What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (85 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found a shady tree
20180812_131229.jpg

Took Monday off and headed to the hills to catch the Perseid meteor shower. A lot of smoke in the air, wasn't a great show, but still nice to get away and awesome passing the piles and piles of traffic headed back on a Sunday.

View attachment 1766663 View attachment 1766664
I got lucky that northern BC was clear of smoke when I got there Sunday night. Saturday night I couldnt see a thing because of the smoke from fires up there. Seems like the whole west coast is on fire.

In this first one, the left to right streak is a plane. I did not manage to get any of the larger ones in the sky but it was fun just playing with my gear.
OI000448-01.jpeg
OI000430-01.jpeg
OI000455-01.jpeg

In this last image, about 1:30 the smoke was starting to obstruct the view.
OI001034.jpg

Last edited:
I got lucky that northern BC was clear of smoke when I got there Sunday night. Saturday night I couldnt see a thing because of the smoke from fires up there. Seems like the whole west coast is on fire.

In this first one, the left to right streak is a plane. I did not manage to get any of the larger ones in the sky but it was fun just playing with my gear.
View attachment 1766951 View attachment 1766952 View attachment 1766953
In this last image, about 1:30 the smoke was starting to obstruct the view.
View attachment 1766954
Amazing shots...

:cool:

Both trucks rolling with iKampers? How do you like them, i'd like to get into hardshell sometime in future but as family of 4, my options are limited and iKamper seems to be one with biggest room.

LOVE the iKamper. Super quick deploy and stow even on my fairly tall rig. Mattress area is bigger than a California King so plenty of room for my family of four. I installed LED lights, USB power and a tablet mount on the ceiling which makes it just a fun space to hang out and big enough that my 1 yo and 4 yo can romp around while we watch movies.

Can't decide if I like the flat black wheels or not. Had an extra set powdercoated at a buddy's parent-in-laws' shop. I looked at a lot of color options but with the gold/tan body, it was tough to decide. Black is simple but seems boring. The originals were starting to corrode a little so I might clean those up over time and put those back on.

blacks.jpg

The poor Land Cruiser has suffered with both DS and PS floppy side mirrors. My temporary duct tape fix is almost two years old. Oh well, it has worked. I tackled the PS side. I just cut the post and used lamp all thread, a couple of washers, double nuts and blue locktite. I can't recall who posted this fix, but it is slick, easy and sold. I also found that the lower section of the mirror that holds the screw was broken. :( JB Steel weld to the rescue :bounce:. I'm not sure it will be a long term fix so I may go with plastic welding if this fails. The hardest parts were the grinding the JB Steel Weld to fit nicely and worse removing all the duct tape residue.

No more flop!

IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2493.jpg

My recommendation is to be careful on the all thread length so the wiring can reach the mirror. I learned the hard way on this one. In the picture you can see what I thought was the final assembly. I had to take it all apart and trim the all thread so the wiring could reach the mirror. I used some rubber bushings to help prevent wire chafing as well.

No more flop! The DS will be more difficult. The upper mounting points on the its bracket were broken when I bought the LC over 13 years ago. In my zeal to fix it I used RTV. I'm not sure how to pop the mirror off without breaking it. I'll play with it this weekend. Total cost was about $2 and the gas to go to ACE.

The thing that I think got me into Land Cruisers was the line in the Grateful Dead song Sugar Magnolia about jumping like a Willy's in four wheel drive and that eventually made me a convert to Mr. T.

Man, I can't believe Jerry has been dead for all of this. I bet he would have loved it. He would have only have been 76 last week. Just lay off the heroin and donuts kids. Still awesome as far as dudes go though. He had clean closets.

One of my fave moments in all of my life was to see this live.

Last edited:
@Red Merle

I just spent the last few hours wheeling a local area and playing the old cassette bootleg of the one Dead show that I saw in '94. My 80 is my first car with a cassette deck in quite a while and it's been a blast rediscovering all of the old music I used to listen to back in the 90s, including a lot of JGB and dead shows. Back then I wheeled a Willy's and loved the Sugar Magnolia lyric, though I never jumped my jeep. Jerry's music has aged well in my opinion and is a great compliment to cruising around in an 80 series.

@Red Merle

I just spent the last few hours wheeling a local area and playing the old cassette bootleg of the one Dead show that I saw in '94. My 80 is my first car with a cassette deck in quite a while and it's been a blast rediscovering all of the old music I used to listen to back in the 90s, including a lot of JGB and dead shows. Back then I wheeled a Willy's and loved the Sugar Magnolia lyric, though I never jumped my jeep. Jerry's music has aged well in my opinion and is a great compliment to cruising around in an 80 series.
That is so good to hear in my opinion. Say what you will about different types of music, but if you like music, you can find good reason to file Jerry's style among one of the more appealing types available.

As for guys that are still alive. I am on the Mark Knopfler band wagon. I just love this song. It's almost perfect...

Can't decide if I like the flat black wheels or not. Had an extra set powdercoated at a buddy's parent-in-laws' shop. I looked at a lot of color options but with the gold/tan body, it was tough to decide. Black is simple but seems boring. The originals were starting to corrode a little so I might clean those up over time and put those back on.

View attachment 1767238

Don't trip, it looks good.

9292128B-2E9D-4DFF-AB18-A7AD83FC5725.jpeg
Just recently painted my original wheels. I had been running a set of FJ Cruiser 17s. The originals were looking rough! Four of them cleaned up very well... one not so much. Here is the finishing touch for my now flat black original FZJ ‘94 alloy 16s. Yeah that’s Testor’s model paint. Hope it holds up ok :(

View attachment 1767684 Just recently painted my original wheels. I had been running a set of FJ Cruiser 17s. The originals were looking rough! Four of them cleaned up very well... one not so much. Here is the finishing touch for my now flat black original FZJ ‘94 alloy 16s. Yeah that’s Testor’s model paint. Hope it holds up ok :(
Put a quality clear coat to protect it. Make sure it's compatible with the Tester's enamel and whatever the black paint is.

Last edited:
How have you been on this forum for so long and only now got the bhicks cupholder? o_O

How have you been on this forum for so long and only now got the bhicks cupholder? o_O
who needs cup holders, i know my RX-7 never came with one...need both hands on the steering wheel or when shifting.
JK....i think he has the single cup holder version previously

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom