What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had some rust issues on the body that the previous owner had hid pretty well, but basically repaired along the window seam of lift gate, spoiler mounting holes, some crappy repair work that needed to be redone on both front fenders, and some rust within the passenger side rear wheel well. But luckily, when I gutted the interior, not a speck of rust anywhere on the tub and only superficial rust on the frame and axles, etc. that got cleaned up once I ice blasted and coated the undercarriage.

For the paint, i went with a 2-stage custom burnt orange metallic. The materials (primer, paint, clear coat and other materials and supplies) cost just under $4K. The labor including removing the doors, cutting the hood, masking, mitgating some rust issues, sanding and priming, painting, clear coating, reassembly, and some other minor work (including painting the wheel trim rings) added another $8K. So total paint job was ~$12K.
Looks fantastic. I’d love to see more pics. That seems like a fair price for good work.
 
View attachment 4216292
Button everything up after installing the engine, filled the fluids, found the ignition timing way off, reinstalled the distributor, fired her up and went for a drive. Didn't explode. That ends the 6 months of wrenching to her fixed up. I'm tired and relieved. I can finally wash my greasy work pants.
Nice steering wheel wrap
 
Sneaking around the woods and getting muddy.

I hate mud

20260922_102507.webp
20260922_092540.webp
20260922_095908.webp
 
Looks fantastic. I’d love to see more pics. That seems like a fair price for good work.
Thanks. While I wanted a custom looking rig, I also wanted a color that looked "natural" being on a Land Cruiser 80 Series so going with an earthy color was high on my list.

I also didn't want to pay for showroom quality since I will be adding my own pinstriping when off-roading, but wanted to still look good enough for the occasional auto shows that I like going to. So overall, I am very happy with the results and the paint shop has been great to work with too.

Here are a few more for you!





Hood vent detail:


Rear quarter view:


Showing door jambs and color tie-in with redone interior:
 
Last edited:
Thanks. While I wanted a custom looking rig, I also wanted a color that looked "natural" being on a Land Cruiser 80 Series so going with an earthy color was high on my list.

I also didn't want to pay for showroom quality since I will be adding my own pinstriping when off-roading, but wanted to still look good enpugh for the occasional auto shows that I like going to. So overall, I am very happy with the results and the paint shop has been great to work with too.

Here are a few more for you!





Hood vent detail:


Rear quarter view:


Showing door jambs and color tie-in with redone interior:
If I could afford repainting mine, this would be the color. Fantastic job 🔥 🔥 🤩

Are those the teq customs headlights? Do you like them?
 
First real trip since the rebuild and 5 speed! Ran great, the motor feels healthy and pulls really well. Installed an AFR gauge as well prior to the trip and ran exactly how it should under boost. Have some kinks to work out, (primarily gear oil smell from the transmission tunnel when its hot, and the brake booster crapped the bed in Moab (one the last orignal parts that is still under the hood). But got it home and very happy overall.

View attachment 4216817

View attachment 4216818

View attachment 4216819

View attachment 4216820

View attachment 4216822
Hey, can i get a close up of where the 1UP is mounted to your swing out?
 
Thanks. While I wanted a custom looking rig, I also wanted a color that looked "natural" being on a Land Cruiser 80 Series so going with an earthy color was high on my list.

I also didn't want to pay for showroom quality since I will be adding my own pinstriping when off-roading, but wanted to still look good enpugh for the occasional auto shows that I like going to. So overall, I am very happy with the results and the paint shop has been great to work with too.

Here are a few more for you!





Hood vent detail:


Rear quarter view:


Showing door jambs and color tie-in with redone interior:
Jealous of your carpet over anything else.
 
If I could afford repainting mine, this would be the color. Fantastic job 🔥 🔥 🤩

Are those the teq customs headlights? Do you like them?

I drove my wife nuts trying to decide which color I wanted. Initially, I was strong on going green ranging from repainting it the orignal Emerald Green to the newest 4Runner or Tacoma lime green varaints and everything in between. But I always been partial to orange and the throwback burnt orange color works nicely with black (accessories) and brown (interior) so thought it would be perfect.

Yes, both the headlights and tail lights are from TEQ but the headlights are custom built. I wanted to simulate the older non-US quad headlight look but with a modern twist. The running lights look very cool by themselves but the full LED treatment when turned fully on is like driving a modern vehcile as the output is fantastic. The halos turn flashing yellow as the turn signals too.
Jealous of your carpet over anything else.
I am more proud of the sound deadening treatment I did underneath as that was a lot of work...lol. But after cleaning the old matting and glue completely off, I applied Kilmat under the dash, seats, and in the doors and rear fenders. It added a lot of weight but the 1 decibel in noise reduction was worth it! :rolleyes:



 
Went for a ride in Bankhead Forest.
IMG_1952.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom