00080 or equivalent
Install a nozzle that has been cut to a 2 − 3 mm (0.08
− 0.12 in.) opening.
HINT:
Avoid applying an excessive amount to the surface.
Parts must be assembled within 5 minutes of application.
Otherwise the material must be removed
and reapplied.
Immediately remove nozzle from the tube and reinstall
cap.
(c) Place 2 new O−rings in position on the timing chain cover.
(d) Engage the gear of the oil pump drive rotor with the gear
of the oil pump drive gear, and install the oil pump.
(e) Install the oil pump and drive belt adjusting bar with the
9 bolts and 2 nuts.
Torque: 21 N·m (210 kgf·cm, 15 ft·lbf)
HINT:
Each bolt length is indicated in the illustration.
Bolt A: 30 mm (1.18 in.)
Bolt B: 50 mm (1.97 in.)
Bolt C: 60 mm (2.38 in.)
(f) Remove the cord from the chain.
 
Torque spec for the front oil pump cover IJS screws is 8 ft-lbs.

See link to OTRAMM's repair video for a step-by-step guide:

Kinda wonder if that was a EWAG ( educated wild ass guess ) torque spec cause as we all know yota does everything by newton meters, id assume whatever spec a M5 bolt to fasten anything else would be what they recommend. Not saying OTRAMM isn’t correct. Guess this may just be chalked upto one of those Toyota mysteries. It is a odd fastener to say the least the 3RZ has a similar oil pump plate with the same hardware and I wasn’t able to find a torque spec for those think I did 10nm it felt right on the old feel scale.
 
Torque spec for the front oil pump cover IJS screws is 8 ft-lbs.

See link to OTRAMM's repair video for a step-by-step guide:

At the 36 minute states Otramm state that he's never seen a torque spec on these screws and he does it by feel. And that how I did mine ;)
It also seem that it would be in Inch pound not foot pounds for that size screw.

When I was doing work on my 6.7 Power stroke all the small fasteners were inch pounds
 
1000032728.webp

Button everything up after installing the engine, filled the fluids, found the ignition timing way off, reinstalled the distributor, fired her up and went for a drive. Didn't explode. That ends the 6 months of wrenching to her fixed up. I'm tired and relieved. I can finally wash my greasy work pants.
 
View attachment 4216292
Button everything up after installing the engine, filled the fluids, found the ignition timing way off, reinstalled the distributor, fired her up and went for a drive. Didn't explode. That ends the 6 months of wrenching to her fixed up. I'm tired and relieved. I can finally wash my greasy work pants.
Love the JDM (red) hazard button
 
Back
Top Bottom