What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (65 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lost a hub cap earlier this year. Found a set from a fellow muddier, but were painted black. Finally had weather warm enough to paint. Three of the old ones and one of the replacements. Here are before and after pictures. Real happy with the results.

EA6CBBC3-64A4-4F65-8799-8B8DD821A2B4.jpeg

C97B3A5E-2DBB-4F64-97BE-096AD57FA4A3.jpeg

Last edited:
EIther that's a bad photo angle or the needle is way off. I replaced my TRD boost guage for that exact reason. The needle should be centered on "0" right now.
Slightly off, hopefully these a way to fix that cause I don't think ill find a new one any time soon.

Slightly off, hopefully these a way to fix that cause I don't think ill find a new one any time soon.

There isn't. No way to take it apart without destroying it. I would test it with a known-correct vacuum pump/low pressure pump to see how far off it is before you rely on what it's telling you. At that point you could do the math in your head to correct it. I got tired of doing that and replaced mine with an Autometer unit.

Depending on where the needle currently rests, you will understate boost/overstate vacuum or vice-versa.

Used the add a fuse that came with the kit and used my rear heater fuse. Temporary until I find a better solution. I was messing around in there while trying different fuses to use and the transmission wouldn’t shift out or park lol. Removed the add a fuse and replaced it with a regular fuse and it worked again. The only one I’ve found to work so far (with ignition power) is the rear heater. It doesn’t lock you out lol.

Spent the better part of my day chasing a giant pumpkin around.

IMGP8783.JPG

As I contemplate life after an 80, the new TRD Sequoia caught my eye as a potential successor (when I can get a clapped out one on craigslist in 20 years). Today I was blessed with the opportunity to take part in a little Toyota press day. Phenomenal powertrain; hybrid + twin turbo = I can pass going uphill? Wild. Really nice road manners. Way more bells and whistles that I could ever ding and toot. Lots of stuff crammed in under the hood but not impossible to service.

My only gripe was due to the third row and hybrid batteries, I was unimpressed with the cargo space.

But can it replace a FZJ80? Unsure. It's certainly a very nice vehicle but I don't think I'm in the target demographic.

New Sequoia target demographic:

Spent the better part of my day chasing a giant pumpkin around.

View attachment 3261764

As I contemplate life after an 80, the new TRD Sequoia caught my eye as a potential successor (when I can get a clapped out one on craigslist in 20 years). Today I was blessed with the opportunity to take part in a little Toyota press day. Phenomenal powertrain; hybrid + twin turbo = I can pass going uphill? Wild. Really nice road manners. Way more bells and whistles that I could ever ding and toot. Lots of stuff crammed in under the hood but not impossible to service.

My only gripe was due to the third row and hybrid batteries, I was unimpressed with the cargo space.

But can it replace a FZJ80? Unsure. It's certainly a very nice vehicle but I don't think I'm in the target demographic.
I love that Solar Octane color. Seen it on a Tundra and a Tacoma but not on a Sequoia or 4Runner. But still love the color, not sure it would look good on a 80 though.

Great job Jason. I needed a set for a new build and had to get a whole axle assy last week.

Thanks, I run into the same issues when building the axles for the coil conversions. Most are destroyed or rusted beyond use.

I hope to get these on the shelf soon after I test fit.

J

Thanks, I run into the same issues when building the axles for the coil conversions. Most are destroyed or rusted beyond use.

I hope to get these on the shelf soon after I test fit.

J

It will Make it easier for the JDM guys to upgrade to the 94+ rear brakes.

Sadly I just spent a fortune on OEM rotors.

Last edited:
New reproduction disc shields for the FZJ80 w/full float rear.

We've got the first sample stamped and dipped. Will be test fitting these in the next couple weeks and if all is good will be a new Trail Tailor offering.

Jason
TT
How about a set for a 14" rotor?

Typical 5k mile oil change, u joint lube and knuckle inspection/fill as needed.
Was also having my ultragauge tell me I had a pending P0420, decided that the O2 sensors could use a freshen up, replaced with the denso P/Ns.
Apparently my front sensor was replaced at some point with a denso, but the gasket took a firm talking to get off (undercarriage is completely rust free). Rear nut was rounded off, so extractor and 4 new nuts and some anti seize later, drove it around a few times and no more pending code.

Other picture shows the importance of some baseline love. I redid my knuckles 2 years ago and saved all the bearings right before I moved. Found one of the trunion bearings searching through a box and organizing all my parts, needless to say woof (had 228K on the clock and never replaced).

20230218_170902.jpg

20230219_155940.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Azca
Back
Top Bottom