What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lastly one of bed up! Have not decided on prop rod or gas struts... struts don't work so well when cold!

20190322_084159.jpg

Lastly one of bed up! Have not decided on prop rod or gas struts... struts don't work so well when cold!

View attachment 1933965

Look through McMaster Carr to appropriately size and select gas struts. You can get them in varying pressures.

I actually did this on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and replaced the rear hatch struts because the brand new struts were not enough to hold it up when it was 5°F outside.

Turns out the weight of the lift at that point on the pivot was over 350 LB (divided by two) so I had to throw in some very high pressure struts, but it works great now in all weather and I don;t have to do pullups to get it down.

That is so cool! So you can leave the bed propped up for bumping around in the truck during the day, and then drop the bed down at night and climb in through the sunroof? That would come close to passing the wife test.... close.

Have any close-up shots of the screens in front of your headlights and/or any details about it?

Yes I have some pics at home, believe it or not they are stainless cooling racks for baking!!!
I looked high and low for something automotive that would protect my Depos and struck out..
So I rednecked my own!
Had them powder coated black.

That is so cool! So you can leave the bed propped up for bumping around in the truck during the day, and then drop the bed down at night and climb in through the sunroof? That would come close to passing the wife test.... close.

Yes, in fact that was a major selling point for the wife on this project! On our RTT with annex she could get below to our chem toilet without having to leave the tent.
She wanted the same ability with this setup so I designed it to accommodate her!

RTT is for sale BTW.. ;)

Last edited:
In fact I can't touch the inside roof when standing inside! Cabinets and bench are next on the list, then a water storage system with a hot water heater (Heat exchanger) for showers and dishes.

I wanted the cockpit to be stock looking, with the sun shade closed you can't tell there is a hatch above you, and it is super quiet no rattles or squeak' s

In the plan to enter from the side door or tailgate with the interior build?

It's much easier to enter through the side door, it's a natural step up with no issues and I'm 6' tall.

I built a custom base and converted it over to a roof replacement pop up. I have numerous pics and plan on posting a build thread.
FYI.. I have less than 5K in the project so far...
Very interested in the pics of how you did that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom