We're in! '99 LX - new to us! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A nice shot of the rear bumper...

6-4-16 063.jpg

I got serious about the AHC system in this rig before we went out to the canyon country of Utah to play around.

This thread has some great info on caring for your AHC: Definitive list of AHC maintenance items

I started by ordering up a Tech Stream cable and taking a look at the system pressures:

3-18-2017-3-05-56-pm-jpg.1423267

Not bad, the front sensors are pretty far off.

Next was bleeding the system to replace all the old fluid. The "one can" method is described in the above thread, and here: AHC Fluid Change How To -- Need Input

This helped the ride some, and my graduation test (L to H) came out at 10 lines. Front pressure looks nice after fluid change, but my cross level is not there, sensors are too far out, rear pressures are high:

3-19-2017-3-28-21-pm-jpg.1423984

At this point I still didn't understand that to cross level you decrease pressure on the high side TB, and tighten the low side TB, so I put a bunch of turns on the DS TB to try to cross level.
I also threw some 30mm spacers in, and that got the rear pressures down - w/in spec!

3-19-2017-5-59-46-pm-jpg.1424351

I did not have a good understanding that you want to target 6.9 as your front pressure, but I did figure out the proper way to cross-level involved tightening and loosening. That change led to the following:

3-21-2017-7-34-39-pm-loosen-tb-5-n-2-turns-28-25inch-both-sides-jpg.1426217

I finally figured out how to properly set height with the height sensors and measure vehicle height. After getting height correct and tweaking TBs a little more, I got my front pressures nailed, but the rears are high. At this point I felt I had been playing with the AHC too much - I saw the oil temp climbing up, perhaps causing increased pressure? Now I feel I have done all the adjusting I could, next steps include ordering a set of King springs and throwing those in w/o the spacers.

4-23-2017-4-44-21-pm-jpg.1446992

Spacers:

IMG_0595.JPG

Last edited:
Doesn't look like I have been doing a good job of updating my thread!

In July I threw some King springs in the rear before we went to the Black Hills Cruiser Classic:

img_1699-jpg.1496838

A bit thicker than the factory LX springs, but softer than 100 springs.

Having a forklift made for a quick install:

img_1700-jpg.1496837

More details here: King Springs AHC KTRS-79

Did the king coils fix your rear pressures? And if you wanna sell those spacers, lemme know.

Did the king coils fix your rear pressures? And if you wanna sell those spacers, lemme know.

I don't know! My computer died before I could check pressures. I have a new Win 7 machine, but I cannot get the cable driver to work...

After all that time spent on the rack and rotating tires, I didn't feel good about going into winter on the existing BFG AT KOs.

Abe was showing a lot of shoulder. As best as I could measure, I was at 3/16's of an inch. There was also some dry rot or cracking in the tread.

I heard nothing but good things about the KO2s, so off to the tire store for some new shoes. 285/75 R16 seem like a good size for stock LX w/ AHC. A little under 33", no rubbing, not too wide, not too skinny.

She feels good with King springs in the rear, new rack & TREs up front, and new rubber. We will check alignment one more time as the wheel is a little off center now. Regardless, she feels like a good machine again! I have to figure out how to get TechStream working so I can look at the suspension pressures...

4 Nov 2017 018.JPG
4 Nov 2017 019.JPG
4 Nov 2017 024.JPG
4 Nov 2017 025.JPG

Back to this question...

First of all, I tried to aggregate all the AHC wisdom that @PADDO has kindly shared with us: Definitive list of AHC maintenance items

Next, I had get TechStream working again on my computer after my wife's little Chihuahua peed on my old laptop and killed it. Anyone in need of TechStream - I highly recommend this approach - huge thanks to @getco - How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes

Now, on to the readings:

AHC 4-15-18.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom