What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to upgrade to disc brakes on my 91 FJ80. So I bought a 1997 LX450 rear axle on e-bay. $500 shipped to AZ as a bonus it has a factory e locker and of course its full float. The axle was located in Massachusetts so I knew I was taking a chance as far as rust was concerned. I guess I'm spoiled living in Arizona because it arrived this past weekend and whoa! The rust is so bad the axle housing is flaking chunks. I planned on buying new rotors, calipers, pads and clips. So the rust on those is a non issue. I also plan to delete the ABS components as they are not needed on my 91. I just don't trust the housing and brackets. Anyone have or know where I can purchase a stripped axle housing? Also, can I use my current 91 housing? I would rather keep it whole but it could be option if I cant find a donor housing. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_4860.jpg
IMG_4861.jpg
IMG_4862.jpg
IMG_4863.jpg
IMG_4864.jpg

Rear quarter Teaser.. ;)
More to follow!

View attachment 1932411
how thick is the aluminum of that campteq that does not look to special i have at work CNC metal bending machine and i can bend up to 15 ' long peace only i m limited to 14 gauge metal otherwise i can make one like that

Something. Don’t quite know exactly what just yet...

:hmm:
9F6B2303-4A8D-4FA4-AB65-A3BEB4377522.jpeg

Wanted to upgrade to disc brakes on my 91 FJ80. So I bought a 1997 LX450 rear axle on e-bay. $500 shipped to AZ as a bonus it has a factory e locker and of course its full float. The axle was located in Massachusetts so I knew I was taking a chance as far as rust was concerned. I guess I'm spoiled living in Arizona because it arrived this past weekend and whoa! The rust is so bad the axle housing is flaking chunks. I planned on buying new rotors, calipers, pads and clips. So the rust on those is a non issue. I also plan to delete the ABS components as they are not needed on my 91. I just don't trust the housing and brackets. Anyone have or know where I can purchase a stripped axle housing? Also, can I use my current 91 housing? I would rather keep it whole but it could be option if I cant find a donor housing. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!View attachment 1932881View attachment 1932882View attachment 1932883View attachment 1932884View attachment 1932885
if it's not too deep it might be fine. But NY talking here.

if it's not too deep it might be fine. But NY talking here.
Thanks for the positive vibes. I'm going to wet sandblast it this weekend. If it doesn't look too terrible, I'll POR15 it and call it good!

Wanted to upgrade to disc brakes on my 91 FJ80. So I bought a 1997 LX450 rear axle on e-bay. $500 shipped to AZ as a bonus it has a factory e locker and of course its full float. The axle was located in Massachusetts so I knew I was taking a chance as far as rust was concerned. I guess I'm spoiled living in Arizona because it arrived this past weekend and whoa! The rust is so bad the axle housing is flaking chunks. I planned on buying new rotors, calipers, pads and clips. So the rust on those is a non issue. I also plan to delete the ABS components as they are not needed on my 91. I just don't trust the housing and brackets. Anyone have or know where I can purchase a stripped axle housing? Also, can I use my current 91 housing? I would rather keep it whole but it could be option if I cant find a donor housing. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!View attachment 1932881View attachment 1932882View attachment 1932883View attachment 1932884View attachment 1932885
Reuse your housing and stick all the guts from the rustbucket in it. That is NASTY

Installed shore power to keep my batteries topped and provide accessory power

View attachment 1929282

Used a bluetooth Victron water proof charger
Mounted to the firewall

View attachment 1929286

NOCO outlet

View attachment 1929285
I love having an onboard charger (CTEK) that takes all the worry from my fridge killing the battery over the weekend in the garage. I found a great space on my rack to put that NOCO port but I need to penetrate the roof again. Soon....
FYI - Bumper won't work for me because I'll always be tripping over the cord in the garage.

I love having an onboard charger (CTEK) that takes all the worry from my fridge killing the battery over the weekend in the garage. I found a great space on my rack to put that NOCO port but I need to penetrate the roof again. Soon....
FYI - Bumper won't work for me because I'll always be tripping over the cord in the garage.

I looked at CTEK but like many other they do not recommend there chargers to be used as a power supply something Victron chargers are good with.

I looked at CTEK but like many other they do not recommend there chargers to be used as a power supply something Victron chargers are good with.
Didn't know that, good to know! I had the CTEK in the garage and already plug in for the fridge so I just wired in the CTEK semi-permanently. It really just keeps the battery charged at home but wouldn't be so great plugged in for true shore power at a camp site. May replace with Victron down the road, I have their Bluetooth Solar Charger and Battery Monitor already. Great stuff!

Check with @arcteryx or @slow95z

Reuse your housing and stick all the guts from the rustbucket in it. That is NASTY
That doesn't work.from semi float to full float.....

Over the weekend, much to my dismay and heartbreaking disappointment, the D light finally went out at 292,300 miles. What’s next, my electric antenna not working?
DFCAB7F8-DB2A-4051-B588-90E7E03F6510.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the weekend, much to my dismay and heartbreaking disappointment, the D light finally went out at 242,000 miles. What’s next, my electric antenna not working?
View attachment 1933127

Wow! 50,000 miles in just a couple days?!?!? Musta been a long, fast trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom