What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How durable is that plastidip stuff? I've actually never used it before. I power wash mine a lot and wonder if it will come right off.
I painted the outer rings on my trd wheels that were on my old LX. I did it at least a year before I sold it and the guy is still driving it with them that way. It's been on there a few years now. If anything does happen, just pull it off and do it again.

IMG_4380.JPG

I greased both shafts and performed a DIY transmission service. Cleaned the magnets and the pan, installed a new strainer and ran 16 qts worth of fresh ATF through the transmission. The shift quality definitely improved and I have some peace of mind knowing the fluid is fresh and clean.

Drove 5 hours through frozen icy roads to the meat market!

View attachment 1425744
Okay, it wasn't yesterday, it was last month. We're building a home for a Rancher in Eastern WA on the Snake River, he gave me a damage tag for a doe deer, so I hit the road at 5am, drove to the ranch, got the tag, drove out to the river and took a doe from a herd of 30 deer.
I can't say enough for these rigs in the snow and ice! I tested her out and they just grab!
Here is the crime scene and drop to the river.

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

I can tell you that these tires are impressive! Firestone MT, they have great road manners, great on ice and snow, no real road noise, aggressive looking and a great price for a real MT tire. I can't think of a better tire for this rig!

IMG_0523.JPG

I greased both shafts and performed a DIY transmission service. Cleaned the magnets and the pan, installed a new strainer and ran 16 qts worth of fresh ATF through the transmission. The shift quality definitely improved and I have some peace of mind knowing the fluid is fresh and clean.
What trans fluid did you use. I've been thinking about doing that myself.

Arailt, I used the Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It's about $20 per gallon and is a suitable sub for Toyota WS. Besides being almost half as expensive, it's also a full synthetic. Interestingly enough, there is a guy who went on a huge rant about Toyota WS fluid and backed it up with some facts and a bit of hypothesis. In case you don't want to read the full 15 page thread, the cliffs notes are:

- Toyota knows that WS isn't good for 100,000 miles but realizes most problems encountered would be after the warranty period
- Toyota made a business decision to claim it was good for 100K miles in order to avoid environmental fees imposed by the gov't
- Toyta WS fluid does not handle heat well - backed by MSDS and flashpoint/viscosity data

WS transmission fluid is garbage . Get it out of your transmission now

Arailt, I used the Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It's about $20 per gallon and is a suitable sub for Toyota WS. Besides being almost half as expensive, it's also a full synthetic. Interestingly enough, there is a guy who went on a huge rant about Toyota WS fluid and backed it up with some facts and a bit of hypothesis. In case you don't want to read the full 15 page thread, the cliffs notes are:

- Toyota knows that WS isn't good for 100,000 miles but realizes most problems encountered would be after the warranty period
- Toyota made a business decision to claim it was good for 100K miles in order to avoid environmental fees imposed by the gov't
- Toyta WS fluid does not handle heat well - backed by MSDS and flashpoint/viscosity data

Haha nice. I know Gearcruncher from TW. I was actually just talking about how I swapped the junk WS for MaxLife in my old Tacoma in another thread. I'm going to do the same in the GX soon. Just wondered what else people were using.

Interesting.

Will a dealer do a fluid exchange if you bring a specific fluid in? I would strongly consider going to Amsoil's offering.

I installed my new RTT from Freespirit Recreation 2 nights ago and put it up today for the kids to play around in and driveway camp tonight. My first RTT after a long time researching, planning, saving, and this is the FSR series XL canopy version. Was a great value with top-notch service from Casey at FSR. Arrived with free shipping in less than a week, 5% discount and free upgrade to both telescoping ladders. One of the largest sleeping areas of any RTT (78x96) and I totally dig the colors.

IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG

Okay, it wasn't yesterday, it was last month. We're building a home for a Rancher in Eastern WA on the Snake River, he gave me a damage tag for a doe deer, so I hit the road at 5am, drove to the ranch, got the tag, drove out to the river and took a doe from a herd of 30 deer.
I can't say enough for these rigs in the snow and ice! I tested her out and they just grab!
Here is the crime scene and drop to the river.

View attachment 1426954

View attachment 1426955

Awesome! My kind of update, thx for sharing.

How durable is that plastidip stuff? I've actually never used it before. I power wash mine a lot and wonder if it will come right off.

I've had plastidip on my 80 (grill, emblems) and previous E39 530i (wheels) for quite some time - numerous trips to the carwash never removed it, it's pretty darn good but also relatively easy to manually peel off if you change your mind (meaning it's not permanent if you don't like it). Touchups are also pretty simple as well after the inevitable scrapes or curb rashes happen, tape/masking/spray and you're back to looking "purty".

Damn! Size Must Matter? :p

Hope you have a crane on your property to load that thing on. Or is your GX not your daily driver?
Believe it or not I actually loaded it onto the roof by hand, alone. Not kidding- I took off the ladders, removed the mattresses and everything else that could be taken out. Then psyched myself up, took a deep breath and lifted the damn thing onto the GX. Right away I could feel that it was the wrong decision and I've had 2 massages in the last 2 days to remove the stiffness in my neck! I'm not ready to concede to my age sometimes and have to pay for it afterwards. :( And no the GS in the background is the DD so I won't likely be taking the RTT off too often.

I installed my new RTT from Freespirit Recreation 2 nights ago and put it up today for the kids to play around in and driveway camp tonight. My first RTT after a long time researching, planning, saving, and this is the FSR series XL canopy version. Was a great value with top-notch service from Casey at FSR. Arrived with free shipping in less than a week, 5% discount and free upgrade to both telescoping ladders. One of the largest sleeping areas of any RTT (78x96) and I totally dig the colors.

Keep us informed as to the GX's road manners with that motel atop your rig.....looks awesome!

Believe it or not I actually loaded it onto the roof by hand, alone. Not kidding- I took off the ladders, removed the mattresses and everything else that could be taken out. Then psyched myself up, took a deep breath and lifted the damn thing onto the GX. Right away I could feel that it was the wrong decision and I've had 2 massages in the last 2 days to remove the stiffness in my neck! I'm not ready to concede to my age sometimes and have to pay for it afterwards. :( And no the GS in the background is the DD so I won't likely be taking the RTT off too often.

Ha - you were probably typing this as I was wondering how the heck you got it up there :). I'm also party to blissful denial of my age - misery loves company......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom