Weber "washable" air filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Herb

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys...

My weber carb is using a filter that I think is gauze...its white and wrapped in a fine wire mesh. I've heard that these things are washable....but how?

Then, if I do wash it....is this the type of filter that requires oil?

Thanks for any insight....

Doug
Cruiser and Bikes 009small.jpg

K&N makes a filter recharge kit. Should work well with this type of filter. Contains cleaning solvent and re-oil mix. Will need to let the filter air dry (overnight?) before re-oiling. Note: be sure to wash the filter in the reverse of the air flow.

K&N is not the only stuff which will work but an easy to find solution.

I wouldn't be to surprised if K&N made that filter but as a non-branded item.

HTH,
Cahil

Hey Cahil, thanks for the information.

I've never oiled this thing...just pulled it from the packaging and slapped it on. So, do they really need to be oiled?

It needs to be oiled if you want it to collect anything smaller than pea gravel. I've got the oil; if you're in the New Baltimore/Warrenton Metroplex area just stop by.

just pulled it from the packaging and slapped it on. So, do they really need to be oiled?

The filters are pre-oiled form the factory. I bet the package you pulled it from was a sealed cellophane or plastic wrapper ?

After cleaning they need to be dried and then oiled. If your vehicle does not have a Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) theses are great filters. There have been issues with over oiling and confusing/contaminating the MAF.

Cahil

P.S. I really like this style of filter. It really helps keep old (non-re-usable) filters out of the land fills.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys. I will just order one of those "re-charge" kits with the cleaner and the oil.

The only MAF sensor my vehicle has is my face....

Yep, I've seen it. It needs to be replaced. :D

Where did you order the recharge kit?

BTW, is that a new radiator?

...good one Dave!

I haven't ordered the kit yet, but I'll let you know. Actually, I'll just bring it to a meeting and you can use it.

That is the radiator that came with the truck...why? Is it in good shape relative to yours?

mmmm. are all filters 'oiled'. this was a new one for me. i thought you were refering to the old oil bath filters.

mmmm. are all filters 'oiled'. this was a new one for me. i thought you were refering to the old oil bath filters.

Only the reusable kind. The K&N filter in my sentra is oiled. Regular paper filters are not oiled.

Reusable filters are generally supposed to be more "breathable" which means there's more space between the fibers of whatever they're made of. That's great in that you get more air (and its oxygen) into the engine, but it also means you're letting in larger particles than you would with paper. The oiling process makes it so those particles stick to the filter, even when they would have physically fit through the filter.

AFAIK, that is.

interesting. you impress me with your knowledge.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom