What did you do on your 70 series today? (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a new black hub fan clutch. With the additional plumbing of the air to water intercooler, this was a bit more of a PITA than I thought it was gonna be. For this task, I need smaller hands. My girlfriend thinks they are fine the size they are :)

Brakes will have to wait until I can clean out the garage from Florence preparation ....

Nothing today but yesterday I turned the cruiser around and drove home after seeing a white smoke screen in the rear view mirror.
I hope it is only the turbo.

Went out today in the rain to use a block leak test kit.
I noticed the signs of a terribly hot turbo; melted silicone air intake hose.
In this pic the turbo is immediately to the left of the melted hose.
upload_2018-9-17_17-19-50.png

Yeah, I’d say it got a bit toasty ....

Completed the emergency brake job I started in post 3165 https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-did-you-do-on-your-70-series-today.804784/page-159#post-11890172

Rather than use the pads I got from @cruiseroutfit i went ahead and used the chop saw to tweak the AutoZone pads to in order for them to fit. I am saving the good pads for when I tear down the knuckles and get the rotors resurfaced. I verified the pads from Kurt are correct as they matched the old ones with the exception of actually having friction material on them. The AZ pad really were 4 outers.

No pics as it is still 87F and gotta be 225% humidity.

Checked the rear pads and they have better than 50% life left. Noticed that the LSPV is in the stock position. I am wondering if I need to relocated it a bit similar to what is required when lifting an 80 or mini truck.

Did my first oil and filter change on the 3B since owning this rig, went with 15w-40 Rotella T4 and OEM filter #1560041010
Found a huge rock in the oil pan. At first, I thought it was metal and was really bummed, but after wiping off some of the oil it started to look like a rock.
I hit it with a hammer and it turned to dust, it was quarts.
Weirdest thing I ever saw. Brand new oil drain pan on a rock free surface.
Where did it come from? Japan? LOL

She is purring like a kitten now, however with winter coming I'm wondering if should I have gone with a different oil? I live in PNW.
Any advice?
238800km on a 85 BJ70 JDM

lilblue018.jpg

I run Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 in my 13BT and my 6BT Cummins.

The BJ71 is in the shop to get some AC work done but after studying late tonight(grad school) I decided to tack one of the sliders together. Wheel to wheel is 50-51". When the BJ gets back, I'll start working on mocking them up and getting the supports built and welded up for install. Building these with 1.75 DOM and 11 gauge 2x2. Front to rear of the DOM is 45". I left a little extra 2x2 on each end for when I get the LC back. Probably overkill for the little LC but oh well.

BJ71 Sliders 1.jpeg

Only the front of the my new toy HZJ73 got OME springs(heavies for winch/bar)...so before the big meet up in TN, I figured we'd better outfit the rear with the proper rears....had a bit of a sagging rear.

The rear spring hanger pin was a little strange....seems like the GP4 OME part is what will work....51mm hole in hanger. ARBs application guide called for the wrong pin(GP1 maybe).

The GP4 pin is for a 75 series....strange. Hope it works. We could barely get the old one out...had completely bonded to the bushing. incredible how fused together they were.

20180918_144448.jpg

Trying out some China lights for the TN meet up...

20180919_115506.jpg

Odd Iron is a distributor for the Aurora lights and has sold a number of them. The feedback has been very positive
so I'm sure you'll be equally happy.

They seem to be VERY well built lights. We bought 4 sets a while back for various trucks/projects to demo. Just getting around to installing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom