Warn Zeon Platinum remote mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Haven't really used my Platinum 12-S yet but am aware of the potential issue of the remote being dead leaving you with a dead winch. If the battery of the remote, you should be able to use it with the USB power cable plugged in. I found this interesting solution to a self draining battery. Warn remote mod.

Any feedback my Warn Zeon Platinum owners on the battery life of the remote?

Thats brilliant, my biggest complaint is the remote going dead I ordered the magnet switches tonight
Like I said, I haven't used mine yet but couldn't you use a cell phone USB battery back/charger to power the remote if it was dead? I believe it is supposed to work while charging, is that not true?

That was one of the biggest problems I had when selecting a winch for my TJM , my buddy had one with problems , had to go back to warn , I was communicating with warn and from my take is they are aware of the problem of no redundant back up ... I said to the one tech , how had is it to just have added a port to that top of the line winch .
He said they are aware and working on it . I went with a 9.5 xtp is a solid old school and i did the control pack up grade .

Like I said, I haven't used mine yet but couldn't you use a cell phone USB battery back/charger to power the remote if it was dead? I believe it is supposed to work while charging, is that not true?

Yes. That would work.

That was one of the biggest problems I had when selecting a winch for my TJM , my buddy had one with problems , had to go back to warn , I was communicating with warn and from my take is they are aware of the problem of no redundant back up ... I said to the one tech , how had is it to just have added a port to that top of the line winch .
He said they are aware and working on it . I went with a 9.5 xtp is a solid old school and i did the control pack up grade .
I don’t see why it would be difficult to add a wired remote, if you need that kind of redundancy. Go over to the winching and recovery forum and you will see people rewiring winch solenoids all the time. Granted, it isn’t generally on a new winch, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it. My cheap Warn has nothing wired and wireless from the same controller, so I know it is possible. The winch itself doesn’t know the difference, it is just the control box, solenoid pack, electronics around the solenoid (remote receiver), plug and how you wire it up.

I don’t see why it would be difficult to add a wired remote, if you need that kind of redundancy. Go over to the winching and recovery forum and you will see people rewiring winch solenoids all the time. Granted, it isn’t generally on a new winch, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it. My cheap Warn has nothing wired and wireless from the same controller, so I know it is possible. The winch itself doesn’t know the difference, it is just the control box, solenoid pack, electronics around the solenoid (remote receiver), plug and how you wire it up.
I agree adding a wired remote should be possible. Not sure I need that as long as I have a reasonable solution for a dead remote battery. I would think that just keeping it on the charger while on the trail would generally be adequate to keep it charged when I am more likely to need it. I’ll use it first before I “fix” it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom